Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020

Notices

Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020

Old 01-24-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

FRIDAY!

It's been a particularly irksome week for me, in many ways. I'm very happy it's nearly the weekend.

I must be the only person I know who has not watched "Stranger Things" yet. It's on the list. Might dive in this weekend. If I have time. I have a fairly long list of practical things to do. More than usual. I do have plans to go see "The Rise of Skywalker" with my man friend on Sunday. We will go to a matinee, and then grab an early dinner somewhere. Home by 7-8. For you young folks, this is how old people date. Movies during the day, early bird specials for dinner, then home early so we can be asleep by 9 or 10 at the latest.

STDragon - I like the idea of a snow luge! We don't quite have enough snow for that yet this year. But that would be a hoot.

Well done on the sober concert, Red. I really like concerts much better sober. I've been to quite a few in the last 5 years. I was a little worried about the first one, but it was so much fun that I forgot about drinking pretty much right away. Same with the first baseball game, party, fishing trip, etc. It's so refreshing to not have to worry about the alcohol.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Jr67
Q1. What's a coney, besides a barrier beach area in Brooklyn with a pretty amazing roller coaster that jr rode on his thirtieth birthday?

Answer: it's what we put our ice creamies in.

Don't know the rest...
Old 01-24-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

We have coyotes that howl sometimes just after dusk.

Leaving work early for a late lunch date with wife. The closest thing I get to dating.

Talked to wife last night about what I'm doing, after two weeks without getting smashed and stashing piles of empty beer cans in the utility room closet. After 27 years together, we're in uncharted waters now. Good so far.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

MLD, I hope next week is less irksome. Hope you like the star wars movie.

I think we are going to see 1917 this weekend. I'm an amateur history buff and love these types of movies.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

We saw 1917 last week. It's very good.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow I hope you enjoy your activities.

Red, yaaay a sober concert

Bim, the coyote looks a bit like a wolf , I think.

Marty a matinee and early bird dinner sounds great! My kinda time too.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Friday Weekenders!

here's some scary wolf howling for you Bim:

Old 01-24-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

So - andyh, you know that's a dog, right? Yeah, see, I didn't want to put that screaming sound in peoples' homes. Their poor pets...

Coyotes do look like small wolves. Very successful urban dwellers. I would think they would do well in England.

http://www.compareanimal.com/2018/09...gray-wolf.html
Old 01-24-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
So - andyh, you know that's a dog, right?
ah, that'll be why it's not eating the small child, I did wonder*.

* I didn't really.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

The zookeepers go into the habitat with the wolf pack at the zoo, but they don't go in alone and they always face in opposite directions or one of them is in there strictly as a watcher. I think I've said that before in this thread.

I don't have a problem with wolves eating small children.

But I was raised by wolves. Or near enough.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders SendSleep and Sober53?

Congratulations on doing a festival alcohol free Red78!

jr, I am a big fan of hardman, there is a new Wallace and Gromit short out about threats to sea turtles. It is quite a tough watch though.

I recommend Spiral. It's a French detective drama. Superb.

Nearly hometime here. I desperately need a haircut but I've not had time, it's a shambles.

I wonder who this is about? I like Roisin Murphy, she is playing at Camden in a few weeks, I might see if I can persuade someone to go with me, assuming there are any tickets left.

https://youtu.be/88p6AwgZNaw

Old 01-24-2020, 12:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Tch! "hardman" should be Aardman. Predictive text is a menace sometimes.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I read a share on f/b...a photo of a very large eolk-like dog..with a pocket dog next to it.
The caption read- 'Your miniature dog would kill mine. He would choke on it'.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:31 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders, I need to talk to you guys... I don’t want to get into too much detail but I’m feeling some urges to drink due to a relationship drama that I’ve gotten myself into... My boyfriend and I have been together around 1 year, we also live together. Yesterday I found out that that he has a 9 years old daughter. Apparently his ex girlfriend has messaged him last night saying that his daughter wants to get to know him.

To be honest, I’m freaking out... a little?? I never wanted kids myself, I avoid my own family so I’m far from any sort of drama and this entire situation is just too hard for me. Am I being selfish for considering leaving this relationship? I love my bf and I care so much about him, but I want a drama-free life and I can’t stop thinking about how complicated things may get. I feel like I’ve only just started knowing and trying to like myself sober and I’m still figuring stuff out.

I believe he wants to take some responsibility and he would like to be a part of his daughter’s life now, but he hates his ex-girlfriend as supposedly some awful stuff happened between them... He believes he can ‘inspire’ his child to be a ‘better person than her mother’. Wtf? This is so messed up! They don’t even live in the same country. I don't want to take any part in this mess and I suppose I could take a step back and let him figure it out himself, but I can’t just... stop overthinking.

We’ve had so many arguments over the past two days and he’s mad at me for not being ‘supportive’. He said I really hurt him for not supporting him when he really needed it and that I only think about myself. I agree that I said some hurtful stuff I now regret. I’m very insecure and can be emotional.

I’m not going to drink (almost 13 months sober, yay!), but I do feel a strong urge for reaching for something that would dull my feelings.

I’m so sorry for this soap opera, guys... I’m glad I could type it all out. Thank you
Old 01-24-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

((snuf))

So, he just found out about her? Or did he have this secret he kept from you?

I guess that's not the issue, is it?

Do you love him?

A nine year old in another country m a y or may not become a big drama. Can you let it play out a little more until you see what she's like? It's not really *your* issue to worry about solving, other than do you want to see what happens or do you want to walk away. I know it's complicated...you might absolutely love her and/or you may only see her once - or never! I know several women who didn't want their own kids but ended up adoring their step-kids. Part time parenting is a whole lot easier than full-time...so there's that.

One day at a time, lovely. I might start by apologizing for whatever hurtful things I said in the heat of the moment. That helps me feel better right away, and it clears the air and leads back to positivity.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

oops, I edited

You'd think I'd stop doing that, but NO!
Old 01-24-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Im so sorry snufkin..... thats some serious relationship drama. Stay strong, a clear head is needed right now. A nine year old might be okay, no diapers and 3 am feedings. But the betrayal must be devastating. My advice, get some space, yoga, maybe go see 1917 the movie, go browse some stores, mani/pedi. Take care of you and get some breathing room.
I too am having the worst urges too, 20 days sober. Just feeling relationships aren’t good for me. I value my freedom so much. I always get hurt, I’m not good for anyone. I feel like getting drunk. I’ll have to white knuckle through this right now. Going to nap then gym.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim! He claims that his ex was cheating on him and didn’t want to do the paternity test so he’s not 100% sure if it’s his child... But at the same time he’s acting like he has no doubts so it’s hard to tell.

I know it’s not really ‘my’ issue, but the story is very confusing. I wish it didn’t bother me so much, but I’m upset. D:

Anyway, I’ll try to get some sleep. Thanks again guys for being here!
Old 01-24-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness.

I didn't mean you shouldn't be upset, and that part IS your issue, I just meant I don't know that you have a lot of control over a horse that has already left the barn, so to speak. I mean it's going to be tense for a little while, and it definitely sounds complicated.

I hope you gain some clarity.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Tch! "hardman" should be Aardman. Predictive text is a menace sometimes.
Thanks saoutchik.

I was about to ask what is hardman. Now I get to ask what is Aardman? I'm guessing it's the producer or artist behind Wallace and Gromit?

And if the Wallace and Grommit is tough to watch because it tugs your heart for endangered sea turtles I definitely want to see it. Is the W & G on line somewhere, like Youtube, or one of the paid services like Netflix? Do you know whether the old cartoons, or what do you call them, animations? are available on line somewhere?

I'll put Spiral on my list. I'm pretty sure we're going on a tour de France this summer (small T tour, not the bike race) so it's time to start some French immersion.

I posted a little while back about The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, a v. cool movie, Catherine Deneuve's first film I believe, directed by Jacques Tati. Have you ever seen it? Beautiful!