Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the Weekenders

Really! A sober weekend?

Where you can wake up hangover free.

A place you can enjoy your waking hours with no boozy haze.

Going for a walk on the beach, or a hike up the hills, many hobbies we couldn’t partake of well, whilst drinking or nursing hangovers.

This Sober weekend, shall we embrace our Sobriety, enjoy the freedom from the crutch of alcohol?

Let’s have an enjoyable Sober Weekend.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes.

(Psst. We’re not just here to talk about the good stuff, if you’re struggling.....shout out).
(We’re here all week too!)

Old 01-23-2020, 01:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 01-23-2020, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in, I'm starting to hang out for this thread every Thursday night now lol
Old 01-23-2020, 02:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Red
Old 01-23-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hi Red
Hi Mags, thanks for the thread..
Old 01-23-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags.

every week, without fail, when the new thread appears I say to myself, "Thursday already, where's the week gone?" I much be having too many adventures.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm gonna really need this place tomorrow night..
I've got a rock concert to go to tomorrow night.
Been checking out the bands as I didn't know them all

The Vibes
Dead Favours
Skinny Hobos
Devilskin
Wolfmother

I've seen the last 2 and they are pretty good so hopefully just the music itself can keep me going and focused..

I'm 98% sure I won't drink, a new experience, just worried about not enjoying the experience...

I remembered that I had been to a concert sober before, 21 years ago in Perth, the big day out. I had no money therefore no drink and my bf only bought himself drinks and took acid, so I spent the day with a bunch of people drinking whilst I was sober, I would've been very drunk if I had the money so it wasn't a pleasant experience for me. What I do remember is every little bit of being in the moshpit for marilyn manson, it's still very clear to this day.. Can't say the same for all other concerts..
Focus on the positive, I will remember the evening..
Old 01-23-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Waking up sober is right up my alley, please count me in.

Thanks, Mags!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey weekenders.

I posted the following quiz in last weekend's weekender, but that ended, and this weekender has begun, so I am carrying it forward.

Some people (you know who you are) have said it's no fun because I don't always tell the answers to my quizzes. I make no promises about the future, but I decided to bring the old quiz here and see what I could do.

Quiz:

1. What is the (amusing) name of the trompe-l'oeil wall on the green (or whatever that large open space is called) in the city of Bath?

A1. It is called a haha wall. If you are the king, and you are standing looking out the second-floor window of your castle facing the vast green lawn that slopes down before you to the edge of the distant wood, maybe it looks like a vast green lawn that gently slopes down before you to the edge of the distant woods.

But in fact, the lawn only goes halfway to the woods before there is a vertical 10-foot drop like a cliff along your entire vista from left to right. After this steep drop-off, the lawn continues on its vast way all the way to the edge of the woods.

However, from your vantage point from your window from your counting-house, where you are counting all your money, while your queen is in the parlor, eating bread and honey, it looks like, as we said, one vast uninterrupted expanse of green. You can't tell that there's a drop-off.

Haha. The king is easily amused.

It's kind of like an infinity pool. But there's no water.

2. Why is it called Bath?

Q2. There is a Roman bath there.

3. How many were there going to St. Ives?

A3. Ya got me, I can't find my abacus.

4. What was the name of my cruise ship?

A4. The Queen Elizabeth 2, but how are you supposed to know that? A: Easy: I just told you. (Pay attention.)

5. From what port did I sail by ferry towards France, bicycle and all, after my bike ride in England?

A5. Portsmouth, but how are you supposed to know that? A: Easy. (See A4.)

6. On which Channel Island did I stay a rainy two nights and a full day before continuing on to France?

A6. Guernsey. Like the cows. Not that I met any personally, but I like the idea of cows in general. I just wish they would make a little more effort to control their, you know, ... methane emissions. It's getting kind of warm around here.

7. What is the name of the French port in which I actually had to try to use my rusty elementary French for the first time?

7a. Cherbourg, mes amis.

8. What was the name of Catherine Deneuve's first movie?

A8. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg). 1964. Directed by Jacques Demy. Beautiful, sweet, poignant, funny, sad, bittersweet romance of first love and then some. All the dialogue is sung (in French, mais oui, but of course, dear reader, you can see it with subtitles). The tune will torture you as an earworm for days. Highly recommended (the movie, not necessarily the earworm part, but it's not so bad, kind of pleasant, actually.

9. Was it still raining when I arrived at the answer to Q7?

A9. I don't remember, that was more than 33 years ago. I take that back. I was traveling by bicycle, so I remember the rainy days. It was not raining. I remember the sunny days too, But it still was not raining.

10. How great is that movie after all these years?

A10. Very. We watched it sometime in 2019. Still enchants. And she is tres tres beautiful, and Nino Castelnuevo is tres tres handsome. They make beautiful music together.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

A3: one. just you. everyone else was going the other direction.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm here on the journey with you.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im in
Old 01-23-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!!

Currently sat here on my day off work, nice long shower earlier, and now enjoying a cup of tea, and a slice of peanut butter on toast, just reading online, looking outside at a bright but cool day in Ireland, hangover free, before heading out to do a few errands.

Many years ago, I could only dream of how more calm and peaceful life without alcohol can be, without the daily hangovers, that was for other people I'd convince myself, not something for me.

Anyone struggling this weekend, please just believe in yourself, you deserve so much more in this life, a journey you can be proud of, and there's a whole Forum of support right here to rely upon!!
Old 01-23-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

No one has claimed shotgun, so Shotgun!

Good morning weekenders, thanks for the thread mags, always an adventure waiting for me. Speaking of adventures, I must get ready for work!
Old 01-23-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on Shotgun Dragon
Old 01-23-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags!
In!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_ax6796.jpg (49.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 01-23-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

Weekends are truly to be cherished now. I can get more done before noon on a Saturday than I used to in the whole weekend. I get all of my cleaning and organizing done, mail sorted, grocery shopping done. Usually there's another house project in there somewhere, too. That's if I'm not away from home on a Saturday morning having an adventure! (Kayaking and fishing is best done early in the day).

I'm already looking forward to spring and summer, so much. I live where winters can be really long and brutal. And I really do not like it. We do have some really great weather in the spring, summer, and fall, but winter can go from early November to early May (I'm not kidding) so we all try to cram as much in as we can in those 5 short months when going outside is fun. To be fair, a lot of people here have a lot of fun stuff they do outside in the winter, and I used to, but the older I get, the less I can handle the cold. So today I'm dreaming of kayaking, fishing, hiking, gardening. And whatever other adventures I can find!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I'm in!

Weekends are truly to be cherished now.
For basically all of my adult life, weekends have incorporated alchohol to some degree. It seems to be automatic for many activities, like having mint juleps while watching Kentucky derby at friend's house, or cooler of beer while bbqing. Sometimes it is forced in where it should not be, and by the grace of God has my drinking never been the cause of an accident that resulted in serious injury or death. Sometimes the drinking derails the planned activities, like taking off trash and cleaning shed turns into taking off trash and drinking a 12 pack. So many times has activities with family been forgotten about or postponed due to a hangover.

I'm kind of looking forward to cherishing weekend for something other than the consumption of alcohol. Maybe then I can be a better husband and father.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In!

Thanks Mags!

Not drinking myself senseless from Friday evening to Sunday night means that in effect I have two and a bit days extra weekend out of two and a bit days in total. If that's not a reason to stop drinking then nothing is.

Q. How did St Ives get its name?

A.) It was named after St Ive.

I notice Buzz Aldrin turned 90 this week. Happy Birthday Buzz. One of us too I believe.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in Mags, great thread opener!

MLD51, you too, brilliant post about what can be achieved, by not picking up the drink.

Andy, I didn't know a dog could jump that high, it looks so happy and high, without ethanol!

Happy Birthday Buzz, I always think of the ToyStory Buzz and his logo, 'Above and Beyond', I guess thats all of us Weekenders!