Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020

Notices

Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020

Old 01-23-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
I'm in Mags, great thread opener!

MLD51, Happy Birthday Buzz, I always think of the ToyStory Buzz and his logo, 'Above and Beyond', I guess thats all of us Weekenders!
I always think of him punching that Moon landing denier. Not condoning violence of course but I can definitely empathise.

Trivia - Buzz Aldrin's mother was named Marion Moon before she married Mr Aldrin, talk about nominative determinism. If she'd have been named Marion Uranus instead Buzz's life could have been a whole lot different.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Count me in too.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So happy to see this thread 🧵 I still have another day of work, but ready to full enjoy my weekend and rest. Ill make a delicious breakfast 🥞 during my weekend
Old 01-23-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

love this! Count me in any Netflix recommendations for this weekend? looking for something to distract myself. The Adderall crash has been hard, but hanging in. Happy Thursday!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I started watching Glitch, It's pretty good. Good enough to hook me in.

MLD, get enough snow piled up and you can make a luge and run down it in your kayak... lol
Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SendSleep View Post
love this! Count me in any Netflix recommendations for this weekend? looking for something to distract myself. The Adderall crash has been hard, but hanging in. Happy Thursday!
Just saw Season 3, episode 1 of Stranger Things; we bombed through the first 2 seasons in the last week or 10 days. I guess it's sci fi, which I generally don't go for, but this one has great writing and acting by the adults and the teenage characters. Another one that I love on Netflix is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs from a year or two ago, I think. It's five or six short pieces, Westerns, with separate characters, settings, and stories, by the Coen brothers. I think they're brilliant. Some might find one or two of the stories too violent, but it's that ironic kind of violence as in Fargo. I've watched it 4 or 5 times.

I got more, but memory banks are tapped out for the evening so its time for a quick walkies with the pups and zzz time for them and me, I hope. Walkies? That reminds me, what about Wallace and Grommit? Totally brilliant Brit animated action from when, 20 years ago or something? I don't know whether they're on the flixter, or Amazon Prime, or anywhere, but if anyone knows I'd love to catch them again.

Yeah, hang in there, SendSleep. Hydrate times 3; eat healthy; breathe x=times a googol or so, one at a time.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Welcome to you newbies, thanks for dropping in , you will find lots of lovely people in this thread.

Love the post as always Mags, i really look 4ward to Thursdays :-)

Im in xxx
Old 01-24-2020, 01:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags I知 in
Congratulations on shotgun Dragon

Hi weekenders

I知 heading for the forest this weekend, looking for adventure
I知 not going to drink, but I知 looking for fun stuff to do.
I値l keep you posted!
Old 01-24-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Just saw Season 3, episode 1 of Stranger Things; we bombed through the first 2 seasons in the last week or 10 days. I guess it's sci fi, which I generally don't go for, but this one has great writing and acting by the adults and the teenage characters. Another one that I love on Netflix is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs from a year or two ago, I think. It's five or six short pieces, Westerns, with separate characters, settings, and stories, by the Coen brothers. I think they're brilliant. Some might find one or two of the stories too violent, but it's that ironic kind of violence as in Fargo. I've watched it 4 or 5 times.

I got more, but memory banks are tapped out for the evening so its time for a quick walkies with the pups and zzz time for them and me, I hope. Walkies? That reminds me, what about Wallace and Grommit? Totally brilliant Brit animated action from when, 20 years ago or something? I don't know whether they're on the flixter, or Amazon Prime, or anywhere, but if anyone knows I'd love to catch them again.

Yeah, hang in there, SendSleep. Hydrate times 3; eat healthy; breathe x=times a googol or so, one at a time.
thanks for the recommendations! Will def check them out this weekend and today I have Amazon video which I think is the same thing lol. Started watching Stranger Things and it痴 great!! Happy Day 23, hope it痴 going well! I went to bed early and just woke up now, so much sleep lol. Trying to hydrate, eat healthy and breathe. Going to snack and then maybe sleep a bit more lol. Hope your day is going well
Old 01-24-2020, 01:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mags all those pictures give me ideas for this weekend, things I used to do before drinking became a pastime in itself and left no room or inclination for anything else.
Camping, canoeing, hiking, walking a dog.
Yep, so many fun sober things we used to do before we started drinking, and we can do again!
Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Omgosh I am proud of myself, I just did a rock concert sober! 5 hours of music sober!
I can not hear, my feet are sore and I just ate macdonalds, I never eat that crap, but I AM SOBER!

I very nearly didn't make it, I had to talk myself out of it several times.. Thankfully they didn't sell wine at the concert as I had my mind set on a having a drink at some stage.
It took awhile to warm up but I was able to Dance even, wanted to mosh but felt a bit awkward and unco for that just yet..

So all n all I'm happy with the result..
Old 01-24-2020, 03:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

well done Red
Old 01-24-2020, 04:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
well done Red
Ditto, well done!
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thx guys
Old 01-24-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend
Getting out of bed is enough of an adventure and an achievement for me right now lol
Old 01-24-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oh, well done Red
Old 01-24-2020, 06:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I知 in for the weekend. The first sober weekend in months, so I知 going to do some activities to keep busy!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Way to go setting a good example red.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Friday morning here.

No drinking or drugs will be done by me this weekend. I can't even imagine going back to that misery.

Just as I typed that the coyote pack across the river started up with their howling! I take that as an, "Amen."

In.

I was going to link a youtube "Coyotes Howling" clip, but I won't do that to you.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Reposting this for jr67.

And love and good morning everyone.....massive hugs. ❤️

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Hey SendSleep, top o' the mornin' to ya.

Do you have a bike there in NYC? Prospect Park is a great place to ride, as you know (but some folks from Manhattan, a few subway stops away, or Melbourne, a few thousand miles away and then some, or maybe Mayfair or Malibu, ditto and ditto, may not appreciate). And let's not forget Mayberry, shall we? It's hard to imagine Aunt Bea tearing down the cycle track, but people are full of surprises, whether fictional or IRL, don't you think?

Or, of course, they (the ones in Manhattan) can ride their bikes across the Brooklyn Bridge, but if they've done that (like I have a few times) they probably know about the bike paths in PP.

If not, do you have a bike somewhere else that you could bring into the city?

There's always renting for an hour or a day, right there in Prospect Park I vaguely recall, or nearby. Or if you nail that presentation Tuesday and are still employed, two facts of which I have no doubt, you could buy one, a worthy investment in your health, spirit, and future (continuingly sober) overall self.

Just an idea for you, SS. You too, dear readers from any of those M places, or the rest of the alphabet and globe, but you should probably plan on renting unless you have a bike rack. I've never actually been to Mayberry, but I have a very hard time picturing Aunt Bea loading her Giant or Raleigh racer onto a roof rack and tooling up I-95 to NYC and over to Prospect Park to take a spin, but if she is reading this, she should think about riding it down to Coney Island since she's come so far.

Stranger Things have happened. (I just watched an ep last night, in fact, on the flixter.)

Quiz:

1. What's a coney, besides a barrier beach area in Brooklyn with a pretty amazing roller coaster that jr rode on his thirtieth birthday?

2. What's the name of the roller coaster?

3. What's the name of the amusement park?

4. In what U. S. state do most of the stranger things in Stranger Things take place?

5. Were you born yet?

6. What do you call natives of the answer to Q4?

Extra credit:

7. Name all 3 amusement parks at Coney Island back in the day. I mean today, name all 3 parks from back in the day.

True or false:

8. jr's father was born in the Bedford-Styvesant section of Brooklyn.

9. jr is married to a man who is an answer to Q6.

10. jr is married to a man who is an answer to jr's dreams, who is buttoning up his shirt for work as jr types this Q.

11. jr is married to a man.

12 jr is married.

13. jr is a man.

14. jr is dreaming.

More extra pts:

15. When is jr's father's birthday?

16. What are the ingredients to the mocktail with which jr toasted his father's most recent birthday?

17. If jr is married what date is his anniversary?

18. It's still a few months away but what should jr get for his spouse, if jr is married to either a man or a woman?

19. Which of the following most closely approximates how they say "oil" in Brooklyn, esp. if they were born there before you were born?

(a) erl

(b) earl

(c) duke.

20. In The Patty Duke Show, what Brooklyn neighborhood was the one from which Patty had only seen the sights, while her identical cousin Cathy adored crepes suzettes, the Ballet Russe, and minuets?

21. Do you know how to make crepes suzettes?

22. If the answer to 21 is yes, do you feel like coming over for Sunday brunch? I'll make the Shirley Temple mocktails.

Answers due whenever you get around to it, including never if that's how you feel about it.

Have a good weekend anyway.