Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020

Notices

Waking up to a SOBER WEEKEND - WEEKENDERS 24 - 27 January 2020

Old 01-25-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
[...]It is Burns night tonight in Scotland [...]The most important item in the traditional meal is of course the Haggis. These days all Haggis is farmed although they do say that the endangered and extremely shy wild haggis has a much superior taste. This rare photograph was kindly provided by the Haggis Protection League in Inverness.
^ A great sighting in the wild there, saoutchik.
D'you recommend net or rod?

Old 01-25-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SendSleep View Post
Good morning/afternoon/night to all!

That did make my morning sweeter jr, thank you! I’m actually feeling slightly less tired and a bit more like a human, maybe I’ll leave my house today and do some exploring. I’m trying to make a habit of journaling in the mornings. Think it’s a good way to clear the fog from my mind, I do a lot of writing for my job and I go back to work on Monday, so journaling is a good warm up as well.

It’s weird to think that last weekend I went on my hopefully last Adderall binge which resulted in a long weekend from hell but I found this place and some great people and am now sober so it worked out well I’m going to make the most of this weekend and try to embrace all the feelings as they come. I have a presentation on Tuesday, so I’ll do some prepping for that as well. How is everyone’s Saturday going?
Glad you had a sweet morning, SendSleep, and that you are reenergizing and rehumanizing to the point of considering exploring out of doors. Have you been journaling long, or is that a recent addition to the SendSleep routine? Anything that potentially lessens the pall of the brain-fog is a-ok in my book (figuratively speaking), but we're talking about your book at the moment. Is your book figurative or actual, electronic or hide-bound, spiral-bound, or unbound? You don't have to answer that, or any of these questions for that matter, 'sup to you.

I would exercise extra caution, if I were you, which I'm not, in electronic dissemination of your journal, particularly if it is unbound.

For reasons stated earlier, I am glad you don't live in Staten Island, but if you decide to go out exploring New York City, that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend not going there. Or going there, for that matter. If any reader lives on Staten Island, you may have some suggestions for what a day-tripper might want to see there. I know it is amenable to bicycle riding, because I did the Tour de Staten Island bicycle ride last May.

Little known fact to non-New Yorkers: the Staten Island Ferry is free. It departs regularly from the very southern tip, the tippiest southern tip, of Manhattan, 24/7/365. You get great views of the Statue of Liberty, and photo ops abound, or you could just include impressions and descriptions of what you see, hear, smell, touch, and um, what's the other one? ...oh yeah, taste along your journey in your journal, no matter what form the journal (or the journey) takes.

But there is so much to explore in New York, you probably don't have to place Staten Island too high on list of destinations, in fact a lot of people who have lived there their whole lives there have never even been there.

Similarly, my mother was born in Williamsburg (a Brooklyn neighborhood) and lived her entire life in homes in Brooklyn, Queens, and out on Long Island, all less than 30 miles from the Empire State Building. She went to Hunter College in Manhattan, and worked for a bank in Manhattan before the war (WWII), where she met my father. And the rest is history.

At least they are. Today is the twentieth anniversary of my mother's passing, and Dad followed her seven years on. This year, for a change, I will not mark the somber moment with a symbolic manhattan or rob roy cocktail (her favorite), but with a mocktail, most likely that one with grapefruit juice, (non-alcoholic) ginger beer, and chopped mint.

It surprises me not at all that your job entails a lot of writing, SS, after reading your SR postings over the past week.

How is the preparation for Tuesday's presentation going? If you are comfortable describing the subject of your presentation in general terms here on the open pages of SobeRlandia, I'd be interested. But it's your call, as it is for each of us, to decide what aspects of our lives we choose to disclose on the site.

It's after dark now, whatever exploring you did today, if any, is likely ended. Was it raining? I know that was in the forecast, but I am in New England now, not NY.

Hey, I think Saturday Night Live is back live tonight after its holiday hiatus. I might stay up , might not.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Glad you had a sweet morning, SendSleep, and that you are reenergizing and rehumanizing to the point of considering exploring out of doors. Have you been journaling long, or is that a recent addition to the SendSleep routine? Anything that potentially lessens the pall of the brain-fog is a-ok in my book (figuratively speaking), but we're talking about your book at the moment. Is your book figurative or actual, electronic or hide-bound, spiral-bound, or unbound? You don't have to answer that, or any of these questions for that matter, 'sup to you.

I would exercise extra caution, if I were you, which I'm not, in electronic dissemination of your journal, particularly if it is unbound.

For reasons stated earlier, I am glad you don't live in Staten Island, but if you decide to go out exploring New York City, that doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend not going there. Or going there, for that matter. If any reader lives on Staten Island, you may have some suggestions for what a day-tripper might want to see there. I know it is amenable to bicycle riding, because I did the Tour de Staten Island bicycle ride last May.

Little known fact to non-New Yorkers: the Staten Island Ferry is free. It departs regularly from the very southern tip, the tippiest southern tip, of Manhattan, 24/7/365. You get great views of the Statue of Liberty, and photo ops abound, or you could just include impressions and descriptions of what you see, hear, smell, touch, and um, what's the other one? ...oh yeah, taste along your journey in your journal, no matter what form the journal (or the journey) takes.

But there is so much to explore in New York, you probably don't have to place Staten Island too high on list of destinations, in fact a lot of people who have lived there their whole lives there have never even been there.

Similarly, my mother was born in Williamsburg (a Brooklyn neighborhood) and lived her entire life in homes in Brooklyn, Queens, and out on Long Island, all less than 30 miles from the Empire State Building. She went to Hunter College in Manhattan, and worked for a bank in Manhattan before the war (WWII), where she met my father. And the rest is history.

At least they are. Today is the twentieth anniversary of my mother's passing, and Dad followed her seven years on. This year, for a change, I will not mark the somber moment with a symbolic manhattan or rob roy cocktail (her favorite), but with a mocktail, most likely that one with grapefruit juice, (non-alcoholic) ginger beer, and chopped mint.

It surprises me not at all that your job entails a lot of writing, SS, after reading your SR postings over the past week.

How is the preparation for Tuesday's presentation going? If you are comfortable describing the subject of your presentation in general terms here on the open pages of SobeRlandia, I'd be interested. But it's your call, as it is for each of us, to decide what aspects of our lives we choose to disclose on the site.

It's after dark now, whatever exploring you did today, if any, is likely ended. Was it raining? I know that was in the forecast, but I am in New England now, not NY.

Hey, I think Saturday Night Live is back live tonight after its holiday hiatus. I might stay up , might not.

Good evening, jr. thanks i’m starting to feel like a person again. Strange to think that only week ago, I was embarking on my Adderall binge and long weekend.

Journaling is a recent addition to my routine. I journal is spiral bound and doesn’t contain too much since I recently started.

I did not go to Staten Island, but I do plan to visit for a day trip at some point. I did not know the Staten Island ferry was free, I learn something new every day. Will Def visit there for the photo oops and sight seeing. Photography is also a hobby of mine, which kind of fell off my radar during my Adderall use.

Your mother sounds like a great person, as does your father. My condolences on this anniversary. That mocktail sounds delicious, I’m sure they are very proud, as am I (we)

Thanks, i’ve always love to write, even as a child I was always writing creative stories. When I’m on Adderall I tend to ramble on in my writing doesn’t always make much sense it’s like word vomit Haha, as you have seen. It will be interesting to see how my writing at my job is different when sober.

The preparation is going, I feel like I’m having trouble getting organized, there’s just a lot of material to go through and summarize, I know the material because I was the one that did the yearly recap.

My presentation is about how to elevate my clients presence in the media and social media, and a summary of our activities to date. So basically we’re taking a look at the last year and seeing how we can build on it and prime the market for potential product launch. It’s interesting and I really do enjoy it, but I get nervous presenting, especially doing it sober for the first time.

It was raining for a good portion of the day, but I got some exploring in, I actually went to the Soho area which has a lot of cool shops and was fun. Hope the weather by you isn’t too bad.

Saturday night live is a great show! If you sleep you can always catch the rerun

Old 01-25-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Wow, wild haggis, in all the years I lived in Scotland I never realised about wild haggis, must be similar to those drop bears in Australia..
Old 01-25-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SendSleep View Post

Good evening, jr. thanks i’m starting to feel like a person again. Strange to think that only week ago, I was embarking on my Adderall binge and long weekend.

Journaling is a recent addition to my routine. I journal is spiral bound and doesn’t contain too much since I recently started.

I did not go to Staten Island, but I do plan to visit for a day trip at some point. I did not know the Staten Island ferry was free, I learn something new every day. Will Def visit there for the photo oops and sight seeing. Photography is also a hobby of mine, which kind of fell off my radar during my Adderall use.

Your mother sounds like a great person, as does your father. My condolences on this anniversary. That mocktail sounds delicious, I’m sure they are very proud, as am I (we)

Thanks, i’ve always love to write, even as a child I was always writing creative stories. When I’m on Adderall I tend to ramble on in my writing doesn’t always make much sense it’s like word vomit Haha, as you have seen. It will be interesting to see how my writing at my job is different when sober.

The preparation is going, I feel like I’m having trouble getting organized, there’s just a lot of material to go through and summarize, I know the material because I was the one that did the yearly recap.

My presentation is about how to elevate my clients presence in the media and social media, and a summary of our activities to date. So basically we’re taking a look at the last year and seeing how we can build on it and prime the market for potential product launch. It’s interesting and I really do enjoy it, but I get nervous presenting, especially doing it sober for the first time.

It was raining for a good portion of the day, but I got some exploring in, I actually went to the Soho area which has a lot of cool shops and was fun. Hope the weather by you isn’t too bad.

Saturday night live is a great show! If you sleep you can always catch the rerun

Thanks, SS, for the tributes.

Besides being free, one of the good things about taking a ride on the Staten Island ferry is that you don't have to get off and actually spend any time on Staten Island. I am joking there, but it's true, you don't, if you just want to take a round trip back and forth.

How about Coney Island? Have you ever been there? I think you said you live near Prospect Park in Brooklyn, so if so, you're not far from Coney Island (for those dear readers who are unfamiliar, Coney Island is in Brooklyn; Brooklyn is just across the East River from Manhattan. The famous Brooklyn Bridge connects the two, as do other, newer car routes, subway lines, and ferries).

One of the U.S.'s most famous poets, Walt Whitman, wrote a poem in the 19th century, when he lived,* called Crossing Brooklyn Ferry.

Oops, I was just getting revved up, but luckily (for someone or other), I was just called away to dinner.

More, later, about something or other.

You doing screen-time this evening, SS.? Others?

* If he had written it at any other time than when he lived, that would really be something to write home about.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:27 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

~
For all of you interested, this is a "sling"; or slang for spiderling.

It is a baby Acanthoscurria geniculata,

or Brazilian White Knee Tarantula.

My former one grew to 9" in leg span, before her passing.

Good Night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
X5ttt.OOO.JPG (69.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lunar View Post
~

Good Night.
Sorry (not sorry) to hear about the passing of your 9" leg-span tarantula. Nothing against Brazilians, or white knees of any national origin, but I'm sorry, I can't get past this arachnophobia thing.

I like "sling" as slang
for spiderling, I admit,
if truth must be told.

Let's see in cms, that must be ... yikes, 22.86 centimeters.

Do you know the sex of your sling? I just thought that if you know the sex that would help narrow down the choices for naming him/her. What is the average life span of a female?

If it's a girl, and if she's from Ipanema, and if she's likely to make it to 2035, I know just the song for her quinceanera:

Tall and tan and young and lovely
The sling from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes each sling she passes
Goes "a-a-ah"
Old 01-25-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Thanks, SS, for the tributes.

Besides being free, one of the good things about taking a ride on the Staten Island ferry is that you don't have to get off and actually spend any time on Staten Island. I am joking there, but it's true, you don't, if you just want to take a round trip back and forth.

How about Coney Island? Have you ever been there? I think you said you live near Prospect Park in Brooklyn, so if so, you're not far from Coney Island (for those dear readers who are unfamiliar, Coney Island is in Brooklyn; Brooklyn is just across the East River from Manhattan. The famous Brooklyn Bridge connects the two, as do other, newer car routes, subway lines, and ferries).

One of the U.S.'s most famous poets, Walt Whitman, wrote a poem in the 19th century, when he lived,* called Crossing Brooklyn Ferry.

Oops, I was just getting revved up, but luckily (for someone or other), I was just called away to dinner.

More, later, about something or other.

You doing screen-time this evening, SS.? Others?

* If he had written it at any other time than when he lived, that would really be something to write home about.
You’re welcome.

haha! I have not actually been to Cony Island, but heard of it and am interested for sure. Love to hear about other recommendations hope you emit dinner is yummy. Screen time and trying to get to bed somewhat early because my boss just emailed me and asked if I could proof an important document tomorrow morning ahh. I feel like I wont be able to do it without addy. Idk the last time I proofed something sober. But I'm breathing and trying to tell myself I'll be okay. Hope your night (and everyone’s) is going well
Old 01-25-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Spiders can be cool. We used to catch grasshoppers and gently toss them into the webs of the big garden spiders which would run over.

Driving by the beer store on the way home this week has been a test, but will pale in comparison to working out of town next week. I've not been to any AA meetings yet, but checked online and there will be at least one each night a short drive from the hotel. Figure that's my best shot. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Sober Saturday was great. I spent a bit too much money, but on needed items for my home and not wasted on drinking. I had a long talk with my husband and we seem to be better at communicating like adults. My focus is on me and healing my life, growing as a sober person. SR is really important at this point, thank you to everyone here.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I truly miss her.
She was so sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
profilepic150407_2.jpg (80.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Magsie

Mariposa, communicating has always been difficult for me too. It’s good that you’re starting to with your husband.

Lunar, I love your tarantula. Sorry she has passed. I hope your baby sling grows as big.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:31 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

~

Good Night.
Don't take it personal, but I'm not going to like your post.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:34 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I truly miss her.
She was so sweet.
I looked at that photo and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to buy a new MacBook Pro. Not sure where my old one went after I threw it across the room.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:45 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

wow.
sorry.
I'll never post my creatures again.
See ya-
Old 01-25-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Dee, please remove me from this site.
Thank you.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:21 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Don't leave Lunar, I love your pics, your continued sobriety is too valuable to risk over something like this. Photos are just photos.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lunar I hope you reconsider. You're a long time member here and SRs been good for you and you've been good for it.

Same goes for you HeadEast

I understand fears and phobias but I also understand what freaks me out is someone else's passion, and vice versa.

No ones right or wrong.
This is a big group and personalities and different POVs abound.

The ignore function is there to be used if there's anything you don't like about a particular poster or what they post.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
If, after further thought, anyone wants their account closed, PM me.

D
Old 01-26-2020, 12:22 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Wow, that’s one awesome looking spider Lunar, I’m sorry she passed away, but glad you have a new spiderling.

I went into the forest yesterday and today and took some amazing photos.
We did walk on a treetops pathway as well as along the forest floor.
It’s so beautiful.
And I didn’t drink despite my partner having a few beers in the pub for Australia Day!

Old 01-26-2020, 12:25 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

And this one from the treetops walk