Notices

We could write a book - WEEKENDERS 17 - 20 January 2020

Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Evening weekenders.

I'm joining in for another sober weekend. Good to see the updates from our regulars - thanks for the cacti Mesa. Welcome to the newcomers.

Thank you Mags for the thread. Yes, I could write a book about some of my 'adventures' over the years and it would probably be quite interesting. Frankly though, I'd rather not. I'm hoping that the story of my new sober life will tell itself.

Anyway, the family are away this weekend but I have housemates around so I'll not be on my own. I have a few jobs to do around the house and my rather challenging work project to chip away at.

I went for a swim today and one of the other guys in the pool was clearly a drinker. These days I can always tell. I hoped for him that his new years resolution list included giving up the booze as well as getting fit. The two things go rather well together.

Anyway, warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks gang!

Those cacti certainly puts the one in my kitchen window to shame. I'm glad the medical stuff went well. Love those Amsterdam doorways, it is a very well sorted and run city.

Enjoy your dinner with your friends jr67.

It is 9.13pm in London on a Friday night and I am already in bed. Wore out.

https://youtu.be/er6mxysZxlo

Old 01-17-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I’m exhausted and so glad to have this sober weekend.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hmmm, Grapefruit and Ginger beer (n/a), two of my favorites, never tried mixing them. 1 part Grapefruit, 2 parts Ginger ale/beer according to google.....
Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Hmmm, Grapefruit and Ginger beer (n/a), two of my favorites, never tried mixing them. 1 part Grapefruit, 2 parts Ginger ale/beer according to google.....
Yes it sounds delicious!
I need to put grapefruit on my shopping list
Old 01-17-2020, 10:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

We went out for dinner last night and my partner was drinking alcoholic ginger beer. He offered me to try it, and the AV sat up all excited, but I quickly slapped it back down, sneaky beast
Nonalcoholic Ginger and lemon again for me.

It’s Saturday afternoon here and stinking hot and humid. It rained a little last night and the humidity is stifling. I hope it rains again tonight...
Old 01-17-2020, 10:35 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Forwards, enjoy your weekend with your housemates and work project. Sounds like a nice balanced weekend,

Willow, good on you for kicking the AV into touch! ... I can’t ever imagine Mr. Mags offering me an alcoholic drink, not even a sip.

It’s cold here this morning, 2° C but the sun is going to shine later. Yaay.

Another sober weekend for me, I love not depending on the stuff.

Catch you later. xx
Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Mags I wish Mr Willow wouldn’t too... He doesn’t often, but I think he was feeling a bit guilty drinking it himself as he had said he wasn’t drinking any more. He hasn’t had a drink for 2 weeks! It’s the first drink he’s had since he said he was stopping. He actually ordered a soft drink initially but the bartender said, oh you really should try this new ginger beer we just got in, and he said oh ok go on then.... And I said no thanks I’ll stick to my soft drink.... He asked would I like to try it. I know that if I had, that would be it, I’d end up having several. At least. Nope. It’s not a good idea for me to “just have a taste “ of anything with alcohol in it.....
Old 01-18-2020, 01:37 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

You just have to train 'em Willow.

They mean well but say no enough and - they may not understand it still, but they'll get that the response will always be an unwavering no.

They'll get over their shyness over drinking when you're not too
Old 01-18-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi Mags, Sao and fellow Weekenders.

Count me in.
Great theme this week Mags. I love the idea of an open book for this time moving forward. Doing the very best we can in 2020. The year feels like a new chapter for me, and I am sure others too.
Have a wonderful day all.

dlb
Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Back at the motel and sitting up with my cousins, the boys having a drink and me I'm having a hot drink and I'm sober!! Wedding's are so different sober..
Old 01-18-2020, 03:38 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

The reviews are in:
Ginger beer and grapefruit juice
hit the spot last night.

Ok, so it's just one review, but it's a rave. All stars.

At dinner at friends' house last evening I brought along the ingredients instead of wine, and made a ritual of preparing the concoction, as tenderly as that Ghanian bartender I remember in Madrid just off the Plaza de Santa Ana would for a mojito, a few summers ago.

Not that it was complicated:

Chop up mint, add ice.
Pour a bit of grapefruit juice,
ginger beer to taste. Stir.

Lol when I (used to) make cocktails with ethanol, I rushed through the preparation because I couldn't wait for the first sip.

My father, by contrast, was not a substance abuser, but a lifetime social drinker. When he made his manhattans, as long as he lived (till age 90) he used a jigger to carefully measure out the rye into the shaker, then he added a precise amount of vermouth, before shaking and pouring into the V-shaped glass. One for him and one for my mother. (Then us when we came of age). Hers with the maraschino cherry, his without.

I always thought, once I was old enough to be one of the manhattanites, Dad, you've been making this same drink for all these decades; can't you just eyeball it and get to the drinking part?

Dad = social drinker; jr = problem drinker.

Today's your birthday, Dad. If you were still with us you'd be 103. I know we kids, wherever we happen to be spread out around the planet each January 18, usually make it a practice to toast you with manhattans, maybe post a photo to show the others the setting this year.

It's only 6:30 a.m. Time to get up and make the coffee. But at cocktail hour I'll take a little more time than I used to, mixing up a mocktail this time, and hold my glass up high.

Happy Birthday, Dad.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:41 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Back at the motel and sitting up with my cousins, the boys having a drink and me I'm having a hot drink and I'm sober!! Wedding's are so different sober..
Aren't they though?

I DD'd my wife to the last one we went to. It was her family so she wanted to have a few. She ALWAYS DD's for me so I returned the favor.

I had a good time but it was different.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:45 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

jr67, what a nice post.

Happy Birthday remembrance day.

Willow, I think I'd have to have, "The Talk," with the other half. "DO NOT OFFER ME ALCOHOL! I really mean it this time."

at Dee's cat.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I cheers to your Dad jr67 with my cup of tea.

A cold bright sunny day after weeks of rain so I made the most of it and went walking in the countryside.

I walked right to the top of the hill on the horizon in this pic

view from the top

passed a weir on the way back

and Alfie and ball came too

What a difference some sunshine makes.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks for the pics, Kaily.

I also learned a new word today, "weir."

Beautiful countryside. I've gone to the zoo for a couple days since the snow is almost melted and not many people go to the zoo on these kinds of days, so I have the gorillas (mostly) to myself. They acted like they still recognized me. Of course, no way to know but they each made eye contact with me - and that's something.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Samantha

I’m in this weekend too....work all weekend so no temptation to drink at all. Any free time I have will be spent sleeping!!!
Old 01-18-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Alfie (and Kaily) knows what it's all about.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I would think the gorillas do recognise you Bim, you visit them often so no reason why they wouldn't.

When I had my horse years ago he recognised the sound of my car, if anyone else drove in he would ignore them, when I drove in he would be calling and kicking his stable door cause he knew I would feed him.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Maybe the animals at the zoo do recognize people. Why not, pets and farm animals certainly recognize people. My friend's dog always seems to recognize me instantly and barks at me every time. I love dogs and have no idea why it does that.

Last summer on our trip to Yellowstone, we befriended a young lady who had worked at a zoo but didn't like the way the animals were treated. She had gotten hired on as a guide in Yellowstone to do private animal tours. Now that seemed like a good gig.