Notices

We could write a book - WEEKENDERS 17 - 20 January 2020

Old 01-18-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I think they do, but then I know them by name and they definitely know their names - I think there may be an element of, "That's my word for food."

"Kwame!" Then he gets mangoes.

Just not from me; though he lives in hope.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Magsie

Such interesting posts to read.

Kaily, lovely pics, The weir looks pretty cold, even with the sun out. Been nice here too, part of the day.

Hi anxiousrock

Willow, when hubby stopped smoking his pals still offered him one for quite a few months until they eventually stopped after all the ‘no thanks’. Hopefully your husband will get the message and stop asking you too.

I’m sure the gorillas will know Bim, animals live on their instincts, much more reliable than clocks

A friend recommended a series on tv I’ve not watched so I thought I might give it a go. ‘Bancroft’ I’d not thought much of it from the trailer. I can turn it off if it’s no good.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to the new people on the thread. It's really great to have you here and we can all help each other out through the weekend.
I've been busy the last few days, well since I went back to work really. I mentioned a while back that I handed in my notice. I had a meeting with HR last week and they dont want me to leave. So the negotiation is more complicated than I had hoped. My intention is to leave but I might have to stay until july to finish a project im working on. Well battle on. Sober. Thats my only "important" objective in life for the next year or two.

Time for my weetabix.
I've been living on weetabix lately

Later weekenders 👍✌️🐣
Old 01-18-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Cute dog kaily. The matching ball and jacket are great.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders anxiousrock

I'm glad your respective events went off OK Red and jr67. It is my theory (as of the last few minutes) that 50% of weddings owe their origins to alcohol one way or another. Naturally I have no evidence of that but I shall state it (somewhere) as though it were the absolute truth.

Neat pics Kaily. Alfie looks very assured there and bim knows what a weir is. I looked up the US equivalent - low head dam - is that right?

VMan, it is very much to your credit that your employers don't want you to leave, maybe you could use that to your advantage.

I have spent much of my Saturday at work inputting all my new Dutch business without co-workers trying to disrupt my dates for their own nefarious reasons. They will still try but once it's "on the system" it is that much harder.

I have never been to Pittsburgh but this track is so good it makes me wanna go there.

https://youtu.be/99Eu8wwGzuQ

Old 01-18-2020, 12:05 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Jōbū has grown exceptionally in the last 4 months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
XZD8654er.JPG (77.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders fishkiller!
Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Jobu looks a little bloated.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:26 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing memories of your dad Jr - I'm sure he'd be proud of you and of what you're doing

D
Old 01-18-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
...They mean well but say no enough and - they may not understand it still, but they'll get that the response will always be an unwavering no...
A switch kick under the table might help....

Good post JR67

Love the pics Kaily.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:42 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

oops *swift kick*

Good day today, after shoveling snow, I spent most of the day in the garage making scrap wood. Practiced making bridal joints on my band saw, haven't quite got it right, too loose or to tight. Then I spent some time calibrating my table saw (I bought it in the summer, but hadn't used it for much more than plywood.) and cutting square stock.

Tho I'm tempted to simply buy one, I'd like to make an indoor green house so I'm ready to start seedlings for the spring.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

It's our turn for the snow now, stdragon, here in New England. I'll be breaking out the snowblower in the a.m.

Binging on Stranger Things on the flixter at the moment. This is the last episode of the night. ... Or not, we shall see. It's a 3-day weekend here in the States, and it's not as if I've been sleeping the night through, anyway, so maybe just one more episode when this one's done.

I'm sleeping soundly these days, as I'm on the cusp of my Day 17 to 18, but only about 4-5 hours the last few nights.

I'm good; great in fact, but "getting used to not getting used ...."

101 points to s/he who gets that quote. (It's not a song, but from a novel.) Could be tricky, I'm not even sure it's an accurate quote; I'll have to check (but Stranger Things are happening before my eyes at the moment; so l8r).
Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all
Great photos btw Kaily 👍
I think I may go plodding for an hour.
It's nearly light outside
Old 01-18-2020, 10:31 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

jr your ‘getting used to not getting used..’ reminded me of some I used to say. ‘Don’t forget to remember to forget...’ I could go on for hours. .

Lunar, is Jõbū fully grown now?

It’s cold here this morning again, hopefully be a sunny day like yesterday.

I won’t be going far today though, have a good one.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

My new normal seems to be waking up between 3.30/ 4 am and no more sleep after that~makes for long days.

I have had my Instagram account stolen. Bearing in mind I only had 2 pictures of my dogs and no followers its not that bigger deal but they also got into my email account which is scary.

Jóbú is looking well. Does he have any company, do frogs even like company?

Vman sorry leaving isn't going to be easy but must be a nice boost to know how much they think of you.

Hope you get a restful day today Sao, sounds like you had a very busy and successful week.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Mags- Jōbū is still less than a year old.
Fully grown, he potentially will be the size of an average chicken.
(I recently found out he can live to be 35+ y.o.)

Kaily- Nice photos, as always!
Unfortunately, these are solitary creatures.
Given the chance, they will consume anything they can fit into their mouth.
This includes other Pixie frogs, any other tankmates and the occasional finger.
"Pixie Frog" is a misnomer for these brutes.
It is short for their scientific name-
Pyxicephalus adspersus, or African bullfrog.
There is nothing Pixie-like about them!
What type of fish are harvested with the weir?
I like Bob Weir.

Wishing everyone a fabulous weekend!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

No had a chance to catch up on the thread but hope everyone is doing good. As for writing a book, seeing as used to drink to blackout most of the time there would be a lot of blank pages!! Met up with a friend in the city for lunch yesterday and also go my hair cut and coloured finally. Had at least 10 inches cut off the length and feels so much better.

I’ve been slipping a little bit recently and drinking, not lots or everyday (maybe once a week) but any wine is more than I should be having so the quantity is not important or relevant. I don’t enjoy it, feel terrible afterwards and spend the whole time forcing myself to not overdo it. My main addiction was always weed and I only started drinking as I could no longer get hold of it. Every single day at work on the way in, the way home, on smoke breaks and between meetings I have to walk through clouds of reefer smoke from the students and it’s started off major all consuming cravings. I can’t avoid it as there is no where on the campus it’s not happening. I know what I need to do but are just not doing it and I almost resent having all these addict feelings and thoughts again.

Didn’t really want to write the above, but if I keep pretending this is not really happening it’s going to just get worse till I am back where I was 2 years ago. I don’t want that for myself xx
Old 01-19-2020, 02:10 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi all
Enjoyed the thread. Doing well this weekend. Keeping focused and occupied.

MantaLady, it is great you posted how you feel. We are all human. Everyone understands how easy it is to slip, especially in environments like that.
The smart thing you have done is bring it up here. I didn't last year and eventually fell back to old ways.

There are more people more qualified than me to give advice. I am sure they will chime in. Best of luck. You can totally do this.

Last edited by dontlookbacchus; 01-19-2020 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-19-2020, 02:15 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hang in there MantaLady.

A "little bit" quickly evolves into too much to handle.

You can prevail.

After decades of failure,

I believe the answer is to promise no one but yourself.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

We are a human , therefore fallible. But with hope in our hearts, we keep moving forwards....which is why it is 'we', not I'.