Notices

We could write a book - WEEKENDERS 17 - 20 January 2020

Old 01-16-2020, 08:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Hope you have a great weekend. My kid and his cousins would kill to see a couple of pictures of Rivendale. A friend who was in NZ sent me some pictures of Hobbiton a few years ago and they all loved them.
I will see what pics I can come up with.. It won't look like what's in the movie but its the location with some things around..a really beautiful place..
Old 01-16-2020, 08:59 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
I will see what pics I can come up with.. It won't look like what's in the movie but its the location with some things around..a really beautiful place..

Actualy was hoping for some pictures and autographs with lord elrond and lady galadriel. LOL

There was an outdoor cooking show from NZ last year that only lasted one season. It looked like you have a lot of beautiful countryside.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Actualy was hoping for some pictures and autographs with lord elrond and lady galadriel. LOL

There was an outdoor cooking show from NZ last year that only lasted one season. It looked like you have a lot of beautiful countryside.
That we do. I remember when I moved back to NZ after 15 years away, I couldn't believe how stunning the countryside was and how lucky I was that this is my home.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Mr

My aunt left ireland in the 50's for NZ got married, Kids etc and lived all her life there only coming back to ireland once 25 years later. Or so my dad used to tell me. We used to have b&w photos at home when I was a sprog.

I would really love to visit my nz family 😁
Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Cityboy! Stick around.

Good luck maripoda, corrosive relationships are bad for both parties.

Another half day in Amsterdam.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I went to NZ a couple of years ago, it really was beautiful!

If you’re collecting autographs for Cityboy, I would like Aragorn’s autograph please Red ❤️

Sending you a huge hug Mariposa

Had a busy day and now it’s Friday evening.
I got asked out for drinks at the neighbours place so I popped in for one and then left (I took my own ginger lemon soft drink) . Phew, I did the sociable thing but escaped early and unscathed. Now for some dinner and an early night
Old 01-17-2020, 12:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

OK so I need to get autographs for...

Cityboy - lord elrond and lady galadriel
Willow - aragorn, although he isn't elven I'm sure he will be there since it's Arwens home.
For me, Red - Legolas

Any other autographs while I'm at it?? Lol

​​​
Old 01-17-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Red, NZ sounds wonderful. re autographs, just pics will do me

Sun’s coming out, looks like it’s going to be a good weekend.

See you later folks x
Old 01-17-2020, 01:40 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

I'm in!
Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

So tonight I've had some pretty strong thoughts about drinking.. I had to transfer 11gb of photos and videos off my phone so I could make space for Rivendell photos tomorrow lol anyway there were a lot of photos and screen shots taken from messanger and videos of my SR friend Nichole that passed away before Xmas and this bought on many years tonight. I thought to myself, if I was drinking would I be crying? Or would I be shoving the pain back in?
One thing I know 100% is that what I was feeling tonight was real emotion, it wasn't over dramatised, it wasnt pushed away but 100% raw emotion and I won't wake up and feel silly for making such a fuss...
For this I'm grateful for being sober..
Old 01-17-2020, 01:47 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad and grateful you're sober too Red

D
Old 01-17-2020, 03:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Cityboy, welcome to the thread.

It's Friday morning here. O'dark o'clock though, not even 4AM yet.

No drinking today because WHY would I put myself in that kind of misery? Plus that would blow my sober Weekend streak of 306 weeks.

Sao, did you make the sale?
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Happy Friday, is 20 past 6 and I'm already running late.....
Old 01-17-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Cityboy, lots of lovely people in this thread

Mags how are you feeling today ? Like a pin cushion i imagine,afyer all those injections. Thanks for making this such an enjoyable thread. You have brought so many people together here. You are a people magnet xxx

Red, so proud of you sweetheart. Drinking will only exacerbate everthing. Staying sober for Nicole is a tribute to her memory, she would be so proud of you.
We are xxx

Thanks Sao xx

Early night for me tonight , had a lovely drive in the country with Mum & Dad today. Bakery for lunch and my daughter and her partner visiting

Have a great weekend you lovely people xx
Old 01-17-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I did thanks bim, it has been a good trip. I am on the train home, just passing through northern France on the Eurostar. A woman sitting near me has not stopped talking to another woman since Amsterdam Gandalf or one of those elves would have sorted her out.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:46 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about the chatter, but hey! Congrats on the sale. Maybe you get to go back to Amsterdam again, with headphones next time. I bet the sale and the trip were much easier sober.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Welp ~

If it's January, it must be Palm Springs CA. So, away we go to there for ~1 Month this Monday with Trailer in tow. In an area nearby, there's lots of Natural Hot Springs Resorts. So, we check into an RV version of those. Trying a new Joint this time because of their stellar-looking Workout Room that MesaMate's Dual Replaced Knees require. We'll likely revert back to a known good Joint later in this Trip. ~75 F [23 C] Degrees there all next Week. Chez Bitchen!

Yesterday was All Medical - All The Time. Annual Eye Exam. Got some Stitches out from a minor Forehead thingy removal. Annual Glucose Blood Sugar Test yesterday dropped like a Rock from a Year ago. Likely thanks to dropping ~34 lbs. in the last 4 Months, and walking Speed Laps at the Dog Park. Shingles - and the stunning pain it causes - are almost cured. So, Life Is Good. Glad I stuck around to enjoy this phase of it Sober. The whole 'Wine is cultured' malarkey is practiced by some RV Park Geezers, but they're easily avoided. The Recycling Bins tell me all I need to know about 'Murica's Habits.

New, beefy 10 Ply Tires got put on the Truck for improved towing. Weather here clears later today to make provisioning the Trailer less sucky.

I take MesaDog out daily to hike some pretty pristine S. California Desert ~1 Mile away. He stays clear of the Cactus seen below. JUST on the other side of that Ridge is THEE San Andreas Fault, but we've experienced no Earthquakes while there in my Home County.

To hike off Jet Lag one Trip to Amsterdam, I spent the Day taking Pix of the astounding Front Doors there. They're a source of price on the narrow Buildings. Me, I had no doubt that Super Salesman Sober Sao would get that Contract. Well done, Sir!

~ Amsterdam Front Door Pictures ~

Good ole NIck Lowe sings about writing a Book on Love; a topic at least as dicey as sobering up, eh? Thanks for the thoughtful Theme, Mags...

~ 'When I Write The Book' ~ Rockpile ~

Old 01-17-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Prayers Mari.

Sucks about the neighbor, Snooz.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Happy sober weekend, folks. It'll be my third.

Going to friends' for dinner tonight (Friday). We (used to) usually bring a couple of bottles of wine, and our hosts would have a few bottles at the ready, so the four of us (the dogs don't drink) didn't have to "worry" about running out.

The above is true, but I suppose a slight exaggeration. Just cuz there would probably be a half-dozen bottles in the house (at least), it didn't mean we had to drink all of them, and we wouldn't.

Also, the only one that I can say with certainty would be worried about running out is yours truly. While the term is open to a fluid (so to speak) interpretation, our hosts are not "lushes." (Can't say that for myself recently; I mean pre-January 2, my Day 1).

Anyway, I am not worried about tonight. The wine will be flowing (the hosts don't even know yet that I made this Dry January pledge), but I will not be tempted. These are old friends (I've known one of them since college days, way way (way) back) with whom I am v. comfortable, drunk or sober.

They're also the type who have substance abuse in their close families (who doesn't?), and won't try to cajole or encourage me to have "just one."

And I had some practice last weekend, when I was out twice at a bar or restaurant with different (ethanol-imbibing) people a couple of times, and was fine with the tap water. Saved a few bucks, too.

Tonight, I'm bringing mixins for the grapefruit juice and (diet) ginger ale mocktail described yesterday (I think it was) in this thread. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh wait, I just scrolled up and see that recipe is not in this thread. Someone know where which thread it is?

Thank you in advance, and in retrospect, and for the now.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening Weekenders

It’s cold and wet here!

Saou, pleased you made the sale.

MesaMan they are some magnificent cacti.

Jr, have a good evening, sounds like you’re well prepared.

Snoozy thanks for the nice words but I’m just a newbie on Weekenders compared to most of the Weekenders, I’ve learnt so much from everyone here. x