Notices

We could write a book - WEEKENDERS 17 - 20 January 2020

Old 01-20-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Indeed, I've done right on 500,000 km in 11 years in my job. Thankfully I can work from home 3 days a week now and visit clients for the other 2 then. Trust me, the novelty of staying in hotels wore off very quickly....
Put 266,000 miles, 428,000 km?, on my car in 10 years. Lethal eh (bad attempt at Irish slang).

Doing the hotel thing with no beer, wine, nothing, is going to be a learning curve for me. No more being wired to the moon (another bad attempt).
Old 01-20-2020, 06:40 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
... And the best thing, nothing in the Bush will get you lol
Really? I did not know that!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Really? I did not know that!
There is nothing dangerous in NZ native bush, not really even spiders..
Old 01-20-2020, 08:17 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Another sober weekend, feeling I could use another day to sleep but I’ll take sleepy over hungover any day. Only regrets this weekend is too much dark chocolate. Happy MLK day SR 🌻
Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Can’t say the same about Australia lol

Awesome photos Red! What a great way to spend your birthday
Old 01-20-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Can’t say the same about Australia lol

Awesome photos Red! What a great way to spend your birthday
LOL I never did this when I lived in Australia, no way!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:50 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

just the tricksy hobbitses to watch out for.

since "Blue Monday" - the allegedly most depressing day of the year - has passed, here's a tune for today:

Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

In down under land it is easy to identify stuff which is dangerous in the 'bush'. Everything that is not a cow or a sheep. The cows can be problematic as well.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:41 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Red, great photo’s. I like that you’re safe from predators.

Saou, hope you’re feeling better.

Another cold, sunny day on the horizon.

See you later.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
In down under land it is easy to identify stuff which is dangerous in the 'bush'. Everything that is not a cow or a sheep. The cows can be problematic as well.
Lol so true PJ
I once camped out in the middle of nowhere crossing the Nullabor plain and woke up surrounded by a heap of cows, I don’t know who was more surprised, me or them! better than snakes and spiders in the sleeping bag though. Whenever I’m camping out I always make sure the swag or tent has very good zippers which are very well closed lol
Old 01-21-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Andy what a blast from the past that was! I used to go rollerskating to Blue Monday when I was about 14, in those enchanted days before I really discovered alcohol...
My current mission is to rediscover the enchantment of life pre-alcohol, so that song is a good reminder. And I actually still have my rollerskates, I wonder if I’d be safe to get back on them 35 years later.... hmmm I’m very tempted
Old 01-21-2020, 03:28 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Put 266,000 miles, 428,000 km?, on my car in 10 years. Lethal eh (bad attempt at Irish slang).

Doing the hotel thing with no beer, wine, nothing, is going to be a learning curve for me. No more being wired to the moon (another bad attempt).

You put all that mileage on one car?! Jeez, mines been done over 3 cars now.....can be hard going at times!
Old 01-21-2020, 04:06 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I still have my roller skates too. Tho I doubt they will fit me. Plus I might not take a fall so well anymore....
Old 01-21-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

34 F in Florida this morning.

Friday night in the 8th grade, going to the rink where many of your friends would be skating to disco music.

Well I would hope that red picked up one of those elven blades in the gift shop at rivendell, that turn florescent blue when orcs or goblins are nearby.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

A friend in elementary school was camping with his dad, who had served in Korea and never seemed to let go of the intensity, and said that his dad whispered to him in the middle of the night that there was a bear outside the tent. He said that his dad unzipped the tent door with his pistol and flashlight to look outside. It was a dog that had wandered into their camp and it licked him in the face. He jumped back so hard that he tore the tent down and they slept in the car the rest of the night. Funny story but good thing no one got hurt, or the dog.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Feeling better today thank goodness.

It's brilliant. No more trying to be bright and enthusiastic at 9am meetings with potential customers will nursing a nauseous hangover. I had to travel to the far edge of the new Europoort terminal west of Rotterdam last week which I know I would have had to cry off if I had still been drinking. Sobriety means you can give it your best shot, I wish I had done it decades ago.

Great photos Red, it looks beautiful. As a London boy I have never really been camping. I would probably get picked off by a Hawk or something.

Roller Disco's were popular when I was a teen, I always associate the one I used to go to with Searching by Change (Luther Vandross). Booze was not sold or allowed back then which with hindsight probably gave it a much better vibe.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I still have my roller skates too. Tho I doubt they will fit me. Plus I might not take a fall so well anymore....
Did your feet get fat?
Old 01-21-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

34 F in Florida this morning.

Friday night in the 8th grade, going to the rink where many of your friends would be skating to disco music.

Well I would hope that red picked up one of those elven blades in the gift shop at rivendell, that turn florescent blue when orcs or goblins are nearby.
Gift shop? This is NZ not America lol jest..
There is no shop, no cafe, no payments for visiting, just a beautiful place to go and you can camp the night but that will cost..
So I'm still defenseless against those orcs..
Old 01-21-2020, 12:15 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Some Rivendell photos and yes I need a phone case.. Its hard to tell where it is as the set is CGI so you kinda have to use imagination but that is the seat that they sat on in the movie, I just realised that these movies are 20 years old!!
The director Peter Jackson doesn't live too far from there and also James Cameron the director as well, hoping Avatar comes out soon, another filmed in NZ movie..
Old 01-21-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Oooh, used to love my rollerskates Willow. Broke my arm on them when I was 7 but that didn't put me off. We just used to roller skate around the paths and quiet roads in those days.