Notices

Day 1

Old 01-14-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you Sober45!!! You are doing amazing.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
The "many thought of drinking occasionally" seems to be my demon.
Do you think?

Or do you think maybe the feelings set a'churning by the fight with your daughter and the terrible day you breezily reported might actually be the demons? I dunno. Excuse my presumption if I'm out of line. Just suggesting this might be the case because it most certainly was with me. I spent years trying to control or quiet that Addictive Voice (AV) so many around here speak of, when really that voice was just another symptom of my underlying unresolved "stuff."

In my world, what you reported as your "many occasional thought" and concern about upcoming travel actually was, in hindsight, a relapse in the making. Again, just something to think about. Ignore me please if it doesn't fit for you.

You're doing great - so pleased that you got out of bed this morning to face Day 13.

O
Old 01-14-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Congratulations you guys!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Do you think?

Or do you think maybe the feelings set a'churning by the fight with your daughter and the terrible day you breezily reported might actually be the demons? I dunno. Excuse my presumption if I'm out of line. Just suggesting this might be the case because it most certainly was with me. I spent years trying to control or quiet that Addictive Voice (AV) so many around here speak of, when really that voice was just another symptom of my underlying unresolved "stuff."

In my world, what you reported as your "many occasional thought" and concern about upcoming travel actually was, in hindsight, a relapse in the making. Again, just something to think about. Ignore me please if it doesn't fit for you.

You're doing great - so pleased that you got out of bed this morning to face Day 13.

O
I'm not sure if I'm getting what your saying but I certainly do drink to cope with parenting (ugh so embarrassing). I remember the turning point (the actual moment) when I starting using alcohol to cope. She was only a few weeks old and was colic. My mom (who's a functioning alcoholic) seeing how stressed I was, encouraged me to have a drink of rum to relax...and that's just what I did. As time went on it just got worse and worse until I was drinking every day.

No matter how I was feeling, booze got me through the day...oh the euphoria...it was my "dream time". How many times have I said "make no wonder I drink". Always looking for excuses.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

And since i'm pouring my guts out here I'll add that I have a lot of resentment toward my mother. When I make wine, she drops over to my house all the time. When I stop making wine I NEVER see or hear from her; until she calls to see when I'm making wine again. Any time I told her I think I have a drinking problem her response is I think too much. When I relapse I'm thinking of her because she is still functioning well at 65 years old and seems to be the healthiest of her many siblings...none of whom drink or smoke (she's a heavy smoker too). It's so sad that I almost feel like I need to cut her out of my life to a degree. But I do love her.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Go girl, that's the stuff. If it makes you feel better, I also drank to cope with parenting, or so i thought.

I don't mean to be cryptic, but I'm on my phone right now. I'll be back later.

O
Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm not sure if I'm getting what your saying...
What I'm saying is that it's not uncommon for people to get distracted by or caught up in the cravings or the compulsion - I certainly did. But for me, the real issues were really happening right under my nose before the cravings actually kicked in. Lots of times, people can put this together and often times, I could too - a fight with my daughter, for instance. But like you, I felt like even though I had "good reason," it was also really just always an excuse. So people would ask me what triggered me to drink and sometimes I'd play along and come up with any number of plausible (and true) possible suspects, and other times I'd say in exasperation, "I don't know - because I'm an alcoholic?"

So in my case, yes - I had a horrific relationship with one of my daughters. People often actually said when I was regaling them with tales of her misadventures, "That would drive me to drink." (And I'd think, "Little do you know.") But really, in retrospect, there was much more going on there and an awful lot of it had to do with me. It was about my reactions to her, my feelings related to my own childhood and upbringing, my being overwhelmed by being a single parent far away from my family. I could kind of sort of see some of that, but certainly not all of it. It was too much. Because I had that going on and work troubles and relationship troubles and buried junk from the olden days...

So what I'm saying is pay attention to your feelings. Whether your feelings are brought on by big stuff or little stuff, honor them. Give them a good airing. Riding along on the surface feeling good just being sober is sufficient for a time, but at least in my case, more effort is required to stay sober. Even if that's not the case for you, it's still a good idea to pour your guts out in a safe and supportive environment - it's cleansing.

O
Old 01-15-2020, 02:43 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good Day 14 to you and me, S45.

Turns out I didn't do anything new and noteworthy yesterday. Lol that sounds more forlorn than it is meant to sound. I just mean no "breakthroughs" like roller blading or risotto-making. The day went fine, with epiphanies big and small.

Oh wait, something new, and a breakthrough of sorts. I received my first PM. I have no idea how much people PM each other on here. Hmm, that gives me an idea for a new and noteworthy item for today: jr67's first original thread. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, back here at the S45 ranch: You're gettin' squeezed sometimes from both generational directions, aren't you, S45? (Wino mother, difficult daughter).

In your last post you said something like you almost think you need to create some space between your (selfish-sounding) mother and yourself. jr67's 2 cents: There's no "almost" about it. It's great that you have her (not everyone still does; savor it), and very great that you love her (ditto). If she's 65 and healthy, looks like both of those things will continue to be true for quite a while (but still, savor it). Sounds to me, based on limited information, like you gotta stop letting her run the show.

Well, since you won't be making wine any more, maybe it'll maybe be less of an issue in some sense. But not really. Her "solution" to your concerns about your drinking is to tell you you think too much? You oughta be thinking *more,* imho, on the subject of "How can I separate myself from dear mum's overweaning influence?" And not just thinking, but doing.

My 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. If it's worth zero or less, please advise, either here or in a PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

What I'm saying is that it's not uncommon for people to get distracted by or caught up in the cravings or the compulsion - I certainly did. But for me, the real issues were really happening right under my nose before the cravings actually kicked in. Lots of times, people can put this together and often times, I could too - a fight with my daughter, for instance. But like you, I felt like even though I had "good reason," it was also really just always an excuse. So people would ask me what triggered me to drink and sometimes I'd play along and come up with any number of plausible (and true) possible suspects, and other times I'd say in exasperation, "I don't know - because I'm an alcoholic?"

So in my case, yes - I had a horrific relationship with one of my daughters. People often actually said when I was regaling them with tales of her misadventures, "That would drive me to drink." (And I'd think, "Little do you know.") But really, in retrospect, there was much more going on there and an awful lot of it had to do with me. It was about my reactions to her, my feelings related to my own childhood and upbringing, my being overwhelmed by being a single parent far away from my family. I could kind of sort of see some of that, but certainly not all of it. It was too much. Because I had that going on and work troubles and relationship troubles and buried junk from the olden days...

So what I'm saying is pay attention to your feelings. Whether your feelings are brought on by big stuff or little stuff, honor them. Give them a good airing. Riding along on the surface feeling good just being sober is sufficient for a time, but at least in my case, more effort is required to stay sober. Even if that's not the case for you, it's still a good idea to pour your guts out in a safe and supportive environment - it's cleansing.

O
Thank you so much for this. My daughter often says it's my "vibe" and "the way I react" that makes her anxious. Taking responsibility for my role in her problems is hard but I' doing it.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Good Day 14 to you and me, S45.

Turns out I didn't do anything new and noteworthy yesterday. Lol that sounds more forlorn than it is meant to sound. I just mean no "breakthroughs" like roller blading or risotto-making. The day went fine, with epiphanies big and small.

Oh wait, something new, and a breakthrough of sorts. I received my first PM. I have no idea how much people PM each other on here. Hmm, that gives me an idea for a new and noteworthy item for today: jr67's first original thread. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, back here at the S45 ranch: You're gettin' squeezed sometimes from both generational directions, aren't you, S45? (Wino mother, difficult daughter).

In your last post you said something like you almost think you need to create some space between your (selfish-sounding) mother and yourself. jr67's 2 cents: There's no "almost" about it. It's great that you have her (not everyone still does; savor it), and very great that you love her (ditto). If she's 65 and healthy, looks like both of those things will continue to be true for quite a while (but still, savor it). Sounds to me, based on limited information, like you gotta stop letting her run the show.

Well, since you won't be making wine any more, maybe it'll maybe be less of an issue in some sense. But not really. Her "solution" to your concerns about your drinking is to tell you you think too much? You oughta be thinking *more,* imho, on the subject of "How can I separate myself from dear mum's overweaning influence?" And not just thinking, but doing.

My 2 cents, for whatever it's worth. If it's worth zero or less, please advise, either here or in a PM.
Jr67 it's day 14 for us....WOW! YAY US!

I agree with everything you said. Distancing myself from her is pretty easy right now since she's more interested in numbing herself than being with me. I haven't seen her since I quit and going to keep it that way for a while. I'm going to show her what sobriety looks like when the time is right.

I'm breaking the cycle so my daughter doesn't end up feeling the same way about me as I feel about my mother. It's already happening so there's no turning back for me now.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

It is hard to face up to stuff, S45. Hard to break those patterns, too. Much more difficult than I would've imagined. Turns out knowledge isn't actually power - it's helpful, but I needed more than self-knowledge to actually start turning things around.

Do you have support aside from SR?
Sorry if I'm asking something I should already know.
I'll plead long long days as reason for forgetfulness if forgetful I've been.

O
Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Happy 2 weeks to the both of ya's, almost half a month!

Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning S.

And a top o' the Day 15 mornin' to ya. And to me. "Wow! Yay, us!"

So I did the n&n* thing yesterday, as predicted (posted my first thread). And I am continuing to have little epiphanies.

* New and noteworthy.

I am spending mucho hours here on SR, learning so much. Getting (at least some) hamster-wheel work done, too (you know, the kind that fills the larder).

Eventually I'm gonna hafta shift the ratio between SR time and hamster-wheeling, or that larder is going to start looking mighty bare.

But for now (one of the things I've learned): I need to focus on this, the sobriety journey.

Jr67 ....WOW! YAY US!

I'm breaking the cycle so my daughter doesn't end up feeling the same way about me as I feel about my mother. It's already happening so there's no turning back for me now.
Mags1 says in the new Weekender forum, hot off the presses (and I quote):

"I realise we can't choose everything in life but choosing sobriety gives us an opportunity to re-write our days ahead to enjoy our lives the best we can."

To which I replied (and I quote):

"Get me re-write!"

Choosing sobriety = Breaking the cycle = Re-writing our days ahead.

There's no turning back for us now.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

It is hard to face up to stuff, S45. Hard to break those patterns, too. Much more difficult than I would've imagined. Turns out knowledge isn't actually power - it's helpful, but I needed more than self-knowledge to actually start turning things around.

Do you have support aside from SR?
Sorry if I'm asking something I should already know.
I'll plead long long days as reason for forgetfulness if forgetful I've been.

O
Yes. I have an amazing husband who is supporting me. I'm also on a wait list to see a therapist.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good morning S.

And a top o' the Day 15 mornin' to ya. And to me. "Wow! Yay, us!"

So I did the n&n* thing yesterday, as predicted (posted my first thread). And I am continuing to have little epiphanies.

* New and noteworthy.

I am spending mucho hours here on SR, learning so much. Getting (at least some) hamster-wheel work done, too (you know, the kind that fills the larder).

Eventually I'm gonna hafta shift the ratio between SR time and hamster-wheeling, or that larder is going to start looking mighty bare.

But for now (one of the things I've learned): I need to focus on this, the sobriety journey.

Mags1 says in the new Weekender forum, hot off the presses (and I quote):

"I realise we can't choose everything in life but choosing sobriety gives us an opportunity to re-write our days ahead to enjoy our lives the best we can."

To which I replied (and I quote):

"Get me re-write!"

Choosing sobriety = Breaking the cycle = Re-writing our days ahead.

There's no turning back for us now.

Day 15 of the rest of our lives jr67

Thinking back to when I quit smoking almost 2 years ago after a 30 year habit. It started out as a bet between myself and co-worker. I thank God every day because it was really affecting my health. Leaving the booze behind is just another step in that journey.

"I can be what I will to be"-as the late Charles Haanel once said.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Yes. I have an amazing husband who is supporting me. I'm also on a wait list to see a therapist.
Good to hear about the therapist, S. How long a wait, do you know?

Have you engaged with any therapists before? I have a few times over the decades, and have found the process and experience helpful. As with most things, it is not one size fits all, so I hope you find one with whom you can connect.

Lol good to hear about your husband, too (didn't mean to give him short shrift).

Daughter, mother, husband, S45, aka the Sober45 Quartet. May you make beautiful music together.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good to hear about the therapist, S. How long a wait, do you know?

Have you engaged with any therapists before? I have a few times over the decades, and have found the process and experience helpful. As with most things, it is not one size fits all, so I hope you find one with whom you can connect.

Lol good to hear about your husband, too (didn't mean to give him short shrift).

Daughter, mother, husband, S45, aka the Sober45 Quartet. May you make beautiful music together.
Hey jr67, No, I haven't seen a therapist before. I have, however, counselled 100's of people in my 20+ years working with at-risk adults and youth. I have a B.Sc/Psychology major. So going to counselling is going to be humbling for me.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey jr67, No, I haven't seen a therapist before. I have, however, counselled 100's of people in my 20+ years working with at-risk adults and youth. I have a B.Sc/Psychology major. So going to counselling is going to be humbling for me.
Au contraire, imho. Acknowledging one needs help, then reaching out for it, is a reason to be proud.

Well, I am referring to the good (humble) kind of pride. So I guess this is not so contraire, after all.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good Friday, S45 and the gang.

I just poured my first cuppa coffee and came back under the covers for just a wee bit longer. (Say, do we have any Scots on board this carriage of the sober train? I don't recall seeing anyone so self-identify since I climbed on board.)

During my foray from bedroom to coffee dispensary (aka kitchen) and return, I caught glimpses of a beautiful sunrise. Clear sailing ahead for today. It may snow tomorrow but, as they say, one day at a time.

I'm talking literally as well as figuratively. Four to 7 inches in the forecast for tomorrow evening into Sunday. Not a big deal for us hearty New Englanders, nor for a Canadian such as you, S.

Eh?

Are you in the snow zone for tomorrow, S?

And do you say "eh"?

I think of it as a Toronto thing. Never been there but I've met a few Torontonians, and they said it.

Slept like a log for 4-1/2 hours. Yay. And had a couple of shorter naps up till coffee time. Next up:

I'll be working on the railroad, all the livelong day.

(So to speak. Do you know that song? Next lines follow):

I've been working on the railroad, just to pass the time away.
Can't you hear the whistle blowing, early in the morn?
Can't you hear the captain shouting? Dinah blow your horn!

It goes on.... We used to sing it in chorus in grade school. I'm sure I haven't thought about it in 40 years (and that was well after grade school).

It's a traditional old song, ideally accompanied by a banjo, but a capella is fine. I assume it's from the U.S., but you have banjos up your way, too, don't you, S? So maybe you know it.

I just found it on YouTube, a Raffi singalong kids' concert version:

Watch "Raffi I've Been Working On The Railroad YouTube" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Sq70I9e5TyU

These past 16 days (can you believe it S45? Day 16! You (and the rest of our SR fellow travelers) have helped make them fly by) ...

My point with the riff about the railroad song is: These past 16 days lots of old memories have been bubbling up, unbidden, as my brain is adjusting to its new ethanol-free normal. Generally pleasant memories, but not exclusively. That's ok, I'll take all comers. It's all part of the process here on the sober journey, I am coming to learn.

And it's a fun song regardless.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good Friday, S45 and the gang.

I just poured my first cuppa coffee and came back under the covers for just a wee bit longer. (Say, do we have any Scots on board this carriage of the sober train? I don't recall seeing anyone so self-identify since I climbed on board.)

During my foray from bedroom to coffee dispensary (aka kitchen) and return, I caught glimpses of a beautiful sunrise. Clear sailing ahead for today. It may snow tomorrow but, as they say, one day at a time.

I'm talking literally as well as figuratively. Four to 7 inches in the forecast for tomorrow evening into Sunday. Not a big deal for us hearty New Englanders, nor for a Canadian such as you, S.

Eh?

Are you in the snow zone for tomorrow, S?

And do you say "eh"?

I think of it as a Toronto thing. Never been there but I've met a few Torontonians, and they said it.

Slept like a log for 4-1/2 hours. Yay. And had a couple of shorter naps up till coffee time. Next up:

I'll be working on the railroad, all the livelong day.

(So to speak. Do you know that song? Next lines follow):

I've been working on the railroad, just to pass the time away.
Can't you hear the whistle blowing, early in the morn?
Can't you hear the captain shouting? Dinah blow your horn!

It goes on.... We used to sing it in chorus in grade school. I'm sure I haven't thought about it in 40 years (and that was well after grade school).

It's a traditional old song, ideally accompanied by a banjo, but a capella is fine. I assume it's from the U.S., but you have banjos up your way, too, don't you, S? So maybe you know it.

I just found it on YouTube, a Raffi singalong kids' concert version:

Watch "Raffi I've Been Working On The Railroad YouTube" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Sq70I9e5TyU

These past 16 days (can you believe it S45? Day 16! You (and the rest of our SR fellow travelers) have helped make them fly by) ...

My point with the riff about the railroad song is: These past 16 days lots of old memories have been bubbling up, unbidden, as my brain is adjusting to its new ethanol-free normal. Generally pleasant memories, but not exclusively. That's ok, I'll take all comers. It's all part of the process here on the sober journey, I am coming to learn.

And it's a fun song regardless.
Day 16 here we go!

Yes jr67 I am familiar with that song. It’s on replay now in the back of my head. Lol

But I’m angry. The forecast was calling for a blizzard today. I even did the snow dance last night. Got up this morning and NOTHING…not a flake to be seen falling from the sky. So work it is. I am here now. And the blizzard just started...winds at 100km/hr on the menu for this afternoon. Glad I asked for new winter boots for Christmas this year!

Jr67, I am also having old memories pop up. For me they’re more like images of the past. I’ve been flaking on my bed with my cat after work these last couple days and that’s usually when it happens. They’re so vivid. I didn’t realize this was a part of recovery!