Day 1

Old 01-17-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Aaah yes day one huh? Its all good . stick around here. Be aight. ✌
Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Aaah yes day one huh? Its all good . stick around here. Be aight. ✌

Hey SoberRican….on day 16 now! Time for me to get off this thread and branch out!
Old 01-17-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Day 16 for our buddy Sober45 there SoberRican. The three of us 3 sober champions!!!!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Day 16 here we go!

Yes jr67 I am familiar with that song. It’s on replay now in the back of my head. Lol

But I’m angry. The forecast was calling for a blizzard today. I even did the snow dance last night. Got up this morning and NOTHING…not a flake to be seen falling from the sky. So work it is. I am here now. And the blizzard just started...winds at 100km/hr on the menu for this afternoon. Glad I asked for new winter boots for Christmas this year!

Jr67, I am also having old memories pop up. For me they’re more like images of the past. I’ve been flaking on my bed with my cat after work these last couple days and that’s usually when it happens. They’re so vivid. I didn’t realize this was a part of recovery!

So Santa was good to you. He saw you when you were sleeping, and he saw that you were going to be the *best* little girl in 2020, so you got an early reward.

Or maybe he was following the old schoolteachers' mantra:

See everything,
overlook a great deal,
correct a little.

At least until I just googled it I thought of it as the schoolteachers' mantra. The google attributes it to Pope John XXIII. My mother was a schoolteacher (so was my sister, now retired), and I'm pretty sure that's where I heard it, and that's where I got the idea it was a teacher thing. My mother was also a practicing Catholic, so she probably knew from whence came the quote, and applied it in the elementary-school classroom. Just like Santa does to all us "good" little girls and boys. The cherubs as well as the fallen angels (good thing for some of us) (if the shoe fits, wear it).

Almost a haiku, that quote from PJXXIII. A few of those have been occurring to me these sober days. I used to write haiku (and other poetry) a wee bit more regularly. Hmm, they've been percolating, unbidden, over the past week. Song lyrics too, for example the following just popped into my head, and it sums up the past 16 days and excites me about the next 16 and beyond:

FWIW: There's something happening here / What it is ain't exactly clear.

All right, S and other SR folks: Who knows the reference without googling? Give up? Ok googling allowed, or tune in to these pages later. Sometimes it's more interesting to just speculate about an answer rather than jump onto the handheld, imho, especially IRL, where the conversation may take some unexpected turns.

Sorry about the blizzard arriving late, S. Maybe you'll get out of work early? You got chains for your tires? Or are your huskies in their traces? (I don't know what part of Canada you're from.)

When does the Iditarod Race begin? But of course that's in the good old U.S. of A., even if you're closer to Anchorage and Nome than I am.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a haiku post right here in SR city. Any interest, fellow netizens of SR?

Whoops. It's after 10 a.m., the hamster wheel beckons.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Let me try that again:

I have been toying
with the idea of starting
a haiku thread here.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Let me try that again:

I have been toying
with the idea of starting
a haiku thread here.
Love it!

"There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear"

Congratulations to Sober and everyone else.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

It's time to stop
What's that sound
Everybody look what's going on
Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
It's time to stop
What's that sound
Everybody look what's going on
Pretty close, Obladi.

An 8.5* out of 10 for being first with some of the lyrics, and not grabbing the googler to get them.

* The decision of the judge is final. There is no appeal.

Now, who knows the name of the song?

Who made it famous?

Year?

Were you born yet? (You don't have to answer that. Answer will not be a factor in the scoring.)
Old 01-17-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing sober45?

D
Old 01-17-2020, 05:03 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

coffee, junk food & binge watching a series on YouTube. Kitchen is a mess lol but I feel strong. I really want to move forward on my list tomorrow. It’s so easy to get into a funk when things are not done and I’m living in a mess.

it feels so good though knowing that tomorrow there’ll be no hangover or regret.

jr67, they shut us down at 12PM... gotta love it!

Old 01-18-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Day 17. No hangover and no regrets. Kitchen almost done without spiked coffee. now to get cracking on my list.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Day 17. No hangover and no regrets. Kitchen almost done without spiked coffee. now to get cracking on my list.

Jr's version:

Day 17. No
hangover and no regrets.
Laundry washed, folded.

S45! Did the huskies safely transport you home? How much snow did you end up getting? Is shoveling on your list? It may be for me tomorrow, though we may get just rain here close to the coast. Or we could be on the dreaded border line between snow and rain, where the snow falls first and then the rain makes it so heavy the snow blower can't do it's blowing thing, and we gotta break out the shovels.

But that's tomorrow. One day at a time.

My coffee is spiked with fat-free milk.

Last edited by jr67; 01-18-2020 at 05:14 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-18-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Jr's version:

Day 17. No
hangover and no regrets.
Laundry washed, folded.

S45! Did the huskies safely transport you home? How much snow did you end up getting? Is shoveling on your list? It may be for me tomorrow, though we may get just rain here close to the coast. Or we could be on the dreaded border line between snow and rain, where the snow falls first and then the rain makes it so heavy the snow blower can't do it's blowing thing, and we gotta break out the shovels.

But that's tomorrow. One day at a time.

My coffee is spiked with fat-free milk.
30 inches in some areas. Wind gusts up to 160km/hr. Thankfully we have a snowblower!
Old 01-18-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

30 inches in some areas. Wind gusts up to 160km/hr. Thankfully we have a snowblower!
Watch out. With those winds the snowblower might blow away.

How are the chores going?

Me? It's just 9:40 a.m. Laundry done, like I said.

Now I'm back chillin' with my second cuppa and with my bud S45 and the SR crew.

Better than chillin' outside, where the temp. is 11F, what's that, about -11.666667C?* And overcast, cuz some of your snow, S, is heading my way.

* No kidding, that's what the google said is the equivalent of 11F.**

** Give or take.

Taking down the Christmas lights can wait for a warmer day. Actually I'm going to replace them with Valentine's lights, so I'm gonna wait a week or two anyway. (Reddish/pinkish bulbs, maybe I'll try to fashion a heart shape. I'll send you a photo if you want, if it turns out ok.)

While I'm at it, let's see here, ... (checkin' the google) .... Got it.

160 km = 99.419 miles per hour.

Cheese, S! Never mind about the snowblower, hold on to your house!
Old 01-19-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi S45.

How is your Sunday going? And your (our) Day 18? Mine (ours?) is, as Tony the Tiger said, Great!

I've been busy; you could poke around some of my other posts in other threads to get the detes, if you care to.

Remember that procrastination post I said a while back that I might start? Well upon further reflection, I really, really might! Based not just on the simpatico between you and me on the subject, but some other folks' posts.

But now, we're heading out to do some grocery shopping, etc. etc.

I'll check back in l8r to see wassup wichoo.*

Boi** for now,
jr

* There are so many regional and sociological accents. Luv it dearie.

** That's how they say it in Brooklyn. I've been there, so I can tell you that for a fack.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hi S45.

How is your Sunday going? And your (our) Day 18? Mine (ours?) is, as Tony the Tiger said, Great!

I've been busy; you could poke around some of my other posts in other threads to get the detes, if you care to.

Remember that procrastination post I said a while back that I might start? Well upon further reflection, I really, really might! Based not just on the simpatico between you and me on the subject, but some other folks' posts.

But now, we're heading out to do some grocery shopping, etc. etc.

I'll check back in l8r to see wassup wichoo.*

Boi** for now,
jr

* There are so many regional and sociological accents. Luv it dearie.

** That's how they say it in Brooklyn. I've been there, so I can tell you that for a fack.
Twas a long day of keeping distracted with my to do list. Gotta say things are levelling out. No high no low just dangling in between somewhere. Is this recovery purgatory? Lol.

work it is tomorrow and it’s gonna be a demanding week with some anxiety provoking items on the agenda. I’m looking forward to getting through it without a drink. It might be challenging but I’m reminding myself of how much stronger I’m going to be next week without alcohol.

Sounds like you’re humming along nicely jr. Only one more day and we won’t be teenagers anymore!

chat later me ol’ trout.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl-vbBnJ3I

Old 01-19-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Pretty close, Obladi.

An 8.5* out of 10 for being first with some of the lyrics, and not grabbing the googler to get them.

* The decision of the judge is final. There is no appeal.

Now, who knows the name of the song?

Who made it famous?

Year?

Were you born yet? (You don't have to answer that. Answer will not be a factor in the scoring.)

For what it's worth, done by Buffalo Springfield, and I think it was 1969. Yes, I was alive then. Just checked and it was 1967.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:22 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
For what it's worth, done by Buffalo Springfield, and I think it was 1969. Yes, I was alive then. Just checked and it was 1967.
There is most definitely something happening here.

And the First Prize goes to ....

least!

Congratulations! and ...

(apologies to Shakespeare, Matthew 20:16, and (gulp) Jesus God, however you may perceive her/him/they/us to be, or not to be):

"And the least shall be first, and the first least: for many are called, but few are chosen."

And I say unto you, Sober45, least, and all my fellow SobeRlandians:

We have all been called to awaken
to our newfound land of sobriety.
Allow us to be chosen.

Nay, let us proudly choose
to lead humble lives
of quiet inspiration.

Happy Day 19, Sober 45 and me.

Yours truly,
jr67

P.S. FWIW I was alive then too, but I am more alive today.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Yes, this newfound land is such a great place

woke up this morning to another big snowfall. Street wasn’t plowed so I called my boss and work it is NOT for today. Annual leave is all used now until April 1. Oh well I needed the time to get use to the newfound me.

Day 19 jr67!