Notices

Day 1

Old 01-09-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Mutual congratulations, Sober45 et al. My Day 1 was your Day 1, S45, and here we are at Day 8 already.

It is challenging enough to acknowledge and address our own, umm, challenges, meaning, in this space, substance abuse. Even moreso in situations that are intertwined with another's well-being.

Brings to mind, in a way, those airplane instructions, something like "... be sure to affix your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers."

May tomorrow be Day X-plus-1 for all reading this. One breath at a time.
Congrats to us! Let's do this.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
100%....it's the rationalizing. One thing I've learned is the difference between the subconscious and conscious mind. Once a habit like drinking makes to the subconscious level it's HARD to break and requires a huge amount of conscious purposeful thinking. And the way I look at now is even if I was able to moderate...what would I be doing really...I'd be living my life waiting for my next drink. Day 2.
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. You're absolutely correct, of course. I'm so glad you're still with us. Congratulations, and I hope you're feeling the benefit.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome GinaShoe

keep on racking up those days guys!
D
Old 01-10-2020, 05:16 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Day 9-write it down

aaahhhhh...Day 9 baby!

I bought a new planner and have been putting a ton of effort into making a daily plan and carrying it out. It's working. I even made my bed this morning before coming to work which is something I haven't done my whole life...never seen the point until now.

Between that and reading on SR I think I'm going to make it long term.

Today I'm rewarding myself by going shopping with the money I didn't spend on alcohol.

I also took a picture of myself on day 1 and compared it to what I look like now. The difference after just 9 days is shocking. My face was swollen and puffy and I didn't realize it. Damn, I'm looking pretty good now...might even post a pic of FB soon!

If I plan to learn I must learn to plan. Day 9.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

That's a 9-er for me, too, S45. See you in double digits tomorrow.

Today, it's (beyond) time for me to head to work. I'm self-employed, meaning no one besides me is keeping close track on any given day, and I confess (this is anonymous, right?) that while I've been pretty consistent with various good practices to maintain my sobriety, I have been hibernating to a degree, insulating myself away to lessen the stresses of my work responsibilities.

For the short term, that is. The stresses only multiply if I ignore them too long. I know this from a lifetime of procrastination. But that's another story.

Or is it?

Ok, jr67, correlation is not necessarily causation, but when did you start developing your substance-abusing habits? And when did you start developing your procrastinating habits?

All right, this is S45's thread. Maybe I'll start one of my own about the big P. But not right now. Right now, off to work.

Ciao.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

That's a 9-er for me, too, S45. See you in double digits tomorrow.

Today, it's (beyond) time for me to head to work. I'm self-employed, meaning no one besides me is keeping close track on any given day, and I confess (this is anonymous, right?) that while I've been pretty consistent with various good practices to maintain my sobriety, I have been hibernating to a degree, insulating myself away to lessen the stresses of my work responsibilities.

For the short term, that is. The stresses only multiply if I ignore them too long. I know this from a lifetime of procrastination. But that's another story.

Or is it?

Ok, jr67, correlation is not necessarily causation, but when did you start developing your substance-abusing habits? And when did you start developing your procrastinating habits?

All right, this is S45's thread. Maybe I'll start one of my own about the big P. But not right now. Right now, off to work.

Ciao.
you really got me thinking. Procrastinating has been an issue for as long as I can remember . I started drinking at age 12 (45 now). I pretty much had free reign growing up so there was very little discipline. As I got older my lack of self control lead to all kinds of issues including a messy home and bad finances...just a messy life in general. There is no doubt that I was drinking (in part) to numb the the effects of procrastination.

I have been working on this issue for a long time now and have made a some improvements in the past few years (getting a $15000 tax bill will do that to you!). But also in the past few years my drinking has gotten so much worse. I was using drink as a reward for getting sh** done...and also to numb myself from the things I had not gotten done! Everything became a reason to drink.

That said, sobriety for me I believe is very much dependent on self-discipline. I’m writing everything down now and checking them off one at a time. I just look at my next item and say to myself “Don’t think...DO!”. Seeing results and rewarding myself is really motivating me to stay sober. I believe whatever I put my time into now is going to shape my future daily routine So I must choose wisely and most of all stay focused. And I should say that SR is playing a major role in that.

In time, these new things I’m doing will Lead to a happy life where I’m not consumed by thoughts of alcohol anymore. That is the underlying belief that is getting me through these early days.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:01 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Congratulations Sober and jr!
Old 01-10-2020, 05:03 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Congratulations Sober and jr!
Thank you!!!
Old 01-10-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 9 days sober! Keep going, it gets better, a day at a time. The road can be bumpy at first, but it does get better.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

That is so awesome Sober45!!!!
Old 01-10-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Well, would you look at you, Sober!

Not only are you looking better in the mirror, but the view from over here is pretty great too. Only nine short (I know it's been an eternity, probably) days ago, all you wanted to do is crawl into a hole, and now you're popping out all over buying planners and Doing Things! It's a beautiful sight, it is.

How nice that jr67 has arrived to join you in this mission. It's always good to have a travel buddy.

Moving right along...

O
Old 01-11-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey S45. May I be the first to welcome you (us) to Day 10?

How's Second Saturday going?

I've been up for a while (it's 9 a.m. now) enjoying the clearheadedness (actually l attempted a nap but the synapses were firing away). Soon I'm gonna hafta roll out from under this dog on this cozy couch and head to the gym, an errand or 2, etc. etc. Wonder if I'll still be awake for Saturday Night Live at 11:30 p.m. after I return from dinner (sober for a change).

Thanks for the mutual support, to:

-- S45 (look at that, we have at least one more thing in common); and

-- the rest of you SR folks especially ... (well, you know who you are).

Catch y'all l8r.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey S45. May I be the first to welcome you (us) to Day 10?

How's Second Saturday going?

I've been up for a while (it's 9 a.m. now) enjoying the clearheadedness (actually l attempted a nap but the synapses were firing away). Soon I'm gonna hafta roll out from under this dog on this cozy couch and head to the gym, an errand or 2, etc. etc. Wonder if I'll still be awake for Saturday Night Live at 11:30 p.m. after I return from dinner (sober for a change).

Thanks for the mutual support, to:

-- S45 (look at that, we have at least one more thing in common); and

-- the rest of you SR folks especially ... (well, you know who you are).

Catch y'all l8r.

Day 10 almost in the books! It was a hard one but I pushed through and got a lot done. Made my bed again! Lol spending lots of time decluttering and in the kitchen preparing healthy meals because all I want to do is eat!
Old 01-12-2020, 08:31 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi S45. Our Day 11 is winding down. Today was a good one for me. From the great weather that induced me to dig out my roller blades (I haven't used them in 5 years or so) (I didn't get very far but all my bones are intact, so it was a success), to an out-of-season barbecue at the neighbors' (no just water for me, thanks), to an informal work meeting this evening that someone scheduled at a pub (ditto).

Some of the aforementioned procrastination hits the fan tomorrow afternoon unless I hit the hamster wheel with a vengeance in the morning. Wish me luck. Hope 11 went well for you.

​​​
Old 01-12-2020, 09:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Sober45 and jr67 we all are pulling for you and you are doing great. Stay close to what and who supports you.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks, wisc and those wisc spoke for.

We appreciate it (right S45?).
Old 01-13-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks, wisc and those wisc spoke for.

We appreciate it (right S45?).
Day 12! At my desk and feeling alive jr67! Like you, my work is mounting. I have a backlog to Dec 12th and TODAY is the day I start digging out because there's no better feeling then leaving work knowing I did my best.

You're doing awesome jr....dusting off the old roller blades like that. And facing the day with vigor even though there are obstacles ahead.

Today i'm feeling grateful for the clear head I have and my confidence in facing things without drink is really growing.

The biggest plus right now is my daughter, I have so much more patience in helping her through her own challenges. I'm solid.

And thank you to those who posted messages of support, it means everything to me!!

Time to check off some work goals.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

And just a quick note for other newbies who may be struggling with anxiety and reading this thread. During xmas this year I was super paranoid about everything to the point of having panic attacks most days. After I quit it got worse but only last for a few days. At the time, I honestly didn't know if it was me or the alcohol. Now I know...it was the booze! I can see now that I was withdrawing from alcohol during the day time at work....because I drank every night. So alcohol was causing the problem I was using alcohol to fix!
Old 01-14-2020, 12:13 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

E-hugs, S45, on our Day 13.

Yeah, the roller blades outing on Sunday was cool (did I mention I went no farther than my driveway?). Sometimes enough is enough. (Felt it in my buns today lol.)

Ler's see, what was new on Day 12? Oh yeah, I made a risotto dish to perk up the chicken and brocolli. Love to order risotto when out, but I hadn't made it since, oh, I don't know, about the time I hung up my roller blades. Is there a pattern developing here?

And for 14? Well, first, to bed.

[Quote:]

It's 3 a.m. and there's too much noise,
Don't you people ever go to bed?

[Close quote.]

Ok boomer, who was that?

And new on 14? It's back to winter after a brief hiatus, so no blading. Umm, to the gym for sure, but I've been doing that ... so, .... Dunno. Something will come up, I didn't know I was going to be making risotto till a half hour before it was sizzling in the pan before I started ladling in the broth, so, something will pop up. Or not, is cool. I'll let you know.

And a voice says Hey, hello, how are ya?
Well I guess I'm doin' fine.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Here we are, Day 13! Oh how I wished I could stay in bed this morning but work it is.

Reflecting on some old notes I have here from my last quit attempt in Sept 2019. I was going strong until Day 12. This what I wrote on my last sober day:

"Huge fight with my daughter last night....yesterday was horrible. Many thoughts of drinking occasionally. My body is getting so much stronger. My face looks clearer. I can really feel a difference. This biggest issues is going to be travelling because I have never done that without drinking".

I drank every single day after that until Jan 2/20. The "many thought of drinking occasionally" seems to be my demon.