Notices

New to recovery and sobriety

Old 11-14-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That’s a good question to ask. I don’t really know..
Old 11-14-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad to see your new thread Sweeti, I look forward to following your recovery.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm new too sweetie, I only started in October, I'm doing OK, I always tell myself"there is no answers or joy at the bottom of the empty bottle, I'm only now starting to sleep properly again. I still hear that av and I prob always will, but for now keep up the good fight and have a lovely wee day
Old 11-14-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sweetichick2 View Post
That’s a good question to ask. I don’t really know..
If you can think of 2 or 3 things every day, apart from logging in here, you'll do yourself a power of good.

It might be getting a book you've seen recommended here, or a you tube talk, or checking out an online meeting of some kind - SMART and Lifering have them too.

When you feel better and more mobile you can expand your 'toolbox', whether that be AA meetings, outpatient rehab or counselling, community volunteering or something else.

The more you exercise your mind every day, the more alternatives you'll have the next time the desire to drink comes calling.

Don't be satisfied with 'I don't really know', sweetichick.

Not having any alternatives to hand when the cravings come makes the outcome pretty much assured - - and its not a good outcome.

D
Old 11-14-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

Here is the link to a list of books you may want to look into.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)

I am not sure about Australia, but I know I can check books out of the library and get them right to my iPad. I just had to link my library card, and they download right to my kindle app. You may want to look into this and check a few out.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi sweeti. Reading is a good choice for sobriety. Recovery literature or any subject of interest really. Keeping your mind engaged is healthy, productive and healthy all around. Like Delilah I have an app that links through my library card. I think I get 5 checkouts every 3 weeks or so. Books, video & even music. I use it all the time. It’s so convenient, especially since the books disappear. I don’t even have to worry about returning or late fees. I read one book through the app called To Hell & Back about recovery that I liked so much I ended up buying a used copy off Amazon. I hope you have a good nights sleep.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

How is your recovery going today Sweeti?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How are you today sweeti? What new things are you doing for your recovery so you dont just keep repeating the same cycle of drinking after a few days off the booze ? Especially when you get your benefits money. It's so important to get something in place so its not just the same result of drinking every week. Looking forward to hearing what you are doing and helping if I can too.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

I have been following this thread and your last one, and I just have to say, it is really inspiring how many people are following along. Everytime I check in, there at least 6 people reading along your thread at any given time. You really have a lot of people rooting for you and supporting your recovery.

I really hope you will do something different this time, and get to the other side of your addiction. Life is so much easier sober, but you have to do some hard work. Staying sober is so much easier than getting sober, and you only have to get sober once, hopefully. Wishing you well.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks to all the welwishers and everyone supporting me. I can’t do the library thing. We are back in the dark ages and have to physically go in there. Great suggestion though. I hope everyone is keeping well and hitting the pillow sober.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm guessing it's been a few years since you went to the library or visited their sites

Brisbane Moreton, Ipswich, Gold Coast and Logan libraries all have ebooks (and a lot of other online materials) for loan Sweetichick.

Sunshine Coast libraries too, and Toowoomba

The community cab thing I mentioned a while back will take you to the local library I bet, if you're wanting the physical experience.

Taking action - being responsible for your own future is important.

None even got sober just doing the same things that got them drunk.

Action - even in a little way of checking out libraries and ebooks and other things on the web - is better than just assuming there's nothing out there.

D
Old 11-16-2019, 12:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I didn’t know that Dee. iwaki Lo
Old 11-16-2019, 12:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I will look into it
Old 11-16-2019, 12:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I forgot one - Redlands is hooked up too

D
Old 11-16-2019, 02:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweetichick2 View Post
I can’t do the library thing. We are back in the dark ages and have to physically go in there. Great suggestion though.
I thought that too about the libraries in the U.K., until I just checked and discovered that they have elibrary memberships, which enable access to ebooks, emagazines, films etc.

I also looked at the libraries listed by Dee and they have online membership too. and there’s no need to physically attend, whatsoever. Just complete a very short online form and they’ll send a letter to your address with a code to enter online, so they have proof of your address. They also have audiobooks that can be listened to on tablets, emagazines, ebooks, films, and it’s all free.

Joining the online is a great step to take today, for your recovery!
Old 11-16-2019, 02:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks that was really helpful
Old 11-16-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I drank last night. I couldn’t handle being alone without my ex. I can’t access ebooks because I am barred due to outstanding fines on normal books. Listening to recovery stories on. YouTube. I can barely walk again.last night I fell off the lounge and was on the floor for five hours. The horrors of addiction.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sweetie, how do you get to the shops to get alcohol when you always say you can't walk. Are falling all the time. Why are you driving?
Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

That why it's important to act Sweetie.

Reading and listening to you tube is a good start - and thats why we were all encouraging you and the positive spin you put on this new thread- but you need to do more than that.

You need to do more than post here, because you're plainly not posting here when you need to - when you want to drink.

If you were lonely last night you could have posted here, you could have started a new thread, you could have spoken with others and helped them, you could have hung out in the arcade...you could have gotten numbers from AA and called those people. You could have tried urge surfing or playing the tape through or any number of strategies you've heard about here.

I'm not saying those things to be mean - I'm trying to show you how much more you could do to stay sober.

You need to be prepared to do the hard yards and go to AA meetings and outpatient, and you need to have another serious inner discussion about inpatient rehab.

Each time you drink you're leaving the house - it's heartbreaking to me you won't leave the house for a positive recovery related reason.

It's not a valid excuse that you don't have to go far to get a drink,

Like I said before I'd walk miles to get a drink, but not catch the bus 3 stops to see my Dr.

If the only bottle shop was right beside the place you go to AA or outpatient, you'd make it there. You know you would.

Right now you're simply breaking up drinking with some 'days off'.

When you do drink, you putting yourself in danger and you damage your body (and very likely your brain too) more and more each time.

I'm all for support, and positive threads - but those things alone aren't enough to get you and keep you sober.

You need to decide what you really want.

I hope its recovery I really do- but recovery comes with it a responsibility to work hard, and make changes.

Its a big ask, but I hope you decide to take up the challenge.

D
Old 11-16-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Sweetie, how do you get to the shops to get alcohol when you always say you can't walk. Are falling all the time. Why are you driving?
I use the drive through.. all I have to do is make it to the car. I’m ok sitting down.