Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 30 August - 02 September 2019

Notices

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 30 August - 02 September 2019

Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I want to be on the beach!!!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hang on, Tetrax.

Distract, eat, (good idea on the new meeting,) exercise, do a project like cleaning a closet or painting a wall.

Nothing romantic at all about having to start over on being sober. I've yet to hear one person say how awesome it was to go back to drinking.

Sit on your hands if you have to.
Thanks, yeah the meeting was a good idea. I do feel more comfortable at AA but I heard what I needed to hear. A real shot in the arm of recovery, plus the exercise of walking there and back. Cravings gone. Ice cream bought.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Italia 90
Ha ha love that tournament. Bittersweet though, as an England fan. 'One Night in Turin' is a great watch.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - good to see you all here. I'm in please (a bit later than usual). Nice to see some newcomers - Welcome...

Thanks Mags for the thread. I too had to learn that recovery was far more than just not drinking. In fact, learning about all aspects of recovery was the main focus of my rehab stay and subsequent counselling work. Without this learning (and putting it into action) I think that abstinence would have been impossible over the last few months. It's all still a work in progress though - there's a lot from my past that I have to fix and I sometimes feel I am still bulldozing my way though life expecting to get my own way when others are sometimes still (justifiably) wary... Lessons still to be learnt I think.

I've just seen the prep for Dorian on the news - good luck SoberLeigh. Hi Tetrax may I ask how you found your 2+ month sober group? I could do with something similar here.

I'm coming up to 8 months sober this weekend and will write a longer post reflecting on it on Sunday assuming all is well. For now, it's ODAAT with gratitude.

Warm wishes to all as always. Forwards.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi all. Another sober weekend for me.
Take care of yourselves this weekend.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:17 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi gang. My friends went to Ten Pin Bowling tonight. I went too but reluctantly sat it out as I had a hernia op two weeks ago even though I feel fine now. A group of people in the block of two lanes next to us were fairly drunk and very loud. They would roar with laughter at the most lamest of each others comments. Tch! One underrated virtue of being sober was that I was able to resist passing any sarcastic comments of my own. I didn't really enjoy sitting out as it made me more aware of my not drinking status.

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
Ha ha love that tournament. Bittersweet though, as an England fan. 'One Night in Turin' is a great watch.
ONIT was quite uplifting wasn't it.

Btw Peter Shilton is probably still standing there between the goalposts deciding which way to dive.

Here's something to chill to, Sampa the Great. Originally from Zambia but now lives in Australia
https://youtu.be/DKyZtaH7Tyc

Old 08-30-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Hi Tetrax may I ask how you found your 2+ month sober group? I could do with something similar here.
Yeah, it's put on by the treatment centre I went through.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi....tentatively stepping on for the weekend.
Not really new here, but starting again for various reasons.
Day 6. It has been a week's withdrawals, sleepless sweating at night and red eyed exhaustion by day. But have pulled through it, last night was the first really deep replenishing sleep in many weeks. Its just another world this morning. Very glad I made it to this point.

Weekends are hard. Sat afternoon's the usual fail point. Internal negotiations result in compromises allowing drinking on weekends only. Inevitably continues into the week and quickly develops into around the clock again.
But not this weekend. Just going to take it hour by hour.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I don't usually post in these weekender threads, but it's a long weekend and a big party atmosphere for sure. Just feeling like maybe it's a good idea for some extra SR support

Some great posts here already - thanks to all the Weekenders!!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

This has been a fantastic start to the weekender this week.

Keep it going - come back and give us updates.

I'm going to bed sober. Anyone? I'm too tired to say much more. Lots of outdoor time today.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Had some shocking news today. A co-worker who is a very athletic marathon winner had a heart attack. He's only a few years younger than me and has always been a high performance athlete.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
...One day I might even become a nice human.
You are a nice human, PJ.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Long weekends can be overly tempting. Everybody hang on and push through those cravings. The weekends would usually mean doubling up on the booze, this weekend I am going to double up on some fun instead and go see a football game.

Best of luck to the group, if you need any support just tune into SR, there is so much here.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi sodasoba welcome to the Weekenders , you can get through the weekend and sober
Old 08-30-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

I'm keeping busy, stocked the frij, so got some cooking planned. It gets very quiet here as weekend progresses, live solo so have to entertain self. Drinking too easy when you live single.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sobasoda

D
Old 08-30-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome sodasoba to the weekender thread.
Day 6 is pretty nice work and you will soon be over the physical withdrawal I hope. Stay with us and post hour by hour if that's what it takes.

Last night we stayed on the beach late before heading back to the tent. I was initially reluctant when mrs vman suggested heading off to the beach again this weekend but glad I'm here now.

Hope you all have a great day weekenders.

Captain we miss you, pop in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190831_072017_904.jpg (32.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:41 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Mr

This old decorated caravan is right next to our spot in the camping.

start or seize your day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190831_074102_353.jpg (49.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thanks to all.
From here on until sleep its the weekend dead zone.....gets dark in a couple of hours. Streets around get noisy with revellers to and fro to bars and bottle shops.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Magsie

sodasoba, if you feel like a drink, have something to eat, or have an early night, you’ll feel better in the morning.