Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 30 August - 02 September 2019

Notices

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 30 August - 02 September 2019

Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Magsie

Forgot to say, Bim I like the photo of Kwame and Mrs Kwame. Even though they’ve gotta big space between them they seem to look comfortable with each other? Or is that me being optimistic
Old 08-29-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Forgot to say, Bim I like the photo of Kwame and Mrs Kwame. Even though they’ve gotta big space between them they seem to look comfortable with each other? Or is that me being optimistic
Hm. Well they all get along for the most part. She is very opinionated, selfish, grabby, and full of herself as the young, beautiful, confident, (and I think, pregnant,) strong creature that she is. He puts up with her for days and days and then disciplines her or gives her a lot of attention (?) and she calms down again.

The other day these two had a truce regarding a couple boxes of roses that were dumped in. They sat a couple feet apart and both ate them without drama.

It's fascinating.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags.

Oh yeah stopping is the easy bit staying stopped though that takes work.
On the road...

Sometimes I felt unconsciously as I had accepted that I am an alcoholic I unconsciously used that to justify relapsing for years.
Complicated. OK.

Anyways I'm in you folks for a sober weekend and week.

Salutations weekenders
Old 08-29-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, Mags.

Welcome to those new to the thread.

Realizing the difference between sobriety and recovery was instrumental for me. Sobriety is a must but recovery is integral in finding sobriety both fulfilling and joyous.

Prepping for Dorian here. All supplies have been picked up and our Hurricane Kit is complete. We only need to move furniture lanai furniture indoors.

However, now that Dorian is predicted to make landfall as a Cat 4, we may want or may be asked to evacuate; should know more tomorrow.

Prayers for all along Dorian’s path.

Love to all
Old 08-29-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How funny that the topic relates to the difference between sobriety and recovery. The last time I saw my therapist she asked me if I ever get urges to drink these days. The way I ultimately described it to her was that WeThinkNot v1.0 was the drunk me and v2.0 is the sober me.

The OS upgrade was a huge file, it took several years to download. Once the download was complete it had a bunch of cool new features: gratitude, healthy boundaries with others, physical wellbeing, mental clarity, financial solvency, a relationship with God. Only thing is the drinking feature was rendered obsolete and removed from the upgrade.

I told her that is why I don't get cravings. V2.0 isn't programmed to drink so alcohol does not compute.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

My first weekend sober starting tomorrow. Let's do it!
Old 08-29-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the Weekenders codingsober.

Wethinknot, interesting thought processes I’ve not looked at it in that perspective before.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I’m in for the full weekend. I don’t want to drink still at day 25. I’m in the just stay sober phase. My recovery plan doesn’t exist. I don’t know how to make a plan really. I just work, gym, rest. Keep on going, my life revolving around sober and responsible activities. I need a plan, where to start?
Old 08-29-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome codingsober!

Fingers crossed Hurricane Dorian won't hit a 4 Leigh.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So after feeling pretty normal and positive earlier I ended up having big cravings this evening. This is highly unusual for me, maybe because I didn't have much on today, nor any evening plans. I went for a run which quelled the worst of it. But I wanted to have a day off running 'cause I'm running six days a week right now and don't want to get injured: I may be relying on my running passion more than I realised. But it's that physical jolt I so often need.

Tough, tough AV though. Boy oh boy. I was romanticising this evening, that's for sure.

Definitely gonna hit a meeting tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread fitdrinker Tolkny codingsober and anyone I missed

D
Old 08-29-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I’m in for the full weekend. I don’t want to drink still at day 25. I’m in the just stay sober phase. My recovery plan doesn’t exist. I don’t know how to make a plan really. I just work, gym, rest. Keep on going, my life revolving around sober and responsible activities. I need a plan, where to start?
In the first few months I think staying sober should be the primary focus. Work, gym, and rest sounds like a great plan to me.

I got sober in the month of April and spent the rest of that year just learning how to navigate a strange new world. It wasn't until the New Year when I started making life goals for myself.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Stay safe soberleigh.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

There is this old building I often pass, just before renovations started I noticed something written along the top of the wall...

Every time I pass it I think 'sober'...
Old 08-29-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I’m in. I also had to learn that sobriety and recovery were not the same.
Leigh, you said it well. Be careful and please keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Getting an early start for this one. Been rough since I broke my 7 month streak the other day. Been 3 days since my last drink. Going for 4.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
So after feeling pretty normal and positive earlier I ended up having big cravings this evening. This is highly unusual for me, maybe because I didn't have much on today, nor any evening plans. I went for a run which quelled the worst of it. But I wanted to have a day off running 'cause I'm running six days a week right now and don't want to get injured: I may be relying on my running passion more than I realised. But it's that physical jolt I so often need.

Tough, tough AV though. Boy oh boy. I was romanticising this evening, that's for sure.

Definitely gonna hit a meeting tomorrow.
I’ve had some bad AV lately too. Also romanticizing. Funny how that voice tries to be alluring. God I hate it.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I am slowly starting to understand the difference between sobriety and recovery. The more comfortable I feel in sobriety the more I feel confident to put recovery plans together and work hard at it. Thank you SR.
Makes perfect sense Callas, best of luck with your plans.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
Getting an early start for this one. Been rough since I broke my 7 month streak the other day. Been 3 days since my last drink. Going for 4.
Seven months good for you, this is just a little bump in the road. You will get back there.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

Tetrax & BeABetterMan, the romancing is a great sales pitch for the alcohol business. We know if we play the tape forward it’s not like that for us...or we wouldn’t be here.

I wore rosy coloured booze glasses for years, they brought me a lot of regret, hangovers, embarrassment.