Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 30 August - 02 September 2019

Notices

Sober Road of Recovery through another Weekend - Weekenders 30 August - 02 September 2019

Old 08-30-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vinny, that’s some caravan you’re next to!
Old 08-31-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders sodasoba, you too MITA - good to see you.

Great pics VMan

A few light clouds have appeared now but when I was by the canal earlier it was completely cloudless. I was glad of my sunglasses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190831_080806.jpg (37.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 12:36 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Magsie

Looks so peaceful Saou, I’ve only ever seen the hectic side of London until you, Kaily and Andy posted pics. Is the barge a working one or has someone converted for a home?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:58 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, a busy thread this weekend. Welcome to any newcomers.

Hope your co worker is recovering STDragon.

I am feeling out of sorts. Very much so. I have been obsessing over things that have nothing to do with me. I don't have any control of it. Like I want to fix everything. Anything from other peoples dogs that I think aren't happy to things I read here on SR that I think aren't right. The thoughts go round and round in my head driving me mad.

I have also have been acting impulsively which is always a sign my mental health is off kilter. I am scared it will decline as it has done before. I know when I am vulnerable, withdrawing and acting out of character.

Anyway due to that I have a new second hand sofa arriving in a few hours time. It is coming 130 miles so needless to say I haven't even actually seen it in real life. I can't afford it nor do I have room for it. It sorta just happened, can't explain.

So that's me at the mo. Susceptible.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm in. 2nd sober weekend in a long long time. Thanks for all your posts so far and wishing you a happy & sober Saturday x
Old 08-31-2019, 01:13 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, it’s good you recognise the signs. It was my job to fix the world but I’ve stepped down now, it’s too much for one person to be master of the universe. It took me a while and I still want to help with things that out of my reach sometimes which I can’t, but I’m able to put it in perspective.

Stay close when you’re struggling. Hope you like your sofa. xx
Old 08-31-2019, 01:14 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi rainbowalien have a good sober second weekend!
Old 08-31-2019, 01:51 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Got through Friday! Went the gym, home about 7.30pm, had something to eat and drank two large glasses of blackcurrant and soda with ice while watching a movie. Wasn’t too bad. I had strong cravings to get som booze in the early afternoon yesterday, but that passed and no booze was consumed which I’m very happy about this morning.

Noe to smash through Saturday - Feeling strong.

Have a lovely day everyone x
Old 08-31-2019, 01:52 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard rainbowalien

Good morning Weekenders!
Waking up with NO hangover on a Saturday is still priceless!

Have a good day! ☼
Old 08-31-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Mr

You're sober and recognize the signs Kaily so now you can get in front of it.

Welcome rainbowAllen, codingSober

Hello to all
Old 08-31-2019, 02:38 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Mr

14 connected to the weekender wow

Welcome guests.
Feel free to sign up.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:07 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Well it's especially nice waking up hangover-free today after that barrage from the old AV the past couple days. I guess it's good to be tested from time to time, to not let myself get too complacent and all.

Drinking now would be a dangerous backwards step. I'm trying to move forwards.

Happy Saturday all.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning and happy Saturday. It's miserable and rainy outside. Will be visiting Mrs Dragons new office in a high rise tower, they recently moved into. Three whole floors 20+ stories up. All new high tech stuff, rising desks, moving walls, auto frosting glass, noise canceling systems, ambient light detection the list goes on....
Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Tetrax, I had 100% faith in you.

Kaily, I have to be very careful with my codependent tendencies. Codependency is what initially brought me into recovery in 1989, I learned it at my mother's knee and when I was in my early thirties I could no longer deal with people at all. I just could not handle any of my relationships and I was always trying to save everyone and everything and keep everyone happy. It's exhausting, and it's not my job, like Mags said.

I have very little actual control of things outside my own head, so it did make sense to me to focus my efforts on the things I could change; like my controlling nature, my need to fix, my inability to let things go that weren't mine. I had to dig way back into my family history to find out where all that came from. It was making me miserable and it became obsessive.

This time around when I quit drinking I had to address some of that again, but that was because alcohol really messed with my cognitive processes and then I went to recovery meetings and if ever there were a group of people with boundary issues...it would be a room full of alcohol/drug abusers. We are notoriously bad with boundaries.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders. Hangover free mornings are still the best, Koala!!

Those are great observations Bimini. Very helpful to those of us who strive to be "in control - of everything - all the time". It's not possible, and it's exhausting!!

Enjoy the day everyone!
Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

This is such a good topic and one I've been thinking about a lot since I re-entered the sober life (70 days ago today). I haven't got a lot to add to the debate other than to say that I whole-heartedly believe that, for me anyway, there is a huge difference between recovery and plain old abstinence! I managed to stay completely sober for 17 months in 2014-2015 and I remember thinking often during that time how easy it was. After one particularly heavy drinking day I 'simply' decided I'd had enough of the booze and the next day I stopped. My ability to do this didn't surprise me at the time because I've always liked to think I could be in control if I wanted to and therefore I'd just exercised that element of control over alcohol. I neatly overlooked the fact of course that my drinking had actually been out of control for many years before then.

So I didn't have a plan and I didn't look for support, I just relied on willpower and assumed - I now realise - that abstinence was recovery. And so it was until the day I agreed to have a glass of wine because otherwise my dinner companions couldn't get the special 'one bottle for the price of one glass offer'! I remember thinking, "why not"? I know the answer to that now but it's a shame it took nearly 4 years to find it, and 4 often despairing, remorse filled and daily drinking years at that.

Now I do have a plan and it includes, of course, signing up and posting here everyday as well other strategies picked up from different SR members. And via this thread I've now found a new strategy, courtesy of bim. Such a brilliant idea to bring to mind the names of some SR members when the AV strikes. I'm going to chose the ones from the gratitude list that I post to because they are such an inspiring lot.

I wish everyone a good weekend. I shall keep on reading these interesting contributions. I'm never again going to think I could have a drink if it wanted one. I recognise that statement in itself doesn't mean I won't have one, although if my plan works I won't, but it does mean I categorically know the difference between recovery and abstinence.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Mags, that narrowboat is almost certainly for recreational or residential use. Until quite recently it was an affordable way to live in central London but as ever greedy councils cottoned on and priced many people out. Some of them are magnificent. Btw that sunshine did not last much longer. It clouded up later.

Welcome to Weekenders Rose and many congratulations on 70 days sober. I really like your idea of checking out some SR members - I had completely forgotten it but that is what I used to do when I first joined SR. Someone called MelindaFlowers who no longer posts was a particular favourite of mine.

Sending positive vibes your way Kaily, there are far worse impulse buys than second hand sofas and i'm sure you have good taste so it'll fit in just fine. On the VERY few occasions I have attempted to fix a relationship ori mprove someone's situation things invariably take a turn for the worse. If it's a cars or bit of machinery though...

Best wishes to all of you out there determined to stay sober.

Kaily's impulse buy reminded me of this track. I might have posted it before but Soulwax are from Belgium and not many Belgian music vids get posted on SR (or anywhere else outside of Belgium tbh) so...
https://youtu.be/EF3bu9fmheA
Old 08-31-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey all, happy saturday! Almost done at the zoo and have some down time so I decided to check in. Life is moving right along. I went on a little date with a guy last night and we had dinner and watched a movie and held hands. It was nice. Going at a snail pace though, because I am not ready for anything serious and have a habit of giving way too much too fast.

Other than that, I'm good. Fall is coming, and I already got one of the starbucks pumpkin drinks, so I'm super ready for it, haha.

That's about it, I guess. An evening home relaxing with a little ice cream sounds great right now.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

53rd sober weekend in a row so, I think I'll go get a chip.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders
Made it past beer o'clock and through the quiet hours of Sat night (dark chocolate helps) and out into Sunday morning. Day 7 kicks off...
Have a good weekend all.