Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 09 - 12 August 2019

Notices

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 09 - 12 August 2019

Old 08-09-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I need to be up fairly early tomorrow but this is the first night i've not gone to bed exhausted. More biblical amounts of rain today and some power outtages in my home town I hear. Hey ho.

Not sure if you went on that 1980's themed cruise WeThinkNot but this one's for you. I actually think this was released in the US at the end of 1979 but it was a hit in the UK in 1981 so it counts! Btw this is a great song but they look like 5 dads dancing so maybe close your eyes and just listen.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I love how quickly not drinking on the weekend starts to feel like the new normal.

I am going to put my ear pods in and listen to some dad disco now.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Saturday morning, just got light, took its time this morning!

Saou, I love the phrase ‘biblical rain’ great pic.

After a hectic week spring cleaning ( I know, I don’t know how we got to August. ) I’m having an easy weekend.

Visiting my in-laws later today and lunch out with my step-mum and family tomorrow. And a trip to visit my brother and mum and dad at the cemetery. (It’s not local so I don’t get there much).

Have a good sober weekend.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Just going to bed and it is nice that I washed my face, brushed my teeth, skin care routine, vitamins and that I will fall asleep not just pass out and sleep horribly. I have yoga in the morning and plan a day at home reading and napping afterwards. I’m avoiding the pool and any temptation to drink this weekend. Night SR
Old 08-09-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Early morning wake-up, had some porridge and a cup of coffee. It's foggy outside. But my plan for the day is ... research! Oh, I've been waiting for the weekend to get some work done on that front.

Hope everyone's having a great Saturday morning!

There's a hiphop festival in town here, so lots of drunk underage people in weird clothes moving around.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.
What a great evening I had last night.
Hooked up with some what were really good friends back in the day. Unlike back in the day last night there was a bottle of coca cola sprite and fanta on the table and nobody even mentioned having a drink. Being sober now helped me get in that frame of mind where I was just happy to see my old friends. Good. Like said above normal. Of course I ate way too much though

I'm in Shannon in Co Clare now edging closer to Tetra territory. I do love galway so we might have one more stop before heading back down to the south east.

The night before last we went to see a trad session in a hotel pub there were mandolins banjos two guitars fiddle accordion and a roughly 6 years old boy with a bodhran. The sweet sounds they made were beautiful and made the loud noisy boozy pub scene just about acceptable.

Happy Saturday weekenders.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Checking in for another sober weekend - very glad to be here! Like Saou we have had biblical rain and power outages here...

Thanks Mags for the thread. My AV has been calling from time to time and successful days have been a bit tricky lately - the 'surely now I can have a drink' thought crops up from time to time. My toolkit is robust though - I have gained a lot from my rehab stay, counsellors, mental health team and a huge amount from SR. I'm going to spend some time this weekend going through my notes and shoring everything up...

Well done Manta on your swimming and congrats on the job. When I was early in recovery I went swimming three or four times a week and sometimes got up to a mile. Yesterday I only had time for a kilometre but I still try to go regularly. As you note, it can be incredibly meditative if the pool is quiet. I would certainly recommend it to anyone on the recovery path.

I have a quiet weekend this time around with lots or reading to get through. We have a dinner planned for Sunday with family visiting from up country which is something to look forward to.

Anyway, warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hello all!
At work now, 1/2 day.
Here's Little Annie lounging in her bowl this morning.
Wishing everyone a nice weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lannie080819A.JPG (82.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-10-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all,

Phew, lot's of posts to catch up, didn't check in yesterday. Busy exciting day yesterday, my son took his drivers test. Didn't pass due to another driver with a knocked out turn signal getting in the way. His next test is now mid-September.

I went out flying with my buddy and his wife to a few towns over for burgers. It was a blast. Had a bit of excitement on the return trip as we had to abort landing due to another aircraft having lost power.

Was up late last night helping to wash, refuel and push the aircraft into it's hanger and as a result, slept in this morning.

Last night I sort-a had a drinking dream. In my dream I had a big fight with Mrs D. I then went to a hiding spot to fetch my wallet and other items. There I had a flask of alcohol which I picked up, shook, and then put back. Telling myself "it's not a good reason to drink". I wish in my dreams I had thrown it way. Putting it back was like saying I'm leaving the option to drink open. In my real life, that is not an option.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Dragon, you don't have to feel guilty for not throwing out your dream alcohol.

I just had a big breakfast and now I'm going to make some curried butternut squash soup for lunch later.

Have a great sober weekend. Sounds like everyone is doing well.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

STDragon, my husband has to take a drivers test, first in his life. I need to get him some driving lessons. He has driven a motorcycle all his life but not a car. It’s scary even for a grown man to be driving.

I also had a drinking dream, there was violence and a man was trying to kill me. I was drunk but had to drive a car to get away and just knew I’d end up getting a dui. Scary stuff.

I woke up peaceful, safe and made it to yoga this morning then later did a cardio session and felt amazing. I felt relaxed and energized. Now it’s quesadilla time, some reading, napping. It will be a nice weekend at home. I may not get much woke done, but if I’m well rested I will be more productive during the work week.

Happy Saturday SR 🌺
Old 08-10-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm back in London which hasn't coped very well without me. A 650 mile drive on British roads is tiring so a take-away dinner is called for.

I am clueless when it comes to identifying snakes but Annie has fantastic colourings.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Just quick check-in.

Lunar, I have a bowl absolutely just like yours but NO SNAKE.

Love, respect, support to all of you wonderful people.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Lunar, that python is gorgeous!!! I always wanted to get a ball python, but I don't have the funds to properly care for one. I think they're gorgeous reptiles.

Everything is good on my end! Another day at the zoo and then I have a movie night planned with friends. Otherwise, doing great. Glad everyone seems to be having a nice weekend.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

evening all, hope everone is doing well.

I am dog-tired today, in spite of napping for a few hours this afternoon. I need to practise some better self-care during the week & get some more sleep so I don't spend my hard-won weekend trying to catch up.

That's a lovely snake lunar. I was properly phobic until my 20's but now I find them fascinating. I can't see anything obvious to get a sense of scale from though, so I'm not sure if she's in a ceral bowl or a paddling pool. try not to get eaten if it's the latter.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I'm back in London which hasn't coped very well without me.
I hope you've brought some electricity back with you Sao. the railways ran out while you were gone.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
I hope you've brought some electricity back with you Sao. the railways ran out while you were gone.
I've got some 50 pence pieces for the meter!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Settle in well, Sao. Did you notify the authorities that you would be on leave? Hoping all order will be restored soon.

Vman, good to hear you had such a good evening with your old friends, and how everyone was fine without even mention of having a drink. Seems to me like your friends have also resolved to evolve their ways, but that’s just my impression.

What a day that must have been, Dragon! It seems harsh that your son did not pass seemingly through no fault of his own. I can only hope the person with the knocked out turn signal did not pass either.

Wishing everyone a peaceful Saturday (evening where I am).
Old 08-10-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi, Saturday night here and it's been a week sober and feeling good. Promised the family a take away tomorrow and nice to know I can drive without worrying about being over the limit. The kids have requested McDonald's so I'm trying to decide what to have as not keen on that myself. I think I might get myself a curry. Haven't really thought about drinking much which is good. A few fleeting thoughts if I see an advert or something but goes pretty quick.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

just life here

unseasonally cold

still going to my homegroup meeting Saturdays, Sunday now

busy day- a walk with a friend who struggles with recovery-well, from everything really, then a visit to an exhibition by a student collective where a friend is part of it- she has natural talent

maybe another exhib, then art with rules homework

I am lodging a protest at starting sentences with a capital