Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 09 - 12 August 2019

Notices

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 09 - 12 August 2019

Old 08-08-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good to see you mariposa! How have things been??

Manta, your pool day sounds amazing. I’m glad you had a good time and managed to get 64 laps in!!

Today i I had an interview for Big Brothers Big Sisters, as I am mentoring in their mentor2.0 program for high schoolers. It was really great and the person interviewing me said I have a lot to offer. I’m confident I’ll get matched. I’m excited. I always wanted to volunteer and stuff but it got in the way of my drinking. I’m really looking forward to making a difference to someone, because I know I would have loved that support in high school when I felt so lost.

I will say that ice cream is a tool I also use, although I’m trying to curb it a little. But tonight I got a peanut butter brownie and it was perfect.

Gonna watch some wrestling and head to bed. Night all.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Wow Dpac, that's great.

To sort of echo what kk1k5x was saying;

As I posted earlier, I drove Mrs Dragon to the next town over to meet with her friends for the day. Naturally she was relying on me being available in the early evening to pick her up again. I was reflecting later in the afternoon what it would be like if I were still drinking. That having to wait to fetch Mrs D before I could drink would've been torture to me. I know could not have risked having a few because it's never was just a few. So Gratitude that alcohol doesn't have that grip on me anymore. Gratitude for my freedom from it. Gratitude for what my life has become.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

MantaLady sounds like a fantastic time in the swimming pool. It really is a good all-round exercise.

Dpac that’s great news!

Lunar, what a magnificent photo, now MantaLady how about a swim in this reservoir?

Bim, I actually tried the tapping technique, years ago, and it worked! Guess what, I didn’t do it again. I wasn’t ready to stop drinking.

When I stopped drinking the first time about 18 years ago I did it on my own, then I thought I was back to being a normie and could drink like one! No way! Slithered straight down the snake to ‘Start’.

Then 6 years ago when my life started falling to pieces and I couldn’t hold it together any more, I stopped. That was it! I didn’t, I don’t drink anymore.

That was the easy part, stopping. How to stay stopped was what I needed help with. So I searched the internet and found, for me, my life-saver, SR. I was like a lost girl trying to find my way.

And unbeknowningly, I was gathering tools on my way. Something a member said resonated with me and I kept hold of it for future use.

Thus I was able to build up a good collection of tools to use. My favourite one being ‘playing the tape forward’.

Reading member’s posts can help find the tools that will suit your life, aid you to get up that ladder and not slither down the snake.

Have a good Friday, the weekend is upon us. xx
Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi all

Some great posts already.

Glad you enjoyed your swim Manta, you sounded exhilarated afterwards, a renewed vigour can only be a good thing.

Dpac I still wonder how you find enough hours in the day for all the stuff you have going on. Such positively is brilliant. You are inspiring.

Stdragon I remember many times that I couldn't/shouldn't drink because of having to drive later in the day. More often than not I failed and let people down.
I even cancelled Christmas year before last, literally last minute. I woke up still drunk from the night before, drank some more phoned to uninvite family on Christmas morning. I then drove to the shop bought a litre of vodka and drank it. Threw all the dinner ingredients out to the wildlife. What a miserable day that was.

My main tool without doubt is here on SR. Other tools include long walks with my dogs when I am up to it. Fear of going back to being a hapless drunk. Also isolation to keep myself safe from any emotional triggers. Although being lonely is also a trigger...

A work in progress.

Thanks once again for the thread Mags.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Manta, I must say that swim sounds like an excellent opportunity to zone out, in a healthy, unadulterated way. Sounds like an excellent addition to the toolkit.

In my case a really bad cold helped keep the AV at bay since Monday or so. Thankfully I feel like a new person this morning. Strange to think that at times not even the worst cold could keep me from drinking.

Like some of you, we have a public holiday, which means a long weekend. I started it off by slicing a homemade smoked bacon, which took about two weeks to reach the slicing and packing stage. Sampled the result and I am mighty pleased!

Lunar, nice pic but my rod would be unsteady as though I had the shakes. Who knows what could be lurking in those waters:

Have a great weekend everyone, and please keep the tread moving along nicely. I know each contribution is helping me keep my eye on the ball.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good photo Captain, looks like our pike, it’s a good size!
Old 08-09-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, but I don’t take credit for the photo or the fish. It was taken in Finland where, it would seem, appropriate camou attire is considered crucial to the success of any fishing trip.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the kind words. Truth is, I wasted a LOT of time drinking, and I didn't realize that I did have all this time to do productive things with. The mentor program, while a commitment, isn't a huge one. I write to my match once a week and meet once a month, so it's very manageable. I still have a good amount of free time for me in the evenings, which is something that I don't like to compromise. So, balance.

Someone on another thread said that if we're able to make it back from the lowest point in our lives, it can be the best thing that happened to us. I always appreciate people sharing those low points, because it gives hope. Great to see how well people are doing since those dark days.

I say this a lot, but I really, truly appreciate all of you, and am so grateful that we're able to connect on here and support each other. It's amazing.

With that, it's time for a workout, shower, and off to work. Have a great Friday everyone!!
Old 08-09-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just got a call, got the new contract and start on 27th August! Super chuffed and looking into buying a caravan in Wales next to the beach now lol
Old 08-09-2019, 05:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mantra Lady that is fabulous news.
And to everyone one here - you are all amazing.
I lost my way a little while ago after two years. I didn't forget how my tools worked though and I am stronger than ever. My power tools are like Dragons - gratitude for my sober life and fear that it may be taken away from me. I have strengthened my barriers but I still have trouble with people pleasing.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Captain. You'd think the camo for fishing would be something like blue sky and clouds.

Congrats, Manta! You don't have to go into the city do you? Caravan on the beach sounds fantastic.

I woke up with way too much anxiety this morning. It passed after 30 squats and running in place for one minute and then steady deep breathing while the coffee brewed. No idea why that happens, I'm just glad I've found a quick easy way to banish it.

Friday, right?

Everyone lurking this thread...commit to going to bed sober tonight. Sober Saturday morning never gets old.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Mr

Good day folks.
We are moving on today.
Going to spend a night at some old friends.
We had so much rain last night that there was surface water everywhere in the caravan park this morning (40mm) I haven't seen such a rainy Ireland in a while.

We had a great walk yesterday and this photo of the Atlantic over rocks went a bit bonky but it looks like a cool waterfall (there was no waterfall btw)
Congratulations for the new job Manta and I highly recommend the caravan great fun and freedom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_36701.jpg (53.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Thanks Mags, but I don’t take credit for the photo or the fish. It was taken in Finland where, it would seem, appropriate camou attire is considered crucial to the success of any fishing trip.
that explains it - I was wondering where his legs were.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations MantaLady, a caravan next to the beach sounds heaven.

VMan, great photo.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags, and each of you for your wonderful posts.

When I first chose sobriety, I was simultaneously embarking upon a caregiving venture that would last a few years. There was no time in my life for AA , etc. but I did some online reading on alcoholism and recovery. Understanding the beast and its challenges was helpful. I also indulged in copious amounts of M&Ms and ice cream, often both at once. I was a successful, but unhappy, white-knuckler. Several months in, in what I truly believe was a Grace of God moment, I found true gratitude for my sobriety - for each and every single second of it. That gratitude was a game-changer. I was happy in my sobriety. My first thought every morning was and still is “Thank you, God” followed, always, by “Coffee!!!,!”.

When my caregiving venture was ‘completed’, I found SR - what a blessing. Here I found the most amazing of people and mutual support.

Thanks and love to all of you.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm just glad I rarely think of drinking, and when I do, it's always to be grateful that I no longer drink.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Mariposa, dpac, MantaLady!

I hope your golf went well Callas. I don't play much real golf as when I did we used it as an excuse to drink. I am currently in the home of golf - Scotland although there are few if any courses in the highlands.

Glen Lyon. I just made it back to the car before the heavens opened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190809_190452.jpg (15.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good you see you SoberLeigh and least.

Nice pic Sao. Makes me wish I could spend a weekend in a cabin or rustic cottage in those lovely mountains, especially in such evening weather!
Old 08-09-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

Count me in for another fine sober weekend! ☼
Old 08-09-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Had a Friday afternoon craving but made it home and decided on eating and napping. I’ve had a long week, money worries, but overall it’s all going to workout bit by bit as long as I don’t drink.