Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 09 - 12 August 2019

Notices

When the AV starts calling.....am I ready? Weekenders 09 - 12 August 2019

Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Manta, in the U.S. Bupropion is also used to treat smoking cessation and it is an NDRI antidepressant...sold here under the brand names Wellbutrin, Forfivo XL, Aplenzin, and Zyban.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yes, it was harder for me to give up smoking than it was to give up drinking. I Wish you could do the Champix - it really did help me, I think. But there are other ways. I hope you get there someday! I really do feel much better, physically and mentally, now that it's been a couple of weeks.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Zyban and Wellbutrin are prescription medicines in the U.K. as well so can’t buy them. Dr’s refuse to prescribe them and send you to a smoking cessation clinic. At the clinic they will only give you 7 days at a time and you have to attend for a full evening ( 3 hours) each week where you do an hours class and then sit in a queue for the next 2 hours waiting to be called to collect your next weeks prescription. For anyone who has a job they are impossible to attend due to the times of the meetings. It’s a bit of a joke really, they don’t make it easy to get help grr
Old 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh I had no idea, Manta. You'd think the NHS would want people to quit and not make it so hard to get help. Chantix is by prescription here, too, but I just went to my GP and asked for it. Most health insurance covers it, for me it was $0 with my insurance. I have heard other people paid very little for it. BTW, I stopped taking it before my trip because it did make me a bit nauseated and I didn't want to be feeling that way while flying or while trying to enjoy a vacation. I did fine without it. So I took it for a total of about 5 weeks.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Magsie

Saou, pleased you’re home and ok. Netflix, coffee/tea and relaxation seems on the cards for a few days.

Andy, he must’ve got a heck of a shock!

MantaLady, they do make it awkward to stop smoking for you. At my last job, they encouraged stopping smoking and would send you to all sorts of help to achieve it. Perhaps your new place of work has a system in place to help?

Catch you all later
Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.
Early start here and off to the airport.
No more "sunny spells and scattered showers"
Even though its only a small hop away its always weird leaving where you roots are.
See you all later
V.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks once again guys, I am a bit sore but I managed about 5 hours sleep last night which was not bad, more than I expected.

That's a shame about the Champix Manta but at least now that you're not drinking that will make quitting a lot easier.

Interesting that a few of you say quitting cigs was harder than quitting booze. That wasn't the case for me at all which I would put down to being 28 when I quit smoking but 54 when I quit drinking. Quitting bad habits while you're still young is a good idea.

There were few aides to quitting smoking in the 1980s. They had just bought out the nicotine patches but I did not get on with them at all. For a start they were really hard to light.

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
glad it went well Sao. better than this chap's op anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-20000-payout

Circumcised by mistake! Talk about making a slip and getting the sack.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:21 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...st-2019-a.html (Regret & Remorse - Do they, will they ever go away? Weekenders 16 - 19 August 2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Glad you got some sleep and are feeling ok Sao x.