Notices

Guilty Pleasures - Why Guilty? Weekenders 02 - 05 August 2019

Old 08-04-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Ayers, love all of that.

Earthworms! That's a good topic. Also one of those words I've never typed.

Sao, a trip to Scotland sounds magical. I've never been there - or anywhere in the UK, for that matter. Have a fantastic time. Do you have specific plans, or just a get-out-of-town plan?

Sunday: I'm going to the beach today. Yesterday I walked on my local forest trail barefoot. That was a first for me. It was fantastic. Kick off your shoes, Weekenders. Only bad thing is I had to watch my step and couldn't watch out for bears - who like blackberries, too. Not that it would matter if I was wearing shoes when running into a bear...
Old 08-04-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Sao

My guilty pleasure so far is puppy on lap, huge dark roast coffee with heavy cream, posting on SR instead of working on computer, and watching the mist burn off the lake in the early morning.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Managed to finally get to sleep. I realized this morning that it was due to drinking this drink mix around 7pm that had caffeine in it and I forgot. Whoops. Not too tired today though. Woke up and read around on here then did my workout. Having some me time in the morning has been feeling good so far.

Glad you are feeling better Mags, and glad you're back to posting. .

Ayers, can you describe your earthworm farm? I've never heard of that, other than maybe a compost pile in the backyard. Do you keep it for garden health? Fishing purposes? Otherwise, sounds really cool.

Also Kaily, I forgot to congratulate you on 9 months! You have really been going through it lately, so you should be really proud to reach this milestone. You definitely earned it.

Well, 30 min before I need to get to work, so I'd better get moving. I had some peaches and cherries from the farmer's market, and there's really nothing better than fresh, locally grown fruit, as we've already discussed vis a vis blackberries.

Have a relaxing Sunday, all. I'll be back later. (Not 9pm this time, thank god.) .
Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
saoutchik

McGreetings from Scotland!

Mags, i'm glad you're feeling better. Even before I drank too much I used to hate being ill at the Weekend, it seemed so unfair.

Many thanks to all of you for the wellwishes, that was good to read. I have not been here long, just unpacked and discovered I forgot my walking boots, the ones that got me up Cairn Gorm It is chucking it down too, inevitably. Never mind, i'll have to stay of the mud.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

In Sao's honor, here's a Pic of The Highlands sans Precip just East of Ft. Williams. Around National Land where parts of Braveheart were filmed. That's diminutive me in the blue Slicker in the distance.

A steady work Day yesterday. Washed and detailed the new Truck. Installed a pretty macho Bed Liner. Tried to fit some pricey, promising Seat Covers that ultimately didn't cut it. So, back they go. Researched some Vehicle Audio upgrades. Talked to a high-end Installer, but will wind up doing it myself later this Year. Watched a few Vids on popping off Truck Door Panels, and it's all kinda-easy stuff compared to the Solar Power System I put on our RV Trailer. Assembled and fit a new Bike Rack. In doing so, got a nearly-invisible Metal Splinter in my Thumb that I'm still trying to dig out using a Magnifying Glass. Much easier while Sober, so it'll happen eventually. Power Washed the Stamped Concrete Patio when done, cuz Rural Dirt.

Cuban Take-Out last Night with Pals. The Gent runs a Taco Truck during the Week, and definitely knows what he's doing. MesaMate's Homemade Apricot Cobber using local Organic Fruit for Dessert. Slept like a proverbial Log.

Mebbe a Mesa Breakfast Burrito w/Shrimp & fixins in a bit...

~ 'Mountain Men' ~ Jethro Tull ~

Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I remember that earthworms have 9 hearts. Not sure if that’s just a wrong memory from my childhood or it’s true.

Saou glad you got there ok. It’s raining here too and thundering and lightening.

MesaMan, your food always sounds so delicious, apricot cobbler. Makes me hungry just writing it. Hope the metal splinter works its way out ok. Great pic of Scotland.

Dpac, I hope work was ok, I agree about locally grown food. We grow a few things in greenhouse and always taste really nice.

Kaily Congratulations on 9 months!

I must be a lot better, I’m talking about food!
Old 08-04-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

MesaMan, a metal splinter sounds like a real bugger. If it’s ferrous metals we’re talking about, have you tried a very strong magnet?
Old 08-04-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Mr

Lashing down here too.. We managed to get an hours walk in.

Fort William brings back memories. Been there a few times hiking and skiing. Must get back there before I croke

Nothing beats growing your own food if you're lucky enough to have a garden. It's a way of life.

Is it common to feel really really tired on holidays any of you ever experience that... I could honestly go to sleep for a few hours in the middle of the day every day...

Hope you are all having a good day weekenders.

Goodnight.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

evening all. hope everyone is doing well.

12 years is a lot of squeaking Bim - top marks for perseverance!

I've had a good weekend - some Fun Stuff, some Useful Things & I'm set for the week ahead. nothing that alcohol would have improved in any way.

and now I'm just chilling with Stranger Things and a cup of tea.

stay safe all.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
...STDragon doesn't seem too much wrong with your motivation.
Thanks, I have big plans for my vacation time but it took over 2 days to get moving and I was beginning to get frustrated with myself. By Monday, things started moving. I choose to get one thing done each day and it seems to snowball from there.

I found some really neat rubber liner for inside my new workbench today and I picked up the materials required for the bench top. That was my one thing for today, as I had to borrow a van to get it. But I ended up putting the new backing on my cabinet, so bonus.

The aphids are bad this year, everything is getting covered in their sticky goop. The roads are turning black and both cars need a daily wash just to see clearly out the windows.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.5203738
Old 08-04-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

How is the show Stranger Things Andyh? My wife want's me to start watching it with her.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:46 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

VMan, I think if you fancy a nap for an hour, go for it. Mr.M likes ‘forty winks’ and feels a lot better for it.

Dragon that’s a lot of aphids dropping down. We had it a while ago, it made a mess of the car and drive daily.

Monday is here already and hopefully we’re all still sober!

We’re here all week too if you want to join in for support and conversation.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Dpac, I googled it, and made my own - you can buy them online, but it's basically two Rubbermaid type containers fitted into one another - with some holes poked into the top one (I used a soldering iron to make them)

Then you start off with layers of damp newspaper and your worms (red wrigglers) and stuff that will make good compost. And you keep adding. And end up with vermicompost - good stuff that I use in my organic veggie garden.

My son would love to get his grubby little paws in there for his fishing , but it is a "hands off zone"
Old 08-05-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Checking in this fine Monday morning. Accounted for and Sober!
Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Monday morning and another sober weekend in the books. The blackberries - I'll go get more today. So much fiber, so delicious, so few calories as long as I don't cave and get ice cream...

Aphids causing problems on roads? I've never heard of that! Sounds like the love-bug issues in Florida. They were so bad that the state put free drive-through high pressure car rinses on the Interstate Freeway system because the bugs would gum up the windshields and windshield wipers wouldn't work.

If you're reading this thread and still struggling with [any] addiction, jump in and post. Just the act of reaching out and/or putting thoughts out into the ether can be enough to get started on a new life. Cathartic. Healing. If you need a miracle today, you're the miracle.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope you have managed to shift that metal splinter MesaMan as they tend to be more infectious than wood splinters.

The Highlands are just amazing though at one point it rained so hard for about 5 minutes that my wipers couldn't cope nor could I see the road. Not in this pic though, this is Dornoch. Just after I took this pic two military jets came screaming low overhead and shattered the peace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190805_192440.jpg (37.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-05-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I too, am accounted for and sober!

I had a nice evening yesterday. Played with my cat and watched some TV before going to sleep. I've been having a little trouble sleeping lately and I'm not entirely sure why. I'm gonna try to monitor it and see if there's a trend.

I also had a really scary drinking dream that was so real I was SURE I had drank. I hate those.

Otherwise, work is work. Waking up to exercise is still feeling good. Just 20-30 minutes to get the blood pumping. It makes me feel like I have way more time in the morning, which is nice.

Ayers, that's really cool! If I ever get a house, I really want to be the type of person who gardens. So I'll remember the earth worm farm.

Last edited by dpac414; 08-05-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: earthworms!
Old 08-05-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

Yep, Me too, tired and sober and ready for an early night. It’s a strange sky at the moment, black, grey, orange and a hint of blue!

Saou, lovely photo. There’s a lot of forces in training in Scotland I think. My sister and bil was on holiday and walking along minding their business and their dog was barking constantly at seemingly nothing. When the field they were passing moved and all these soldiers stood up!

Dpac, I used to have drinking dreams and yeah they were so real I wasn’t sure if I had drank! Then i gathered my thoughts with a huge relief. They do get less though...hope you sleep ok tonight.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Earthworms, I think, are also called night crawlers in the US.

It’s getting warm in this part of the world, even though officially we still have a whole month of winter left. Means saying good bye to the daily ritual of lighting the wood stove at night and being amazed at how, with a little care, one can light and maintain a fire right in the living room, without setting the house alight.

Hope everyone survived Monday and wishing each of you the best for the week
ahead, whether at work or spending restful (as it should be) time on vacation!

Sao, I’m a devout pacifist, but if there’s one thing I don’t mind shattering the peace, it’s the roar of a fighter jet!
Old 08-05-2019, 01:21 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
How is the show Stranger Things Andyh? My wife want's me to start watching it with her.
I'm rather enjoying it - I'm only on season 1 from 2-3 years ago at the moment - but it's one of the better things I've watched lately.