Notices

Guilty Pleasures - Why Guilty? Weekenders 02 - 05 August 2019

Old 08-02-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vinny good pic, I didn’t realise there were so many mountains in Ireland .

Mesa love the soundtrack from secret of roan inish, seem to have heard it before but not sure when or where. It sounds like you’ve got the work and relaxing thing just right!

Bim, I love the silver back...he looks so grand . I’ve never tried peanut butter yet but sounds good with berries.

I remember when my Friday tea times were filled with how much booze I could get down my neck until I passed out, rinse and repeat. So pleased I got my weekends back.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Sao, "VIP," Woodland Park Zoos's older silverback gorilla had emergency hernia surgery a couple years ago. He had a bit of a rough go of it, but he's almost good as new. His girls love him. This blog post is from last September:

https://blog.zoo.org/2018/09/silverb...ack-after.html
7 daughters! I would want to be kept seperate from my family too. No wonder he is turning silver. I know that when you're a bit older, recovering fully takes that bit longer than when you are a twenty something.

It reminds me a bit of when I was trying to learn the Waltz, each lesson it would be two steps forward and one step backwards.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

the wonderful Film 'The Secret Of Roan Inish'
- saw that film at the cinema years ago - memorable.
Thanks for that link, MesaMan
Old 08-02-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders - may I join you for another weekend of sobriety please? I have very much enjoyed following the previous thread this week.

Thanks Mags for the OP. I loved Willow's Pooh quote when I first read it - we can all learn from bear like contemplation of the world and the occasional pursuit of honey (or cake in my case...)

But more seriously, there's another active thread here on alcohol and employment which makes interesting reading. I can certainly relate... Over the last few moths I have done quite a bit of work with my various therapists on getting my work / rest / play balance right.

In the past I have tended to over do things and once alcohol became involved my life did indeed in AA terms 'become unmanageable'. It's encouraging that the best employers these days encourage sensible work hours unlike the dog-eat-dog world of the early noughties when I was starting out..

So, today was spent phoning and emailing, swimming, resting, cooking, eating and now in the cool of the evening focussing on work with regained clarity and vigour. And to top it all there was half-price cake to be had at the store today - definitely a guilty pleasure...

Anyway, I'm rambling again... Best wishes to all for a happy weekend. Forwards.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Checking in for the evening. I hope everyone is having a lovely Friday/Saturday.

I don’t have to go to the zoo tomorrow til noon and I’m not sure what I’m gonna do with all that time in the morning, haha. Sleep a little, hopefully.

Normally id use a night like this as an excuse to get blasted, since I didn’t have to be up early and could sit in the shower for an hour trying to beat the hangover out of me. I can’t believe I did that all the time. I never want to feel so terrible again.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your posts as always. Nothing beats a relaxing sober Friday night.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Off to bed. Crickets and frogs here on the farm are singing me a lovely lullaby. . .

Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Love the posts, pics, dog tales and gorillas.

Good luck with the hernia op Sao.
Here's an idea..

Still got a cold unless it is hay fever ~ been sneezing, sniffling, itchy throat for over a week.

Thankfully sober ~ was 9 months on 1st Aug

A guilty pleasure for me is a takeaway, so much guilt in fact that I really struggle to actually indulge. I don't know why. Think maybe ingrained from childhood where eating out or takeaways were a definite no! My Dad never believed in treats in any form. Still doesn't.

What I do is make my selections of takeaway food online, put it in the basket get as far as "pay now" then I back out even though I really want it. I quickly make dinner to avoid further the temptation. Its quite a regular thing, did it again yesterday. I annoy myself in my inability to just buy and enjoy it.

I actually my history on the app and I have only ordered food 3 times this year. Goodness knows how many times I have filled my basket though.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good morning weekenders, I hope everyone made it thru Friday night unscathed. My Saturday mornings used to involve collosal hangivers, regrets and wasted money. Booze would mess everthing up - then I would do it again on Saturday night. I really hated myself when I was drinking.

Close to where I live is party town. The council send out a clean-up squad each morning to clear up the mess. It looks like they are running late today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190803_071921.jpg (38.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:17 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

That's a sobering picture (no pun intended) Saoutchik. I loved your comment about learning to waltz!. Might have to nick that. Enjoyed also all the Irish music and picture references on this thread.

I have some difficulty relaxing. If I'm doing nothing I feel guilty without it being a pleasure. Ironically, in the bad old days I never felt guilty about sitting around drinking which is ridiculous, although now I think about it seriously, that wasn't actually a pleasure either!

Might have to stick to indulging in marzipan chocolate/cake. Marzipan is definitely a guilty pleasure.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Kaily! Congrats on nine months! That's when I really started to feel the lowered anxiety and to understand the long-term benefits.

I say treat yourself with takeaway! Those old stories from mom, dad, grandparents, I have them too. I think they meant well, I just took it to extremes (as I am wont to do.) I am much more forgiving of their human foibles these days. God knows I have enough of those to worry about myself.

I'm here for my Sober Saturday Weekenders, "meeting." It's 5AM here. Not drinking has never been a bad decision, especially in the mornings. I'm really grateful you all share bits of your sober life in this thread.

I ate so many blackberries yesterday that I hit 60g of fiber. Yikes. I also now need to go pick more.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Take some TP and locate a private poison ivy free area bim

Those berries may have their revenge for being eaten otherwise . . .
Old 08-03-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Weirdly I have never gotten poison ivy, despite lots of outdoor time. Now, nettles...

Yesterday I wore heavy denim pants, old sneakers, a hat, and a nylon jacket. Not one scratch/thorn-gouge/bee sting/spider bite OR ruined shoes from blackberries. I also take a long wire coat hanger bent open with a crook at one end so I can "fish" in the out-of-reach vines with the juicy berries that the deer, bunnies, ducks, coyotes, and raccoons can't get to.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

The use of tools isn't what distinguishes Homo sapiens sapiens, but we did come up with the incredible multi-purpose coat hanger.

📎 Plus this handy item. Happy picking!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I Love Marzipan! It's the only reason I buy fruitcake at Christmas time!

Congrats on 9 months Kaily, well done.

I wonder how long the parties would continue if the council decided to stop cleaning up.

I've talked myself into buying a bandsaw today. I've had my eye on one for some time now. I have a small one, but now I need a bigger one and I certainly have the sober savings.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

yesterday i wore heavy denim pants, old sneakers, a hat, and a nylon jacket. Not one scratch/thorn-gouge/bee sting/spider bite or ruined shoes from blackberries. I also take a long wire coat hanger bent open with a crook at one end so i can "fish" in the out-of-reach vines with the juicy berries that the deer, bunnies, ducks, coyotes, and raccoons can't get to.
What a picture you paint...

Sounds like a serious business this berry picking. You can never be over dressed or under prepared for any occasion.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Mr

Be careful with that bent open coat hanger Bim in the vicinity of local law enforcement or otherwise this could be the conversation :

PD; where are you going with that clothes hanger Mam you wouldn't be stealing cars.. ?

Bim; no only blackberries down near the zoo

PD; so you're breaking into cars to steal smart phones Mam in the zoo.. ?

Bim; no no blackberries on bushes to eat them.

PD; I'll ask you again Mam what you doing with that there bent open clothes hanger with a hook on the end...?

Bim; oh man I have a very low tolerance for bull****..

TBC
Old 08-03-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Kaily that's a good idea about getting the surgeon to leave the sponge in there and suing although with my luck he or she would probably leave the scapel in there too.

I concur Dragon - when it comes to band saws, bigger is better as it gives you more room.

Originally Posted by Rose335 View Post
That's a sobering picture (no pun intended) Saoutchik. I loved your comment about learning to waltz!. Might have to nick that.
LOL! Feel free Rose, I stole it from an ancient comedian named Barry Cryer.

I have managed to get a hotel in Scotland but it's a chain hotel in Inverness which is not really what I wanted but the best that I could do at such short notice. My boss at work got it for me as it's the ones he uses which are pricier than the hotels I stay in. On the plus side I can pay for it with the firm's card and reimburse them later and get some tax back.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Vman

Kailey, it is srs business. Blackberries = free food.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I enjoyed your well written post Forwards.

Congrats on 9 months Kaily. I agree, jump in and complete that takeaway order!

All the best for your op Sao. I imagine that street scene gave rise to quite a few hangovers.

Bim, I’m mighty impressed. Braving bee stings, spider bites, thorns and arrest tells me those berries are juicy and sweet.

Vman enjoy your vacation. It seems that the fresh mountain air is doing you the world of good.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Greetings, all.

Lots of stressful times here but drinking is NOT an option or a desire, thankfully and blessedly.

Lots of love to all.