Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Excuses, it’s sunny, Excuses, I’m sad, Excuses and more Excuses! Weekenders 14 - 17 June 2019

Notices

Excuses, it’s sunny, Excuses, I’m sad, Excuses and more Excuses! Weekenders 14 - 17 June 2019

Old 06-14-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Mosquitoes and hot dogs lol. You’ll have a lot of fun AL, I am sure of it! If there was only one mosquito left on the planet that little **** would seek me out. I am quite allergic to their bites and swell up massively.

Second batch of food done and portioned out for freezing so this one is Chickpea and sweet cabbage with turmeric and coconut milk.

So, gonna have a cup of tea and a cigarette and start the next dish which is gonna be an English type vegetable stew with pearl barley. x
Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Happy Friday. So nice to read all the posts of healthy sober folks planning normal weekend stuff. I'm not there yet, but looking forward to it once my world straightens out (correction: Once I straighten my world out).
For today I'll be happy to be sober and capable and worthy of getting done the things that I can!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

One day at a time MovingForward and the most important day is always today! Make yourself proud of you and what you achieve today, the days rack up slowly but surely. You can do this! x

Last meal of the day in the slow cooker, Red Potato, Leak, Carrot, Garden Pea and Pearl Barley in chicken stock, sage and thyme. x
Old 06-14-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

In early days if I went to bed sober it was a successful day. I tried to eat well and take a walk, post in my Gratitude journal and in my "Class Of" thread here on SR, and for the first few months I went to one AA meeting per day, but anything and everything else was delegated to not-very-important.

Early days are tough.

Has anyone ever had a casual acquaintance give them a whole bunch of gifts for a special occasion but you felt it was too much? I had that happen yesterday and don't know how to feel about it. (Same gender, she's married, etc. so it's not that.) I love the gifts, it isn't that they're inappropriate in themselves, just expensive and I can't really reciprocate plus it was so unexpected.

I know, I'm grateful and I thanked her graciously. But, you know...it's just uncomfortable.

...and cue another gifting discussion...help!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

MovingForward it can be you to planning normal weekend stuff, for the rest of your life. Sobriety is a club that is free to join and open to anyone. You just have to want it enough. I hope you do.

Bim switch it around, if you gave someone a gift would you expect it reciprocated or would you take pleasure in giving? People only give what they want and often it is a way to express gratitude where words fail. Enjoy!

Manta you are making me far too hungry!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Thanks Kaily - I'll get there, I know I will. For now I'm happy to be sober (27 days!). I can work on normal weekend stuff after I tackle rehab, homelessness, joblessness, being broke, etc. First things first right?

I want this and will keep it up. Thanks for the support!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
New beginnings, the lion, tiger and bear, are these three animals being rescued from illegal keepers, they’ve lived together all their life and still continue to.

https://youtu.be/dcs-H5p-MYw
Very cool!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MovingForward1 View Post
Thanks Kaily - I'll get there, I know I will.
I know you will too.

Mags BLT are just gorgeous.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I think the gifts have been bought you out of her liking you as a person, you perhaps brightened her day without realising it. I’m sure she wouldn’t dream of you reciprocating it. If you want to do something, how about a ‘thank you card’?

Manta, your kitchen must smell wonderful with all the cooking today.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Mags beat me to it, I was going to say a Thank You card . You could probably make a light hearted joke about the gifts being above your pay grade or something too.

I have been publicly denounced at work for not letting people get on with their jobs. All true. What I didn't mention when I was meddling was that I have decided to take next week off of work so if they do miss a deadline or make a mistake while i'm away they can guess that I would never let them hear the end of it. I normally go to Le Mans at this time for the 24hrs race but there was not enough interest this year. Hopefully I can find somewhere to visit at short notice.

A week off. Bliss!
Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Night all x
Old 06-14-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Mags, I’m in. My weekend plans are working tomorrow then il take the family out for the on Sunday. Father’s Day which will be the last one with just one child! And one of the last weekends just the 3 of us.

Happy sober weekend all!
Old 06-14-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Night all. Have a great Saturday!

https://youtu.be/wnMyA5Zzfv0

Old 06-14-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
It took me a very long time to find a reason not to drink. I had gone way beyond needing excuses., It was just what I did, it became me.

Still struggle not to return to that default setting at times but with inner strength and support from all of you, I hopefully never will.
^^^ this...definitely.

It wasn't until I quit for any great length of time that I saw some things tugged at me harder than othefrs. In fact it came to my surprise that "the good times" (aka sunny weather, holidays, parties) pulled at me far more than the "bad".

Now, with the sunny weather and everyone and their mother out having fun, I'm desperate to find ways to "counter" this. Some might argue that "countering" it is not even the right perspective but that proves my point...I'm not sure what to do.

I'm approaching my record in a couple of weeks. I relapsed June 28th last year after exactly 5 months and 28 days. So believe me when I tell you I'm in.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

Pete, you and your family must be so excited on the upcoming new arrival.

Water Ox, good to see you, I didn’t think you could have fun without booze, but I and many here will say how much better it is, sober and a bonus is, you can remember your fun too!

Saou, have a good week off, I liked the song and the video. I’ve heard that song for years but never seen who sang it!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Mags you know what, now my head is starting to clear, I can say yes I am excited. But as I’ve spent her entire pregnancy a drunk mess all I have been feeling up until now was anxiety and worry. So glad to be on the right path again!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

Pete I’m pleased your head is clearing. Stick with it and keep close, especially when the going gets tough. Great support here. ’s
Old 06-14-2019, 10:43 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh Mags I will do don’t you worry! 2 hours until I’m meant to be at work. Going to do a small shop for dinner tonight (crispy duck!) then head to work early and set up. I’m sure the boss will be impressed!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.
Welcome to the weekender anybody who has just joined in.

You will manage to straighten your world out movingforwards.

It took me alot of years trying to control my drinking and it came to a head with hospitalisation at the end of 2018. Never give up because it just happens in the end...

Agenda for today is paint the garage weather permitting.

Happy Hols Sao !

Bonne journée
Old 06-14-2019, 11:04 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Morning all

Good video/music Sao, struck me as a bit of a love triangle ~ or I might be spending too much time watching Love Island and developing a very warped view!

Yes Water Ox as we begin to heal, we get AV attacks looking for any little way back into our lives. Good, bad or ugly. It is a constant worry to me a that I will have a moment of weakness and reopen the floodgates to years more addiction. Gotta stay vigilant all the time. I had an hour long conversation with my AV the other day whilst stuck in traffic, about how wonderful a drink would be. It is like a politician that tells bare faced lies in such a truthful convincing way or a worm niggling into your brain.