Notices

Class of May 2019 Part One

Old 05-05-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Thanks Caprice,
glad you had a good night kgirl.

So I had a whole list of jobs to do today and getting through them pretty well. feel like I've more energy than I've had in weeks though it's only day 2. Getting a headache starting now though so will rest.

I'm with you Strawberry -I've been getting to 6/8 weeks and then drink. Not sure about 6 months tho -I've got to think of this thing forever.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
Just got home from work , my boss offere me a beer when I finished, I had a fight in my head and said no thanks and took a coke .

I always get to around 2 an half months and slip , I'm aiming for 6 months !
It must have been hard saying no to the beer, but I bet the fact that you did feels great now.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Day 9. I have been sleeping so well lately. It seems like I am catching up for a months worth. Alcohol disrupts natural sleep so if I am drinking on a daily basis, I am not really getting proper rest at any point. No wonder I am miserable all the time. 9 days sober and my mood is great. Sleep is playing a big role in that.

Nicest day of the year so far here in Toronto. Caprice can attest to that but I know she is inside watching the basketball game. As am I.

Have a good day class!
Old 05-05-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Day 2 coming to a close.

hope your walk went well Caprice - I would also find that very annoying and intrusive and would have to walk away. some people don't understand boundaries. Maybe the person is lonely or something but still too intrusive.

Canuck -reading of your good sleep is great. I'm lookimg forward to having the same very soon

So just off to watch the final episode of Line of Duty. Any of us in the UK will probably know how exciting this is

Good night all
RAL
Old 05-05-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

checking in...how is everyone doing? It's Sunday afternoon and I've had a productive day....so much better than sitting on the couch nursing a hangover.
Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Nice day here. Wish I could get out for some yardwork but I'm not up for it yet.

Canuck good to hear your sleep has evened out.

Meetings with the lawyer and banks this week. I was hoping to get back to PA for a few days but will probably just stay here instead. I hope to get out for walks though.

Wishing all a peaceful sober day.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:41 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

we got ourselves a series

Originally Posted by Canuck76 View Post
Day 9. I have been sleeping so well lately. It seems like I am catching up for a months worth. Alcohol disrupts natural sleep so if I am drinking on a daily basis, I am not really getting proper rest at any point. No wonder I am miserable all the time. 9 days sober and my mood is great. Sleep is playing a big role in that.

Nicest day of the year so far here in Toronto. Caprice can attest to that but I know she is inside watching the basketball game. As am I.

Have a good day class!
we got back at 4:00....what a crazy game. 😥

Siakam played through the pain, incredible.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi Class of May 2019!!!

I’m part of the very aMayzing class of May 2018.

You all are in the right place, welcome to SR or welcome back, whichever the case might be.

Decide to quit, then learn to stay quit (that’s the hard part).

It’s getting easier and easier, and I actually missed my 11 month anniversary last month because I was so busy actually living my life instead of thinking about my next drink. I can hardly believe it myself!

I think quitting alcohol was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I spent the first month basically in bed. I hated myself, I cried, I thought about alcohol every second of every day and during the night when I couldn’t sleep for that first two weeks. But I also forgave myself. And I found virtual friends here and support.

I didn’t have a good relationship and I wasn’t sure because I wasn’t thinking straight. The people helped me with that too, giving of themselves with their time —volunteers— just like the administrators here.

All of your posts help other people. So read a lot here and post a lot here. I posted here several times a day my first six months.

Again, welcome! You all can do this and become support to the class of May 2020 next year 😍

If you’re having trouble navigating the site, you can reach out to any of the administrators or look under the forums for technical questions on how to post pictures, or to look at different forums.

I’ll be checking back periodically To lend support, or feel free to personal message me through this site.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

"I would also find that very annoying and intrusive and would have to walk away. some people don't understand boundaries. Maybe the person is lonely or something but still too intrusive."

Yes, she's admittedly lonely, but it's no excuse lol. Thing is when I drank, it was more tolerable. Today we went to a different park, gorgeous sunny day, finally.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
You've also succeeded before, focus on that instead. 3 years is amazing, how d'you do it?
I did it one day at a time. One moment at time some nights​​​. Just starting again. First step is always the hardest!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kgirl

Good for you on refusing that beer strawberry

If you’re having trouble navigating the site, you can reach out to any of the administrators or look under the forums for technical questions on how to post pictures, or to look at different forums.
absolutely. Let me know if there's anything I can help with guys

D
Old 05-05-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

well for those of you that remember, i was having some conflict about how i was going to break it to the other couple that we are vacationing with in a few weeks that i dont plan on drinking any more.
well we met up with them for a cookout tonight and was offered a drink.
I refused (which i never do) and it did raise some questions but i told them i needed to back off for a bit and that i felt i have been over-doing it a little too much lately.
besides we had the kids with us and i needed to drive everybody home.
nothing much more was said after that .
i know it wont be as easy while at the resort..... but maybe at least i have planted the idea in their head that i dont need to drink to be a good time.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Tater - you won't let them know ahead of time? In any case, I hope they will continue to be supportive or at the very least let you be yourselves with them.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just wanted to post one more time to finish off the weekend.

Strawberry, I too want to make it to 6 months, but not as an end goal, but I hope to feel what I've heard others say about that general time frame. I keep getting to 2-3 months and then not going on to 6 months. 20 years ago, I did 5 years sober, but in a far different frame of mind. I was mad all the time because I was young and didn't want to stop. Did for heart problems. Anyway, I think if I can get to 6 months now, after everything I've learned and experienced, I can make it a lifetime move. I've actually done a lot of thinking about why so many of us think we've cured ourselves after a couple of months of sobriety. It must be because so much changes physically in our body, that we figure it must be the same in our brain as well. It's just not. I don't know why, it's just not, and I think I've finally convinced myself of that. Sitting in the club last night, I was fine, even enjoying myself. But I know down the road, my mind is going to play tricks with me, making me think anything, if it will get me to a drink. Hence, I'm hoping that this kind of stuff will mostly be gone by 6 months.

Sorry for rambling.

Have a great week everyone!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bob fro me it was all about building a sober life I loved. If you don;t want to escape your life (or risk it) it's a lot easier to stay sober.

I'd agree I changed as well. Alcohol had darkly coloured my mind and it was a revelation for me to rediscover a me I'd forgotten about.

D
Old 05-05-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Wow bob, you made it FIVE YEARS!!! That’s aMayzing!!

Good for you tater, it’s weird at first. I hid from social stuff for about the first month ( after I was quit almost 3 weeks and my boyfriend came over and offered me wine on May 18 of last year and I took of it 😩&#128542. So for a month after that I asked him not to drink around me and I did not go to any venues that had alcohol.

My first alcohol type event was Fourth of July so I had been quit about six weeks and I was stuck on a boat on Lake Michigan with everyone getting absolutely wasted. And I kept thinking ahead of time how am I going to tell these people that I don’t drink? Well, unfortunately, my boyfriend gave them a “heads up“ ahead of time and that’s why I was never offered a drink. I don’t think that was his place I think it’s mine to handle.

Anyway 1100 miles away and that boyfriend/alcoholic out of my life, I’m doing much better and seem to be attracting people who are sober or drinking normally.

I do know what you mean as far as thinking that we are “cured“ because our brain tricks us. My sister quit last year with me and she went back to it about six weeks ago and she is very sorry. She said it was horrible and she went right back to where she was. Like that old adage, “one drink is too many and 1000 is not enough“ could not be more true

To another sober day.....
Old 05-06-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Morning all

Great news you had a good walk Caprice

tater - Ive usually found after an initial 'oh really' most people really aren;t that interested or bothered if I'm drinking or not. Many even say 'oh that's good as you always tend to overdo it' !!

Strawberry - I get what you mean now about the 6 months. I thnk if I got to 6 months again I'd stay sober.

Bank holiday here in the UK today so no work. Day 3 for me and I slept for 10 hours but feel like I've been beaten up. My head is banging and my back is sore. Probably from all the outdoor work I did yesterday that my body isn't used to

Anyway, hope everyone has a good day.
RAL
Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
"I would also find that very annoying and intrusive and would have to walk away. some people don't understand boundaries. Maybe the person is lonely or something but still too intrusive."

Yes, she's admittedly lonely, but it's no excuse lol. Thing is when I drank, it was more tolerable. Today we went to a different park, gorgeous sunny day, finally.
A good move to find a new place, especially as change is what we are all looking for with this.
Great to hear that the weather is good there. A bit of sun makes all the difference!
Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Hi all. Just wanted to post one more time to finish off the weekend.

Strawberry, I too want to make it to 6 months, but not as an end goal, but I hope to feel what I've heard others say about that general time frame. I keep getting to 2-3 months and then not going on to 6 months. 20 years ago, I did 5 years sober, but in a far different frame of mind. I was mad all the time because I was young and didn't want to stop. Did for heart problems. Anyway, I think if I can get to 6 months now, after everything I've learned and experienced, I can make it a lifetime move. I've actually done a lot of thinking about why so many of us think we've cured ourselves after a couple of months of sobriety. It must be because so much changes physically in our body, that we figure it must be the same in our brain as well. It's just not. I don't know why, it's just not, and I think I've finally convinced myself of that. Sitting in the club last night, I was fine, even enjoying myself. But I know down the road, my mind is going to play tricks with me, making me think anything, if it will get me to a drink. Hence, I'm hoping that this kind of stuff will mostly be gone by 6 months.

Sorry for rambling.

Have a great week everyone!
I've never made it to 6 months, 4 is my record. I hear what you're saying. I too feel that if I can give up drink for a couple of months and if I can even be out in a club with people who are drunk and I still have a good time, then I must be "cured". I'm still working on convincing myself that I'm not "cured". It helps so much to know I'm not the only one who has this exact same battle.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
Nice day here. Wish I could get out for some yardwork but I'm not up for it yet.

Canuck good to hear your sleep has evened out.

Meetings with the lawyer and banks this week. I was hoping to get back to PA for a few days but will probably just stay here instead. I hope to get out for walks though.

Wishing all a peaceful sober day.
I'm so sorry about your mother, Pelagic.