Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Notices

“Seriously, you want to stop?” -Weekender thread 26 - 29 April 2019

Old 04-25-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Caprice, I don't know if you're female, but the teeter-totter back-and-forth between food problems and alcohol problems is a really common thing women get stuck in. I had a lot of food problems in the past. In my case I feel like alcohol just intensified my anxiety, depression, compulsions, and obsessive thinking about not only food, but everything.

With sober time I've learned to manage my food very well and my mind is clear and I'm able to let go of anxious spinning thoughts much more easily. Stick with it and give it time - like several months - I think you'll find your anxiety and compulsive thinking will get a lot better. . .if you work at it. Again though - a lot of this is biology and healing of the nervous system/body.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Caprice, it is hard at first. But further down the line, give it time and it will feel normal....not to drink.
Finding something to do with the time you spent drinking is a good idea. For a few months I did the same but without a glass of alcohol in my hand. It’s good to change tactics. Keep your mind busy..
Absolutely agree, am on my way to my meeting.
just reread some statements I made of not being able to count calories, go on a diet, smoke, drink - you know all those fun things?

oh oh crazy lady on the bus...I shouldn't find it funny...she just called me a bitch that doesn't like her but she don't care...she can't stop talking crazy. sad.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

WELCOME Caprice
Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I must learn to talk clearly.... just ordered myself a lime and soda.... barman pours a white wine and asks soda or lemonade?
I took a deep breath.... and tried asked again for lime and soda.... now AV is well and truly awake...
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

All Hail Sober Schnooze!

Man, I woke up feeling like a Million Bucks! Of course, that's an imaginary comparison to something I don't have, but we'll run with it, eh? We are getting $360- back from a State Income Tax Over-Payment, so I'll take it!

I'm ticking items off my To-Do List before we launch for the CA Coast and a ~5 Week Trailer Trip. Slam in a new Radio/DVD/Entertainment Center cuz the Factory one pooped the Bed. Put on 4 new, beefier Tires tomorrow. As part of my Anti-Procrastination Initiative, I'm ordering lil things we've needed to camp in order to not cram for any last minute necessities. Sober Adulthood.

In many hours on-line, I nailed down some RV Site Reservations yesterday; including a Boondocking stretch Off-Grid on the Beach South of Santa Cruz. A challenge during peak Summer Tourism.

~ New Brighton State Beach ~ Aptos CA ~

A Pismo Beach stop precedes New Brighton Beach. Then, it's on up to our '70s Honeymoon Town of Bodega Bay CA; home of Alfred Hitchcock's Film The Birds. Love it up there! We stayed in a real dump of a Motel there Decades ago, so some new Selfies by that same Joint will be in order. The *Honeymoon Suite* was in the base of a fake Windmill. Taste was no object. We might kick off this Trip with Pals over a long Weekend in Moab Utah. I just put Solar Panels on his Truck Camper, so they can live The Good Life in The Hinterlands as we like to. My quiet, lightweight Generator runs MesaMate's Hair Dryer, so all the critical power contingencies are covered!

While digging in a new Address/Gate Opener Post on our very long Driveway, the neighboring Cows seen below provided a valuable message: when the going gets tough, nosh on something, and just chill.

A special welcome to Obladi whose steadfast dedication we all admire, and to Caprice6. This Sobriety Gig does get easier, and wonderfully-familiar over time. The New Normal. I've led a charmed life, and The Universe dealt me a hard-fought Sober Hand that I won't be mucking up under any circumstances. A previously-unimaginable alteration for me over time was to not 'miss' Drinking because you can't lust after something you simply don't want anymore. What my Sig Line below is all about...

My fav Song right now from an interesting Int'l collaboration. Plasters a smile on my Face w/o fail...

~ Sertao Blues ~ Slovo ~

~ Slovo ~ Wikipedia ~

Old 04-25-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you Mags and everyone else for this inspiring post.

I’m in for a sober weekend!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Caprice! As others have said on this thread but it bears repeating, it really does get easier in time. You don't notice it becoming easier until after it happens as it is a gradual thing.

Good to see you Obladi and BlueWellies.

Very busy day today. I was expecting to have to do a presentation but it turned out to be a lot less formal than that. Is was more of case of answering a few questions really.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Man, I woke up feeling like a Million Bucks
Many many years ago as a kid I can remember reading in a British newspaper a caption/quote from Elizabeth Taylor saying "I feel like a million dollars" (presumably she had just got engaged or divorced or something) The newspaper in question then, very helpfully, gave the £ Sterling equivalent of a million dollars in brackets after the quote. It struck me as hilarious.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Obladi Hi BlueWellies
Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Since it is early Saturday now in OZ/NZ, a belated Happy ANZAC Day to our Australian and New Zealand members, though I'm sure celebrations will last through the weekend.

Swimming and (sober) barbeques on tap this weekend. It's getting toasty here in the Valley of the Sun; we'll likely see our first 100F (38C) day of the season tomorrow. When I was drinking, I hated our summers; there was nothing worse than waking up in withdrawal, sweaty and shaking, with a splitting headache, then opening the door and walking out into a blast furnace. Now I love it. Best of luck to everyone working on sobriety this weekend, and prayers to all that are struggling.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Thank you for the new thread, Mags.

Welcome to new members.

My online gigs somewhat stalled, so I am finishing two shifts at my temporary agency. I am working at the clothes store tomorrow and on Sunday.

It sucks, honestly.

Anyway, sucking days are temporary, sobriety rocks permanently.

See you.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you DesertDawg, how's it going?

A belated Happy Anzac Day from me too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190425_141448.jpg (31.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Since it is early Saturday now in OZ/NZ, a belated Happy ANZAC Day to our Australian and New Zealand members, though I'm sure celebrations will last through the weekend.
it's not Saturday there quite yet, I don't think even being upside down allows them to get more than a day ahead.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day

Australians and New Zealanders recognise 25 April as a ceremonial occasion to reflect on the cost of war and to remember those who fought and lost their lives for their country.
A day of solemn remembrance.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

ANZAC day has become as cultural an event just as much as a memorial of pointless death. Young men being sent to the further corners of the world, just to be mowed down in relentless machinegun strafing. A turning point in identity of a 'new' country - that redefined Australia (as a nation, that still has many probs with first Aussies) and it's relationship with Britain. Many signed up for a big adventure, many because we were 'British'. Yet the carnage that ensued (and epitomized many battles in WW1- such as 'going over the top') left a very bitter taste in the national's psyche. The first industrial war in history- with trains efficiently delivering supplies to front lines.....

This, plus the 'desertion' of Britain to it's 'Empire' responsibilities to Australia in WW2- especially with the seeming unstoppable tide of Japanese invasion (Darwin bombed etc) and the refusal of Britain to allow committed Australian troops in others arenas of war- to be sent to Pacific war hot spots (The Kokoda trail in New-G is an iconic story) led the Australian govt to turn to America with the pipe smoking General guy having a war HQ here, changed Australia's self image and future thinking...this also happened, to a lesser extent when Australia sent troops to Vietnam, because America did.

Australia is unique- in it's physical isolation to other continents/countries and it is along with New Zealand (thus 'Australian and New Zealand Army Cor = ANZAC)in the pacific region, in it's Western European influenced culture, as opposed to Asian/ Pacific countries origins.
ANZAC biscuits were sent to Aussie soldiers in war - and were made up of what ever families back home could make them from, given shortages of foods and rationing. Golden syrup was a big part of them.

Always been my fav's.

MesaM- I always enjoy your ramblings (traveling, not words). I think that cow had been trying to work out why there was a big metal circley thing in it's way- and it was looking at the cameraman for guidance.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Caprice, I don't know if you're female, but the teeter-totter back-and-forth between food problems and alcohol problems is a really common thing women get stuck in. I had a lot of food problems in the past. In my case I feel like alcohol just intensified my anxiety, depression, compulsions, and obsessive thinking about not only food, but everything.

With sober time I've learned to manage my food very well and my mind is clear and I'm able to let go of anxious spinning thoughts much more easily. Stick with it and give it time - like several months - I think you'll find your anxiety and compulsive thinking will get a lot better. . .if you work at it. Again though - a lot of this is biology and healing of the nervous system/body.
Yes, it happens, but I took it to a new level, I wouldn't drink at all, or very little every now and then, my ED controlled my life, a lot of planning, escaping social gatherings where food is involved (daily), hiding, making up excuses, isolation, I pushed everyone away, a lot counting and plotting went into it each day. The depression was different more downing/darker consistent due to it, enzymes out of whack. I ended up 3 months in the psychiatric ward, first 2 weeks I went nuts. The recovery is tough, not used to having food in your stomach or digested, the slowed down metabolism, then your worst nightmare - the inevitable weight gain. I was going crazy, then (after deemed fattened enough) I got privileges like being able to go to the physio gym/room for people in physical rehabilitation for 30 minutes each day. It helped some.
Then alcohol relieved me in a way. I didn't care as much, I didn't have to hide or feel ashamed (at first), it was socially acceptable, I didn't care about the calories, exercising and food after it started taking over my life instead....
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you Caprice , Dawg and anyone else joining the weekenders for the first time, or a long absence

D
Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Glad to hear your presentation wasn't as bad as you imagined it would be Sou. Are you getting the business?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Can’t wait for my productive but restful, sober weekend to start !
Old 04-25-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good morning Weekenders and a happy World Intellectual Property Rights Day.

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Glad to hear your presentation wasn't as bad as you imagined it would be Sou. Are you getting the business?
All this work is just to be allow the company I work for to join some others in a bid. It's a long slog.

There were lots of runners on the canal towpath this morning. The London Marathon is on Sunday, they have left it a bit late to start training.