Notices

Weekender Thread 15-18 February 2019

Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

STDragon ~

This Uke's for you!

Drove 45 Miles one-way yesterday to hit the mondobitchenfabulomoso Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. Really a treat! A temporary Exhibit on The Electric Guitar was our first stop there, and there are many well-organized Galleries to spend the Day at. Early Electric Guitar development was based on putting hand-made Pickups - like Telephone Mouthpieces - on items like Lap Steel Guitars.

Took dozens of Pix; including some of really wild Instruments - like the 'Wheeled Fiddle' - in other Galleries.

Boy, peak Afternoon Traffic around Phoenix is not something you'd want to tackle with a buzz on. In 2 prior Days in a different Retiree Town, 2 ancient Senior Citizens ran Red Lights, and almost cold-kocked my Truck. Read some subtle cues they were out-of-it; reacted; and avoided both potential wrecks.

Thanks Sobriety!

~ Musical Instrument Museum ~

Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Love reading decluttering stories - I am a minimalist fan myself.

Marty - Elton John concert! Wow! Enjoy!

I got the power bank, i really like how it turned out.

Still not sure where the relationships going, but I had fun getting the gift ready anyway. It's not about the outcome, it's about the moments.

See you)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

It is about the moments--the present moments MB. I'm noticing more and more that's all we really have, and all we really need. . .

Mesa, how about sharing a few more pics from the guitar display?

I'm a fan--crazy but I have over 20 electric guitars in my living room tastefully (to my mind) displayed on two giant guitar trees like you see in a music store.

That way I get to look at them, and can easily pick one up, tune, and play when the spirit takes me without having to drag a dusty case out from under a bed or in a closet.

Besides, I think they like being more a part of the family and in the action
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Mr

20+ guitars in the living room sounds pretty mad Hawkeye...

Very tired so I will wish you all goodnight and disconnect
Old 02-20-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Here ya be, Hawkeye ~

An Arch Top Epiphone that was electrified experimentally after the fact. Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits recently said he's getting into these older Models for their unique sound...

There were also Manufacturers that had their Day In The Sun, and are not much heard of anymore. Like, this Bigsby played by Tommy 'Butterball' Paige.

I didn't want to get kicked out, so I resisted the urge to reach over and touch Pete Townshend's Gibson Les Paul - labeled as #5 - that he used in the '70s. It notably had 2 very large Nuts doubled up to hold on his Guitar Strap during Stage antics. Like, the size of 50 Cent Coins. Video Cameras everywhere, and all that...
Old 02-20-2019, 07:45 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

That electric soprano uke must have steel strings? The MIM looks very interesting. Since giving one away, I now have three Ukes, Daughter has two and son has one, plus three guitars. And we leave them out around the house. There's always a few minutes here or there to pluck some strings while waiting for something or other. You know what they say about idle hands....
Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Magsie

STDragon, I bet it’s great in your home. Picking up your guitars and strumming out a tune, reminds me of when I was in Ireland.... I was sat in a pub and a group of people came in, sat down, the lady started singing and a guy played on a flute like instrument. Beautiful sounds they made.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, weekenders.

Hawkeye - Wow! I didn't know you play guitar and have such an impressive collection of instruments. SR friends never stop surprising me with talents and creativity.

Dragon - Quite a band you have at home)

Vinny - Hope you rested well.

Breakfast time for me)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, some great posts here, thanks.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, Sao)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

I studied music for many year- cello and piano. Sold the cello as soon as I got a license and bought an old '63 Beetle. Priorities of youth.....truth be told- I drove a car better than I played a cello.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
..truth be told- I drove a car better than I played a cello.
Wow, me, too!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:55 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Sober since October

I learned piano for 6 years - since I was 6 years old till 12, and hated it all the way. I had a bad luck with a teacher who was crying bloody murder every time I didn't perform as expected.

Back then I was a shy quiet girl and took it all too close to the heart. And I wasn't doing boxing either)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:08 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

You must have some very interesting an collectable guituars Hawkeye. Got any pics?

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
...Dragon - Quite a band you have at home
I wasn't very musically inclined until after I quit drinking..

I didn't mention, Mrs Dragon has two titano accordions. We have a piano and a violin (that no one can play). Son has a trombone from high school band and Daughter has a french horn. Plus there are various recorders, slide and train whitles, shakers, kazoos, a drembe drum, oh yea and a cow bell, can never get enough cow bell...

https://youtu.be/W9EZ2j8bFBI
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I learned piano for 6 years - since I was 6 years old till 12, and hated it all the way. I had a bad luck with a teacher who was crying bloody murder every time I didn't perform as expected.

Back then I was a shy quiet girl and took it all too close to the heart. And I wasn't doing boxing either)
We pushed our kids thru piano lessons, they only lasted about three years each....
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post

I didn't mention, Mrs Dragon has two titano accordions. We have a piano and a violin (that no one can play). Son has a trombone from high school band and Daughter has a french horn. Plus there are various recorders, slide and train whitles, shakers, kazoos, a drembe drum, oh yea and a cow bell, can never get enough cow bell...

https://youtu.be/W9EZ2j8bFBI
My bad, you don't have a band. You have an orchestra!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

lordy- uke's, accordion, kazoos, trumpets- musical lot..who enjoy music in life- good stuff
Old 02-21-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I was forced into piano lessons as a small kid. Hated it. Then violin, which I hated less. Started playing the trombone at about age 11, and stuck with it for 10 years. Loved playing that, and was pretty good at it. My son is very good on the guitar and has taught himself to play the organ my grandma loved to play and left him when she died. It's got two keyboards and the bass pedals and everything. My daughter plays the Uke.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I did voice, trumpet and piano lessons. Picked up the guitar by ear. Now I play the radio .
Old 02-21-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Magsie

I had saxophone lessons, as an adult, I haven’t kept them up though, my sax is in the attic. I couldn’t do it now if I wanted to, with Asthma. (Not enough puff, lol)