Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-26-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Back on the wagon after my mis-step on Saturday.

Strawberry, I really feel for you. I spent Sunday feeling miserable, and stuck indoors due to a November blizzard. More miserable because I had so easily given in to temptation, for no good reason. But here I am, with another day of sobriety, and added resolve to not let it happen again. I'm glad you're back with us, and let's do this together.

RAL, thanks for sharing that little bit of your history with us. I hope that we all get to know each other better and better as time goes by. It is amazing how our memories of all of the hardships that alcohol has caused us fades over time. It would certainly make this much easier if we could briefly relive the misery before we picked up that first drink.

Bonnie, your AV sounds pretty familiar. He's such a devious little POS, isn't he?

Welcome to all of our new classmates. Glad to have you.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone!

Primativo… So glad to have you with us! Fear of missing out sucks. I can totally relate.

Strawberry18… I’m so glad you reached out and I can so relate. This isn’t easy, that’s for sure. If only giving up alcohol would solve everything, right? It’s a tangled web. Hang overs are THE WORST. Alcohol keeps us in this prisonlike web. You know the way out! Don’t consume alcohol today and you will feel SO MUCH BETTER tomorrow! Sending love and strength.

Kaily… Damn strangers and their advice! LOL Gosh, stupid alcohol pushing is everywhere! Is there nowhere sacred? Cake, tea and a snoring dog sound so much better to be honest. I hope you feel proud and awesome! You did freaking AMAZING today! <3

Bonniefloyd… You are so funny! I really like what you said about how it doesn’t make sense that because we are handling being alcohol-free we no longer need to be alcohol-free. I SO GET THAT. Those darn thoughts come out of nowhere… making the bed, doing the dishes… geeeeeze. Love the vision of you sitting there sipping tea and tattling! ROFL

Themechanic… I love what you said to ClearPath about parenting. This has been my experience as well. Thank you so much for checking out the program! Are you in the US?

Robbie64… We’ve had SO MUCH RAIN this fall and then, just when I had hope, we got A TON OF SNOW! Sigh.

Drunkexpat… Wow! India? Your job sounds exciting :)

Jillian2563… Welcome! I’m so glad you are here!

sweetichick… You are so welcome! I get what you are saying about hot weather and alcohol. I put a bunch of glasses in the freezer and try to make my NA drinks feel special. Last night we had nachos while watching the Patriots and I found an NA recipe for margaritas. It did the trick, but the search is still on for the perfect recipe! LOL

OtterIsland… Great job!

strength4all… Welcome back! I’m glad you are here :)

TeeJayVerm… I think we’re in for a long, snowy winter here in New England :(

obosob… Great job!

Summer19… You are not alone. I’m glad you are here :)

RAL… Thank you for sharing your story!

ClearPath64… So glad you are still with us :)

I hope everyone has a really great day! :)
Old 11-26-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

First life bump came on Day 5.....of course!

So, they say live life on life’s terms.....and life threw a small curve ball.....last night my daughter, who has known exactly what she wants to do for a career and exactly where she wants to go to college told me the reason she’s been dragging out getting her college essay done isn’t because she’s having trouble writing it, but because she now is not sure what she wants to do or where she wants to go.

She has an 11 month love interest with whom she’s been friends for years. That person is going 2 hours away for college next year....and my child isn’t sure what she wants to do. Originally she was determined to go to X college, about 45 minutes from where we live. They are both high school seniors, smart, athletic and have a great life ahead each of them. And perhaps together in the future too....I could see it working out. They click that well.

I’ve given her my best advice - talk to people you know who have made these types of choices in life - two aunts have made similar choices when they were young. I said go talk to the guidance counselor, try to figure out what you want for a career. Her original choice would have required extensive seasonal travel. Now she thinks she doesn’t want to
travel so much. And she wants to raise a family. And her SO wants to own their own business.

Anyway, praying for her and for us that we can move through this. And that I don’t need to drink over this, in fact I need to be sober and available, just as I was last night at 9:45 when she broken down in my arms telling me how she feels. Not a time to be drunk for sure. Thanking God I am where I am with my sobriety.

-Otter
Old 11-26-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Clearpath — oh yeah, my AV is suck a POS, and he’s not even original. How are you feeling today? It sounds like you learned from your misstep and are ready to keep going.

welcome, strength4all!

strawberry — sorry you’re not feeling well. Mechanic’s idea is a really good one.

TJ — wow, that sounds like a lot of snow. One of these days I would like to see snow like that. It’s snowed in Houston before, a very rare event, but it never really blankets the ground. Last year we got a little, and my kids managed to scrape enough from hoods of cars to make a small snowman. Anyway, I agree with RAL’s snowman suggestion. Snow sounds like fun!

summer — I have started telling people that I no longer drink. One friend seemed disappointed, and another said, “good for you; I’ve been thinking about quitting too.” Anyway, if you’re not ready to tell the world yet, you can always make an excuse for not drinking, like you have to get up early or something. Most will probably not even notice anyway. (I drink Diet Coke instead of cocktails; for all people know, it could have rum in it.)

RAL — wow, thanks for sharing that story. It was really thought provoking. And a good reminder that not even prolonged abstinence will reset us.

otter — your daughter sounds like she has her head on right. And it’s awesome that you have chosen to be present and sober through this; she needs you! It’s going to work out for the best, whatever she chooses.

brrakfree — good morning! How are you today?

My bonniecentric post about my plans for today will have to wait until a certain little monster gets off to school. Have a fantastic day, everybody!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

Snow sounds like fun!

Wait.......what?!?! My 30 minute commute to work this morning looks to be shaping up to over an hour. I had to shovel a 10 X 10 square in the backyard this morning, in 20 degree temperatures, so my daughter's dogs, who I'm still watching because the streets were too bad for her to come get them yesterday, could go out and pee. The dachshund's legs are maybe two inches long, and there is 8 inches of snow out there.

Fun? Fun?
Old 11-26-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Wait.......what?!?! My 30 minute commute to work this morning looks to be shaping up to over an hour. I had to shovel a 10 X 10 square in the backyard this morning, in 20 degree temperatures, so my daughter's dogs, who I'm still watching because the streets were too bad for her to come get them yesterday, could go out and pee. The dachshund's legs are maybe two inches long, and there is 8 inches of snow out there.

Fun? Fun?
😂 Oh, that’s poor little dachshund! Okay, well maybe it’s not fun when you have to go to work and all. Here in Houston, snow = holiday from work and school. The whole city shuts down over a few flurries that barely stick to the ground.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I think I’m going to join this class. Was in the August class and will still post there but figured I’ve been struggling so I will join a new group.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Day 14.

Last night I was invited to join former coworkers at a happy hour this week, which I declined. I’m going to pass on any invite that opens with the words, “Let’s get our drink on!” 😏

Today’s plan:

Shopping for healthy food (I make better choices when I eat healthy)

Buying comfortable but dressy outfit and shoes for a party (I make better choices when my feet aren’t killing me)

Taking the pupster for a walk

Enjoying having everyone OUT of the house and back to work or school. Na na na na na na na na, hey hey hey, GOODBYE! 👋🏻

And NOT drinking! Who wants to join me on this one?

Have a wonderful day! 💚
Old 11-26-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

21 hours . It would be so tempting to down a beer right now to feel normal again.
What a waste of a day it's 4 pm and I've been in bed all day . Told husband I had a headache ( well mostly true) I must go outside and feed the farm now I would have normally done 20000 step by now but I've done 2000 no dog walks no nothing a waste of the day. Disappointed.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Checking in and hello to all.

CP - glad you hopped right back on that horse. It shows great resolve to recognize a slip for what it was and get right back on track.

Strawberry - so glad that you too came right back and posted. Your sober commitment will be stronger from this, and the good news is you don't ever have to feel like crap again. Keep posting and journaling too as reminders.

RAL - congrats on your 4 weeks and now almost 30 days. Thank you for sharing your story and experience.

Bonnie - you are too funny. You should consider writing if you haven't already or starting your own blog. And I'll join you today for not drinking.

BF - are you in the Boston area? I really love that city (except your sport franchises!).

Otherwise I'm plodding quietly along. I have two kids in college and they went back yesterday. I always get down when they leave, but they'll be back soon for winter break. We still have a 13 year-old at home to keep it interesting though. I see now that I spent too much time in the past immersed in their sports and lives at the expense of other things, namely my marriage and myself. Navigating who we are today and who I am without AL is the daily challenge.

For all you getting snow, please keep it your way! I'm in the DC area and we simply can't handle it here. Have a great day.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning, my November friends. I am looking forward to another sober Monday. They are having a wine tasting/training at work this afternoon. I will not be attending as it is not mandatory.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober day!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone.

Not much to report. I have been very tired after yesterdays escapades and still not sleeping well so I only took the dogs to the local park for a little run around.

I don't envy any of you with snow it makes everything so difficult especially if your a dachshund!

Still craving many times a day, I think it is something I need to learn to accept and live with if I am going to conquer this addiction.

Hope you are feeling a bit better now Strawberry...No beer.

Take care everyone x
Old 11-26-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

strawberry - hope your day improved and you get a good sleep tonight.

clearpath -great to see you again and hope the blizzrds get away soon.

Breakfree-hope your day went well

Otter - your daughter sounds very sensible and knows what she wants. I don't have adult children but from a personal perpsective I did a degree I hated and didn't do particularly well in it. I wish I had had the courage to go against my parents' wishes and do what I really wanted to do. My life would have been much different in a positive way.

Bonnie - I hope you had a good day. how old is junior bonnie? Junior RAL is 9!
I love your posts - they always make me smile, thank you Same here regadring snow. Our schools shut and everything seems to stop with just the threat of snow,not any actual flakes

Welcome MNS1 I remember you from August

Thanks Chaisson. Hope you enjoy the quiet whilst your older kids are at college.

Casey - good on you for skipping the work event.

Kaily -well done on gettign through another day.

Congrats to everyone for getting through another day.
Have a good day/evening everyone
Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Welcome MNS1 I remember you from August
Thanks RAL. I’m recommitting by joining a new class.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Hi Novembertonians! I hope all is well.

I had a change of plans today, mostly centered around my college kid. It wasn’t bad though; I complain about her, but today I enjoyed her company. We had lunch, I asked prying mom-questions even though I tried to restrain myself, and she patiently put up with it, giving answers that were probably edited for my benefit, which I greatly appreciate.

Not much else going on; I just wanted to see who’s checked in and say hi. (And maybe I’m procrastinating putting away laundry, which is the worst chore in the world.)

In other good news, I’ll be getting my laptop in a couple of days, for my anniversary/Christmas present. This means I’ll be able to type like a civilized person, instead of tapping at my iPhone like some barbarian.

Welcome, MNS! Glad to have you on board this wagon.

Strawberry, I hope that right now you are feeling better and getting a good night’s sleep. When you wake up in the morning, I bet you’ll feel so much better.

Chaisson — thank you for the kind words! And I totally know how you feel about the kids going off back to college. My oldest went back today, but she’s in the same city, so she keeps popping around and taking our food. I miss her until I realize my granola bars have disappeared. Anyway, I can relate to what you’re saying about become overly immersed in our kids’ lives. And I’ve realized (finally!) that we do them no favors by neglecting other areas of our lives. Oh well, it’s a process, isn’t it?

Casey ​​​​​​— sorry if you’ve mentioned this already, but are you in the restaurant business? I’m curious about the wine training at work. So glad it isn’t mandatory; that would be crazy.

Kaily — I’m glad you’re resting up after yesterday; you deserve it!

RAL — aw, thanks! Junior Bonnie is 8. I love this age, don’t you? Their little personalities are really taking formation.

Aaaaand, still procrastinating. I need to get up anyway; my puppy is trying to eat my hair. I’ll check in later!
Old 11-26-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

oh yes bonnie. it is a lovely age. I found 7 -8 quite challenging. he is becoming more independent in his thought processes now and dealing with his peers. sometime i wonder if he is growing up too quickly -bit like a stroppy teen at times. sure I've all that to come though
Old 11-26-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
17 hours past and feel terrible . I can't function at all .
I feel similarly... so frustrated with our big snowstorm last night that I didn't do my usual journaling and preparation yesterday... then I caved in.

We'll get there as we gain more self-awareness... in my case, resulting in feels of anxiety and guilt the next day and getting right back on the wagon!
Old 11-26-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

When I relapsed over the summer, I told myself it was because there is more of a draw to having a cold beverage when it's hot out and there are more outdoor events to drink at. But now that it's getting colder, my AV is starting to remind me of the warmth that a few glasses of whiskey can bring or of all the people congregating at bars.

The truth is, I'm an alcoholic looking for excuses to drink. The weather doesn't have anything to do with it. I am staying strong so far and haven't had many cravings recently. Boredom and depression? Sometimes, but it passes. Really determined to move on past this way of living, I don't want it to be who I am anymore. Proud of myself for getting closer and closer to two months.

Hope you are all doing well!
Old 11-26-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome mns

D
Old 11-26-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
TJ — wow, that sounds like a lot of snow. One of these days I would like to see snow like that. It’s snowed in Houston before, a very rare event, but it never really blankets the ground. Last year we got a little, and my kids managed to scrape enough from hoods of cars to make a small snowman. Anyway, I agree with RAL’s snowman suggestion. Snow sounds like fun!
My daughter goes to college in Arizona and her boyfriend said the same thing as he is flying to Chicago during their winter break. My advice... be careful what you wish for!