Notices

Halloween Weekender Thread 26-29 October 2018

Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by WolfsChild View Post
yea they do but its not so popular in the uk
but there are loads of tours around Edinburgh about ghosts
A few days ago I heard a Scottish woman call it "guizing" (short for disguising). Not sure if that was all or part of Scotland.

I have, on a whim, decided to decorate my bedroom, it is over 6 years since it was last done. I've not actually done anything, just made the decision.

5.30pm and it's dark outside.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
One if the fellows in my office has recenty starting using that product. You can smell it as you walk into the washroom. I've been trying to figure out who by process of elimination.
One of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson's most triumphant cases.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I've been thinking to post a couple of ideas for the title of this triumphant case, but I am afraid to get a reprimand from Dee.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hello!

Old 10-28-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and Happy Sunday. I hope it has been a good one.

I am nearing the end of the "new" Day 4 here and have been listening to a few podcasts on The Bubble Hour today all while contemplating my new plan for what I will do when the thoughts of the occasional drink come up. I have a journal where I have written down every hangover that I can ever remember (started doing this a few months ago) and some of the most prominent ones were on business trips. That book needs to be set out where I can see it and I need to read from it every single day.

I appreciate all of the comments from everyone here and will "see" you all here next weekend. I have a couple business trips this week coming up starting tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Thanks MB, I slept better than I have in ages

PJ I think the weather in SA is probably a lot nicer than QLD at the moment, it gets super humid up here in the summer and we’re feeling it already. I agree, I prefer the dry heat.

Bim this is great, thanks. I’ve copied it to remind myself
"Today I will notice my thoughts. They are creating, not just reflecting my life."
I have been really struggling with existential questions since Mum and Dad died and I keep wondering what’s the point of it all. I am still wondering and grieving. Grief is sometimes all consuming and swallows me up. I’m trying to stay on top of it but it keeps sucking me under. I try not to post when I’m really struggling as I don’t want to bring everyone down, but it’s when I’m feeling so incredibly sad that the AV tries to get a finger hold to creep in. I know it’s a process. I’m seeing my counsellor again this week which is good. I need to work through this pain somehow instead of just pushing it aside and pretending I’m ok.

But now it’s Monday morning here and more coffee is required, have a great week everyone
Old 10-28-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Willow - remember this is a support group so when you need support or are feeling down, you should definitely post. You won’t bring us down. Grief is indeed a process and it’s a different process for everyone. There is no set way it happens and there is no specific timeline. You never get over it, things are just different now and you need to get into whatever your new normal is or will be. Your counselor can help with that. You'll get through it.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

(((((Willow)))))
Old 10-28-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Willow for me the point about life is to live it - and try and leave a footprint or two behind, or elave the world a better place, in however small a way, than how we found it

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I've been thinking to post a couple of ideas for the title of this triumphant case, but I am afraid to get a reprimand from Dee.
Thanks MB

I think we can use this space for betterer things than discussing poo herbs, yeah?

D
Old 10-28-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm in too.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
...I try not to post when I’m really struggling as I don’t want to bring everyone down, but it’s when I’m feeling so incredibly sad that the AV tries to get a finger hold to creep in...
This is when you should be posting. We are all here to support each other.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

So I had a good Sunday. First really productive day in a long time. Changed the oil in both cars and put winter tires on the Dart. I hope I can stay this motivated all week, I've left a lot of things that need to be done before the snow really flies.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
OX

Thanks for being here everyone. Enjoying reading thoughts plans and happenings.
Getting ready for the week. Bit tired today. Planted some peonies between the rain showers with mrs and the kitten. Kitten was darting back and forth and digging into the dirt with us. Was really cute and amusing.
No real cravings or problems for me. Mrs was on the wagon but not for long. But we all have our time.
Many hugs and thanks
Old 10-28-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Need to Join Your Group

Hello! I am a 40 year old working mom in North Carolina. My last night drinking was October 25, 2018. I'm done! I think this is supposed to be my group!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Welcome Ready2Stop. Thanks for joining us and make yourself at home.

The Weekender is a nice mix of old hands and newbies. There is no fixed topic, but helpful information and encouragement get shared all the time.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:06 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for being here
It really means a lot to me and I’m very grateful to you all ❤️
Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ready2Stop

D
Old 10-29-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning.

Welcome to Weekenders Ready2Stop!

Great to see you Nefer.

Willow, and anyone else for that matter please do post when you're feeling low, everybody is at some point but unlime everybody elsewe also have that siren voice that tells us to drink or use when we're not feeling good. People here will understand as well or better than any counsellor or medical professional.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

I slept in again, I think I am acquiring a glamourized lifestyle of a writer the way it is shown in movies - write till late, sleep till late.

I am far from glaumourish though. I just have all I need at the time - enough money to keep me going for the next 3 months, coffee, food, a great desk which I designed and assembled myself out of IKEA items, gym membership and, most important - freedom!

My savings don't allow for much of extra spending, but I am ok with that. I am wearing almost the same clothes every day and joking that I am practicing Steve Job's attitude (I've just now realized that a black turtleneck is essential part of my modest wardrobe).

I paid for internet and cell phone 3 months upfront, allocated money for utilities and other necessary expenses, and I am exercising my best to stop worrying about every catastrophic event which may happen in my life.

Willow, both my parents passed away, so I understand your feelings.

Some time ago I read a book “A good goodbye” about letting things go and came upon an interesting thought, among others.

...we have the capacity to hold both grief and joy at the same time, which allows us to experience loss wholeheartedly. ...

I think that a common misconception is that we should experience just one feeling at a time. If sorrow prevails, then it pushes joy away completely and usurps all our emotional being.

And if in the middle of intense grieving we feel a spark of joy caused by bright blue sky or any other random event, sense of guilt arises that we somehow “don’t grieve properly”.

A human being is not a robotic arm that can hold only one item at a time, but a complex and astounding array of emotional experiences that kaleidoscope in most unexpected combinations and thus make the life worth living at all.

Just my two cents on the subject.

Morning, Sao, and everyone who is starting a new week already.

Welcome, Readytostart ! We are bunch of sober folks who are fun to hang out with.

Have a good one, weekenders.

See you later.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.

Welcome to the weekender Ready2Stop.

I'm in the international vaccine center of Toulouse hospital this morning getting my vaccine for the Ivory Coast trip (19 Nov.) I started flipping out a bit when I used Dr Google to research the risks of a week in the Ivory Coast...

See you all later.