Notices

Halloween Weekender Thread 26-29 October 2018

Old 10-26-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're here for everyone having a tough weekend

yeah LHW - I wouldn't even consider going to a wine tasting dinner - I'm not scared, I'm not judgmental - being around events where alcohol is central - has nothing to offer me or my life.

The choices that were once tough now are easy

D
Old 10-26-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday night (or whatever time it is where you are)

we we are getting a Nor’easter in NYC tomorrow...yay
Old 10-26-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Speaking about horrors, I need to watch this documentary

If you have a couple of spare moments, google Alex Honnold free solo climbing.

The guy climbs mountain walls without safety rope.

I listened to an interview with him about 3 years ago and he spoke about how he deals with fear if it suddenly strikes him somewhere midway of the climb. He said that it was a trained skill. And he's never appealed to higher power because he doesn't believe in it.

He impressed me a lot to put it mildly.
That look scarier to me than a halloween movie. I'd have my hands over my face just as often.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome! Went to see a movie...The Sister's Brothers. Thought it was very good. Hitting the hay early because I am so tired from the work week.

Enjoy your evening!

SeaSlug
Old 10-26-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

https://youtu.be/4PebLq32PvQ
Old 10-26-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

👋 great to be sober and first post in the weekenders. I’ve had a really rough week but I stayed sober day 5. Taking care of my physical, emotional, financial and mental health this weekend. Have a great weekend
Old 10-26-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
That look scarier to me than a halloween movie. I'd have my hands over my face just as often.
I always had a fear of heights and MB’s clip, which I clicked knowing full well what to expect, scared the cr@* out of me. Strange how we can take pleasure from watching or doing things that make us feel scared or anxious which, by definition, are unpleasant emotions. Perhaps it has to do with the pleasurable effects of the release of adrenaline or other endorphins.

Does anyone remember the movie Cliffhanger? I remember feeling pleasantly exhausted after watching that.

Thanks for The Cult, Sao. Absolutely one of my favorite bands from my younger days (along with Mr Alice Cooper).

Welcome jcmart! Well done on 5 days. Keep at it so that in a week’s time you’ll join us for your second sober weekend.

Saturday morning has arrived! Now for some coffee!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to the weekender RUL SeaSlug and Jcmart.

Morning all
Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, congratulations to everyone who made it through Friday night and if you are one of those people still on the booze treadmill then the good news is that stepping off of it is a relief not a hardship.

Coffee time here, in less than 18 hours British Summer Time will have ended an it will be dark by 5pm. Not a cheery thought...
Old 10-27-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, all.

My Saturday self-talk which follows exactly the same scenario every week reminds me of my pre-sobriety talks about having "just one drink":

- Maybe we should skip boxing today. It's Saturday morning, it would be great to spend a lazy day and take every trace of discipline off your back.

- But you will regret if you don't go and feel much better and all energized afterwards.

- But maybe just this time to shake my routine up a little bit.

And so on and so far until I get my gear ready and step outside the apartment.

Jeez.

Sao, such a cool victorian-Dickensish picture. Thank you.

Have a great day, everyone,
Old 10-27-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Mr

I was meaning to say also that you should go for it with the dog MB. One word of advice (caution) would be to go for a dog adapted to your environment (apt or house with garden, size, sportif or not so sportif....)

If I was back two years ago I would have probably chosen something other than an english setter. Despite how much we love marley he is just too sportif. He runs all day long every day. He needs so much space... A labrador will be the next choice I think... They are lazier but for the better !
Old 10-27-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you for advice about a dog, guys.

I took a look at the sites of a couple of shelters yesterday. All the dogs are so cute, it was heart breaking.

I just want my decision to be really well-thought. I live alone and need to take into account such things as going on vacations, business trips, etc.

Boxing is done. It always feels great to score this first victory over myself first thing on Saturday.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi Darkling!
Old 10-27-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Mr

When we were in Ireland we left marley at a place that looked after him.
It was 11€ per night.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:58 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday Weekenders.
JC, five days is great!
MB, we have three dogs (too many, by the way!). It's a big commitment, especially with both of us working. But coming home to dogs and long walks is the very very best! Not sure if you're a cat person, but they're a lot easier and can be loving -- I'm told; I'm not a cat person.
Welcome home, VMan. I have really enjoyed following your trip. And congrats on staying sober -- especially with Irish beer so handy!
Capt, I loved Cliffhanger. Wasn't exactly a quality film, but I was terrified the entire time!
Sao, I'm sipping lovely French roast with you right now!
RUL, we're hoping to get some of that Nor'easter in Vermont today, too!
Hello to Wood, Dream, Textrax, Dee, ST, SeaSlug, and everyone else working through a sober weekend!
Old 10-27-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by zoeydog View Post
Happy Saturday Weekenders.
Not sure if you're a cat person
Thank you, Zoe.

I bet 3 dogs keep you entertained all the time.

And I am the most "not cat person" which one can imagine))
Old 10-27-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday to all!

The wind is really whipping here in the Mid Atlantic of the US. The flag pole I have attached to the side of the house has come undone and is barely hanging on to the post. Later on I will head out and try to just take it the rest of the way off.

I’m drinking my Pumpkin Spice coffee this morning noticing how good it tastes. I love the pumpkin/gingerbread spices in things this time of year.

Question for everyone here. Call it my Saturday morning poll. On another recovery site (SMART), a lot of the people tend to refer to their sober days in a different way. For example, someone may say that they are sober 91 out of 99 days, not starting over at a Day 1 if they slip or relapse. They keep counting that way.

What do you all think of that? The premises of course is it puts a more positive spin on things. So if you manage to say sober 91 out of 99 days that is an accomplishment, rather than putting the negative on the eight days where you may have relapsed by starting the count over at Day 1. .

Just curious as to others opinions on this.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I don't give an inch when it comes to my sober time.

The reason I don't is that I was sober for 18 years and started drinking again. I used all those little ploys, "It was just for one day, I've been sober for two weeks," etc.

I don't want to drink again ever.

Your mileage may vary. If you aren't 100% behind staying completely sober, that's certainly your choice. But for me, I want to be sober. I don't ever want to let it slip back into those, "It's okay," thoughts.

When I started up again, I was able to moderate for a very long time. Years, actually. I would have drinks on "special" occasions.

Guess where I ended up in time?

My continuous sober time is precious to me. I don't ever want to make excuses or give myself permission.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning all. Ukulele lessons in a couple of hours to look forward too.

I'm very happy, and proud, to be able to string together continous sober days after so many years of simply trying to get started. But I would certianly not think any different of someone who counted as '91/99'. It still represents a commitment. Just like I don't think any differently of anyone who comes back here and says 'I slipped, but I'm back'.

That said, for myself tho, I would have to start at day one again. My count of days is one of those things I list as lost if I were to drink again. Just a tiny little piece of the motiation pie.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post

Question for everyone here. Call it my Saturday morning poll. On another recovery site (SMART), a lot of the people tend to refer to their sober days in a different way. For example, someone may say that they are sober 91 out of 99 days, not starting over at a Day 1 if they slip or relapse. They keep counting that way.

Though I am all in for positive mindset, there are cases when a positive outlook takes a hardly recognized detour on the road of wishful thinking with further deviation to the destination “delusion”.

As applied to sobriety linear scoring doesn’t work.

If my favorite team was scores 99-8 - they are killing it. If I go to the gym with the same ratio of success - I have every right to be proud of myself, etc.

But I we are talking about drinking issues, it’s more like riding through mountain serpentine road with malfunctioning breaks 3 days out of 99.

Would it make sense if someone started reassuring self-talk like: “Don’t be so hard on yourself. You checked the breaks 96 days in a row. You can let it slide just for today”.

Just one day, one minute will be enough for a fatal accident to happen.

And in this case the only acceptable score is 100% or zero options mentality. Because tapping on the shoulder for the previous success will do more harm than good.

And don’t forget about brain and body physiological changes that need a string of continuous time to switch to functioning without alcohol and make it a new normal. In this case it’s like building a bridge foe 91 days in a row and then blowing it up for the next 7 days.

What for?

Hope it makes sense.

Have a good sober day.