Notices

Halloween Weekender Thread 26-29 October 2018

Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, Vinny.

Breathe.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I hope my post re herbs was not too out of line,Dee- apols.

BUT- as ever- when my humour goes awry, it usually means time to reboot the normality program. Usually depression- where I counteract it with a huge investment of energy into everything and laughing off the emotions. So when people pull me up about the humour- I stop and think my way back to more level feelings. For the last 3y SR has been my benchmark for this- as my neighbours until Feb, were all in recovery- most not very well in succeeding.

Willow- both my folks are deceased. My dad died when I was in a coma in Aug- 2015. There is no game plan for my grief- I just have to go with the flow and accept it will pop up at the strangest times.
You are doing good- and seeing a counsellor is a good move too.
Support to you.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't offended personally PJ- & I'd never moderate on that basis even if I was

It's not about me, or my sense of humor or anything like that..there is a worksafe rule here though and the line is pretty conservative.

I'm not even worried about that. I just want people who are looking for help to know they'll find it here.

I don't think that's a big thing to ask, gang.

Someone starts something then others join in, before too long it's a snowball thing and hard to stop.

This snowball hadn't even stopped by the time I made this post, so I had to do some pruning.

You have no idea how much I HATE to have to do that.

Remember, this is a support thread, yeah?

have fun by all means but this may be someones first experience of the weekender thread.

Dee
blah blah blah
Old 10-29-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ready2Stop!

Hi, BigShoe! Hi, WolfsChild!

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post

Some time ago I read a book “A good goodbye” about letting things go and came upon an interesting thought, among others.

...we have the capacity to hold both grief and joy at the same time, which allows us to experience loss wholeheartedly. ...

I think that a common misconception is that we should experience just one feeling at a time. If sorrow prevails, then it pushes joy away completely and usurps all our emotional being.

And if in the middle of intense grieving we feel a spark of joy caused by bright blue sky or any other random event, sense of guilt arises that we somehow “don’t grieve properly”.

A human being is not a robotic arm that can hold only one item at a time, but a complex and astounding array of emotional experiences that kaleidoscope in most unexpected combinations and thus make the life worth living at all.
This is a really cool and liberating insight, MB! Thanks for sharing it!
Old 10-29-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Happy to see the weekenders have some new peeps on the thread and all have managed to get through the weekend sober. Another sober weekend for me too! Take care everyone and be good! x
Old 10-29-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hi, MantaLady! Great to see you!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
sober style

I envy your African trip, Vman. You're very worldly, way past your start as a sprog. Btw Côte d'Ivoire looks/sounds even more exotic than Ivory Coast imo. All the letters deserve little hats, I say!
Old 10-29-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Good Morning weekenders. Thought I'd pop in here before heading out on my business trip. I have learned that tonight's activity (should you choose to partake) before dinner is "tequila shots." Why do these event planners think that everyone drinks? I have no plans to drink at all but this kind of stuff irks the heck out of me. I will sit back and watch the "loose lips" at dinner.

Bye for now and hope everyone has a great day.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Another sober weekend in the books.

I liked the Dia de Muertos so much that I went back yesterday too. Lots of walking, I walked to the bus and had an eggnog latte while I waited. Walked from the bus a mile to the venue. Walked all around the venue - nearly five miles, so I don't feel too bad about all the food I ate.

At one point I went to another activity in the area that I thought was going to be crafts for the season etc...but it turned out to be a Pagan gathering. I have no problem with Pagans, it's just not my scene and I was uncomfortable, so back to the Dia de Muertos.

I was sitting in an audience and a lovely family started talking to me: me with my not so great Spanish and they spoke little English, but we figured it out for a few minutes of Spanglish. I got invited to join in the dances a couple times, it was great to move to the music and be involved.

So fun.

Welcome to Ready2Stop, and glad to see MantaLady back in the fold.

Onward to the next alcohol FREE week. Life's so much better without it.

This Aztec family was my favorite of the performers: he has his left knee in fire. I do not know why, but it had some meaning! I was in the front row and I was cringe-y.

Oh, it was called, "The dance of the Fire Snake."

Old 10-29-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Mr

Thx MB

Hey there Snazzy, it is a work trip so there will be some obligations to abide by.
I took a hotel in the city center so that I can get the feel of it all the same.

Bim that looks and sounds like a fab little shindig.

LHW I wish you courage for the event this evening.
Have fun watching the loose lips
Old 10-29-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Welcome to Ready2Stop. Hi Manta

Vacation days this week. Today is garage cleaning, tho Mrs D. suspect a torn or detatched retna, so off to the Docs we will go.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Dragon, I had flashing lights in my peripheral vision a few years ago, which is a sign of retinal issues...it didn't get worse though. I guess detached retinas can lead to serious vision problems, but I was fine.

I didn't even know it was a thing. Getting older has all kinds of little surprises. Hope she's okay.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Vinny, shindig, huh.

I'd better start building a Vman vocabulary - too many interesting words to forget.

Dragon - I hope Mrs. Dragon will be all right .

Hey, Manta!

No snakes on fire for me, but boxing and crossfit will do the trick)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Me, too! I also hope Mrs. Dragon is OK.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Mr

Dragon, so verdict for Mrs Dragon....?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Evening everyone.

Vman, Dr Google will have you in a flat spin with search terms like “African tropical disease”, but I don’t think you need to be overly concerned. I have travelled to Tanzania and know people that regularly visit countries like Kenya and Zambia, with no horror stories to tell. The main thing is probably malaria, which is quite preventable (although prophylactics don’t always agree with everyone) and treatable if caught in time. For the rest, I would just exercise common sense. Don’t drink from taps (also avoid ice cubes in your drinks) and some say stay away from the salad bars. I assume you‘ve seen a travel doctor, so this is just to ease your mind a bit.

Good to see you Manta, and good luck for tonight LHW.

Dragon, here’s hoping Mrs Dragon will be just fine.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Did I mention that some of the world‘s best coffee is undoubtedly from Africa?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Dear All,
I hope that this message finds you all well. I myself am ok. I do get a bit frustrated from time to time because my job is incredibly repetitive but at least I have a job and a place of my own.
My parents have gone to the south of France for a week. They will return this Wednesday - 2 days time. I never thought I would say it but I miss them. I have not seen them in about 3 weeks now and I miss my fathers advice and my mothers cooking also my fathers phone doesn’t work over there so it’s hard not to be able to talk every day when ever I want. Although perhaps the break has been good for all of us as I know I live in a rented house now but we probably are too dependent on each other. (Something that was mentioned by my therapist ages ago when he said I’ve never come across a family and extended family who are so involved in each other’s business as yours.)

I am sitting here with a latte (it’s become very cold here) and remembering when my parents went on holiday- must have been summer 2013 or 2014. Actually I cannot remember now exactly. I was sent to live with my Grandmother at that time for the week but it turned out that she had a holiday booked her self with some of my aunts and I pretty much had a house in the city all to myself. So, at that time of course I drank. My parents ended up calling my best friend and I had to stay with her in her parents house (they were away too) and then with her parents (they arrived back) until my father cut his holiday short and got on a flight home. I have been thinking about that for the past few days and I still remember the feelings.

As well as that I’ve gone to stay with a friend for the bank holiday weekend and he lives in a village in the west of Ireland which also contains a well known addiction rehabilitation Centre. My parents actually brought me to this place at that time as they were thinking of checking me in there at one time. Every time I walk past it I’m over come by very difficult memories.

Aw well at least my parents had an ok holiday this time. Surprisingly my mom was not ringing me all the time. In fact she actually had her phone off for large parts of the day. My dad was not keen on going at first because he said he has a lot of paperwork to do at home (they are selling my childhood home) and he would have preferred not to go. But I think a change of scenery is good for all of us and I’m very pleased that they enjoyed themselves and I feel bad for all the pain I caused them in the past.

Thank you for reading, Tetra

Old 10-29-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Isn't it a fine testimony to your growth and maturity that they feel comfortable to go away without any second guessing now?

It's only natural for your mind to drift to "the last time they traveled..."--especially since you're in close proximity for the time being to that rehab place--but you can and should congratulate yourself that your days of weighing disproportionately on your loved ones' minds are over!

Your parents obviously have come to have full confidence in you now.

On their next trip, you can look proudly back on your memories from this trip!

I hope you get to go visit your brother in Philadelphia one of these days, too, by the way!
Old 10-29-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Good post Tetra, thankyou for sharing