Notices

Halloween Weekender Thread 26-29 October 2018

Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Halloween Weekender Thread 26-29 October 2018

Hi There!

I'd like to welcome anyone new to SR and new to this thread.

Weekends can be a tough time, and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier

If you've never jumped into a weekender thread before - no time like today...do it now!

We don't 'do' much for Halloween in Australia - do you guys have parties and such?

There'll be support here right across the week to help everyone stay clean and sober - a trouble shared brings a good outcome

Have a ... ghoul time...

D
Old 10-25-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning all, I’m in! Shotgun? Thanks Dee and happy Halloween.

Unfortunately, it’s not really celebrabated in South Africa.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.
Thank you D.
Salutations Captain !
Old 10-25-2018, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Congratulations on Shotgun Captain!

Alcoholism and drug use are a very real nightmare for many people. Huge support to those people trying to escape its clutches and not be a victim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20181026_064334.jpg (69.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-25-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee!

Congratulations, Captain!

I’m in!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi I would like to join. Am making Halloween wreaths...will be done tomorrow. Going costume shopping to thrift stores and decorating this weekend. Also to see the movie The Sisters Brothers! Check in again soon. SeaSlug
Old 10-26-2018, 12:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome SeaSlug

No nightmares here Sao not anymore...

Unnecessary sedation is right...sheesh.

D
Old 10-26-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh alright, I talked me into it..just to set the mood..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hal.jpg (18.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

Yesterday I suddenly got an idea which I can't get out of my head: I want to adopt a dog. I know it's a huge commitment and responsibility. I had a dog once when I was a kid. He lived for 15 years with our family and was my best friend.

Well, maybe I am ready to have a close friend again?

Welcome, SeaSlug.

Have a good one, weekenders.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Halloween is a huge deal in my town. We have a privately run haunted house that we are hosting tonight. Tomorrow is a highly anticipated community event and several friends have parties scheduled for the weekend. I have plans to attend one party - my good friend’s party - she and her husband are not big drinkers.

Im super excited to scare lots of people tonight!!
Old 10-26-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders

Thanks Dee, I'm in!

Nice graveyard pic, VMan. I have quite a lot of graveyard photos, will try and find a couple for here.

In the meantime:

Old 10-26-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I was little and we'd drive by a graveyard, my Dad would always say, "Nobody living within a mile of that cemetery can be buried there." and I'd fall for it every single time … and ask "Why not?" And he's say, "Because you have to be dead!" It would crack me up! I love cemeteries, and like Bimini, imagine all the lives that are mentioned on the tombstones.

Happy to say I have a sober event tonight. Need to make a plan for Saturday night (quiet nights at home can be my downfall 'cause they're sneaky) and Sunday night (dinner with drinking friends, which sometimes can be easier because I walk in the door prepped and committed).

Hang in there everyone! Wishing you all a sober Friday!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

'Welcome to my nightmare' One of my al time favourite albums. I can recite Vincet Price work for word without the album playing.

This is my last day of work, I have next week off. Plan is to clean up the garage and build my halloween monsters. I love getting decorated up for halloween.

Loved your story about haunting the cemetary PJ, good laugh that was.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In for another sober weekend and Halloween. I will probably go up to the megachurch up the street for their community festival and I have the Dia de Meurtos on Saturday - much needed escape since I'm dealing with a stressful construction project and could use some cute kids dressed up.

Vman, you weren't rambling last night. The schoolyard dynamics don't really change all that much as grownups, right? Still have some of the same issues I think even as adults.

Okay, I'm going to try to wrangle my thoughts all day today. Not venture down the fear paths, and try to do the next right thing only when it needs to be done.

MB, a dog! Yes, do it. I've had many dogs. . .they aren't as easy when living in an apartment, but still great buddies.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr

We will shortly be in the air...
See you all later today.

Correct Bim, even though piaget skinner or some of the other referants would say we grow out of the ego part along the way... or we move up Maslow's triangle. Alcoholism prevents all that type of development work. Impossible when we can't even assure that bottom line of the triangle...
Mrs vman is into psychology and I did a little at uni. Always found it captivating...
Time to fly.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Safe flying, Vman.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Morning folks. It's hard to believe another weekend is upon us. I am glad to be here and was checking back all last night to see if this thread had been started yet.

I had a bit of slip, lapse, relapse, whatever you want to call it earlier this week. It wasn't bad, it could have been much, much worse, and it was only one night but still....I could see it coming for days and simply ignored all the signs. So that is another thing to work on. I am still seeing my therapist on a weekly basis and so we are adding this to the agenda.

Honestly, I am getting so tired of working on this sobriety thing, but I will keep at it. With my therapists help, I am working on a new plan for dealing with the warning signs and to pay attention to them, not ignore them.

We are expecting a lot of rain and wind here this weekend, a "N'oreaster". That will keep me inside for a lot of the time, but I do have plans to meet two friends for dinner on Saturday night, so hopefully it won't be too bad out.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LHW, sorry to hear that.

Have you read through any of the stuff in Secular Recovery? Or looked into any books or listened to podcasts about sobriety?

In early days I told myself over and over, "I don't drink, no matter what." Every time I had a thought about alcohol, that's what I said. Sometimes out loud. I also had the Serenity Prayer on a loop in my head - it works for every situation.

I needed all the tools I could find.

I'm glad you made it back. What did you tell yourself just before drinking?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Honestly, I am getting so tired of working on this sobriety thing, but I will keep at it.
you must be even more tired of going back to drinking tho, LHW?

I reached a point where I knew I'd never be the drinker I wanted to be and I'd never have the relationship with alcohol that I wanted.

Everything I wanted alcohol to do for me - help in social groups, to fit in, stress relief, celebration, self medication, relief of boredom or fear - I could get in a more healthy or effective way.

My life was increadibly complicated with my insane efforts to keep drinking.

Not drinking is not only easier - it's bought me to a peace and a satisfaction I could only dream of before.

Maybe its time to draw a line ion the sand LHW - no looking back?

D
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
'Welcome to my nightmare' One of my al time favourite albums. I can recite Vincent Price work for word without the album playing.

Dragon, that's IT! Thank you very much! I've been trying to keep my mind occupied and amused with movies, and I always keep forgetting what people recommend.

But I'm often not in the mood for the drama of drama or psychological thrillers.

Just the think: my man Vincent Price! And he's perfect for the season!