Notices

Weekender Thread 31 August - 3 September 2018

Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Thanks V! I think the rehab is going to freak when the worldwide mail starts arriving.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Way to go Trach! I have made sure to save that address. I think it's a great thing that you are doing. You're to good to lose to this illness.

Snazzy, I left home in 1980 too, to become a panel beater ( body shop repair guy) I only moved half a mile at most, hey ho.

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Morning all, gotta shave this four day old beard and head off to work!
Hey the desperado look is IN!
Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Today's the day.

Love goes with you, trachs.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Greetings, friends.

Welcome, ILoveLove & Blessed, to the thread.

Have a fine day, all.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

trachemys - very best wishes. Shine bright.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:45 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.
Running late.... See you all later
Old 09-05-2018, 01:40 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Have a good day (or night), everyone!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Mr

You too Kathy....

I wanted to tell you that I lived in the Calvados department in Normandie France for 3 years. I lived in a flat on the D-day landing beach of Courseulles sur Mer. I went to visit Lisieux which was not far away. I have visited the basilica there. I needn't tell you it's pretty impressive. As was she.

You might like this :
https://books.google.fr/books?id=MYJ...page&q&f=false
Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning my lovely weekenders! I’ve not been posting much on SR lately and trying to exercise more instead of sitting on the computer which is making a big difference and I am finally loosing proper weight! Yay! For anyone that is struggling I promise you it gets better if you stick at it, it’ll be hard at times but the payoff for sobriety is something I cannot put into words. You are all doing great so keep it up! I am at 86 days today, on day 90 I am going to be in the hills and mountains doing a navigation course which is a great way and great place to celebrate hitting a milestone I never thought I would ever achieve. If I can do it, so can you!! xx
Old 09-05-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Huge congratulations, ML! Sounds invigorating!

That is cool, Vinny! I have actually read that book. Therese of Lisieux died a LO-O-O-ONG and agonizing death. Her cries of suffering were sobering, to say the least. But she had a vision of paradise at the end--after all that horrific agony, her words at her last moment were, "My God, I love you."

I can only hope and pray. I feel very far away from that. But then, so did she most of the time she was dying...
Old 09-05-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

So the boss goes out of town and I get handed a resignation that clearly stated the person was not happy. Of course I was cluless to the whole situation and was willing to ride it out until the boss got back. But another worker started raising a fuss directly with HR which resulted in the resignator being walked out. The fussie is known to be flighty and unreliable and if I had my choice would be the one walked out the door. I didn't want to be in the middle of this but now my boss looks bad. I expect him back today and hope to have a long chat about this.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:05 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

UGH! I'm sorry you were forced to be the middleman in that mess, Dragon!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Mr

Nice work Manta. I imagine you are looking forward to going to the mountains. I know I would be. What kind of course is it.?

Dragon that sounds like a bummer. I hope you go easy on your boss.... I imagine he will get a talking to from HR too.

No news from Sao this morning.?
Old 09-05-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hey vman! I am going to be in the Lake District doing a map reading course out in the hills. You learn how to read and navigate using ordinance survey maps with a compass and hopefully learn how to not get lost when you are trekking in the wilderness! The weather is meant to be traditional Lake District northern England stuff so gonna need some waterproofs haha xx
Old 09-05-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Afternoon VMan! Lisieux looks fascinating. Easy to forget how many people used to die of TB before antibiotics.

Congratulations on 86 days ML!

Sorry you are in an uncomfortable situation there Dragon, my advice for dealing with that sort of thing would be to hide in the toilet for as long as possible.

I found out this morning that my youngest daughter has managed to sell all 8 t-shirts that she made at college for £55 EACH! Who is daft enough to pay £55 for a t-shirt unless it's made out of Mithril or something?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Mr

We havent heard from Captain HADDOCK since a while.
Are you still on your work trip captain or are you home ?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Thanks for the clickbait Vman.

I returned on Friday night and had to slug through 5 days’ worth of emails when I got back to the office on Monday (I’ve thusfar refused to give in to receiving emails on my phone, but that decision is being currently being revisited).

Hope everyone is having a peaceful sober evening. The weekend is getting closer by the minute!
Old 09-05-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Mr

I get my work mail on my mobile. Holidays and weekends I sometimes uncheck "synchronise" but in the end yes too connected.... Maybe it's professional conscience not sure. When you're in IT and Telecommunications you end up being consumed by it. That's where and why the mountains and fishing come in handy

I may be heading your direction (at least your continent) before the end of the year to the ivory coast (Abidjan) then down to Botswana. It will be work trip.

Goodnight weekenders.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Côte d'Ivoire/Abidjan should be fascinating. I have actually been there but it was so long ago that I expect everything has changed out of all recognition (I was probably only a few years behind Vasco da Gama) If you can get to Yamoussoukro and the Basilica there that should be amazing. They were still building it when I went.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Would this be your first visit to Africa, Vinny? Your French will stand you in good stead in the Ivory Coast. Botswana borders South Africa, to the north. I live in the capital which is about 260km south east of the border with Botswana. I am assuming that in Botswana you will be visiting the capital city, Gaborone. Botswana is generally known as a very safe African country, but there are many others as well.

Botswana is also renowned for excellent game viewing, in the reserves of course.