Notices

Weekender Thread 31 August - 3 September 2018

Old 09-01-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonfiction1 View Post
Good morning everyone! I hope all is well! I am 21 days sober today! Weekends have been the toughest days for me. I've started planning my weekends out on Thursdays to keep myself busy. Its been working well. And I haven't had the "case of the Monday's" since getting sober either!

This will be a tough weekend to get through. I lost my brother to a heart attack recently and today is his funeral. And then I have a birthday party later. My brother's passing is one of the reasons I chose to quit drinking. I'm not getting any younger.

I've been journaling my recovery every day, and I see that one of my big triggers is emotions. As I read through these threads I see that its perfectly normal to feel sad and scared. I've told myself that I am not sure if I'm emotionally ready to deal with saying goodbye to my brother without a drink in my hand. But I can't not go to his funeral. I don't have to go to the birthday party, which I don't think I will.

If anyone has any suggestions, inspiration, motivation for me, I appreciate it! I was so excited to reach 21 days sober I don't want to start at day 1 again and go through the withdrawals again. I know that should be enough of a reason, but my mind is messing with me.

Thanks for everything all!
I am so sorry to hear about your brother, nonfiction!

Funerals can be a real challenge but it is absolutely possible to get through them without a drink. Remind yourself often that you are proud of your sobriety; remind yourself that numbing the grief only delays and prolongs the grieving process; remind yourself often of the special, courageous and life-changing endeavor which you are undertaking.

Bring your own non-alcoholic beverage and have it always in hand.

Keep SR close, too. There is always someone here.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

A good and sober Saturday to all!

Thank, all, for the well wishes. So far, so good. The lesion under my eye is the only one which has begun to react but reactive behavior can take as long as 10days to begin. So far, no pain!!!

A semi healthy treat for all:

Old 09-01-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
sober style

Just looking at that fruit thing makes me feel healthier! I hope that's cheesecake under there, for the healthy cheese protein of course.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday Morning, all!
This is my first long holiday weekend since I put down the wine glass. Coming home from work on Friday, I had an urge or two because I used to celebrate the start of a long weekend with a vodka martini. Thought about that. Thought about wine. Thought again very hard. Took the rose-colored glasses off. It's not like I had several happy, well-adjusted friends coming over for a BBQ and to share a couple of bottles of wine. No. It was just me and hubby. I would get home. Mix a drink. Drink it. Mix another. Cook dinner. Mix another to have with dinner. Watch TV. Fall asleep. I can do that sober, lol! So I did not drink and woke up happy to a cool morning and coffee on the patio with my dogs. Not missing a thing.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good work, Branches! You can definitely make it through!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi all.

Just got back from a walk to the fitness center where I also did some time on the elliptical trainer. On the way home, I walked around an outdoor track for a bit, but am still far from my 10,000 steps goal. Guess I need to clean the house now, that will add some!

If anyone would like a good recovery podcast to listen to, try the Bubble Hour. The one I listened to was really good, about an hour long, just long enough for my total workout. I picked out a few more from the list to listen to later on today.

Trying to cut back on the sugar, so looking forward to this evenings healthy dessert option. Though I must say that fruity cheesecake thing posted by Sober Leigh looks darned good.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done Branches indeed.
Glad you are able to knock off the "rose colored glasses"

Howdy LHW and Leigh
Hope everything goes smoothly with your treatment Leigh.

Goodnight weekenders.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders ForMe247!

I hope you are feeling better by now Hawking22.

My condolences NonFiction1 for the loss of your brother. Not drinking at the funeral means you will be fully aware and conscious of whatever is said in the way of tributes etc and that is a good way to say goodbye to your brother. I agree with Leigh about making sure you have plenty of your favourite n/a drink to hand. Many congratulations on 21 days, soon be a calender month.

It was a beautiful day in London, I went to Camberwell Fair and tried some ital (Rastafarian) food. That said I think the fair must have been more exciting in olden times. In 1855 it was banned for some years after "immoral and riotous behavior."
Old 09-01-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Congrats on 21 days NonFiction and so sorry for the loss of your brother, my sincere condolences to you & your family.

SL, I hope this treatment will be successful for you,sending my best wishes for a good recovery.Thank you for the fruity confection, utterly Lush xx

LHW, hope your day 1 has gone well.

Love to all, SP
Old 09-01-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss NonFiction but I'm really glad you've joined us - welcome
D
Old 09-01-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

My personal little demon AV is singing today. Not so much urging me to have a drink. It's telling me I don't have a "real" problem. That I didn't drink THAT much compared to others. In a very reasonable tone of voice, it's saying, "Look. You haven't touched a drop in a month and a half and you've been fine. Are you telling me that you can't control yourself and just have a drink occasionally?"
That's the kind of crap I am hearing . And I know it was prompted by the long holiday weekend and by an invitation I got to an upcoming Happy Hour. This is not a strong urging to go buy liquor right now. This is more a propaganda approach - with a tone of somone who's telling a dieter, "oh, my gosh, you've lost 15 pounds. You can have one tiny piece of cake."
Thank y'all for listening. I can't believe I didn't reject those thoughts immediately, but actually let them roll around in my brain for a hot minute. So I posted.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am enjoying the weekend in sunny San Jose.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Branches View Post
This is not a strong urging to go buy liquor right now. This is more a propaganda approach - with a tone of someone who's telling a dieter, "oh, my gosh, you've lost 15 pounds. You can have one tiny piece of cake."
You have totally hit the nail on the head, Branches. Oily propaganda is exactly what the voice is!

Good work on recognizing and rejecting it completely!
Old 09-01-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I loved those animal photos Vman! The otters look like funny little (or giant) guys
Old 09-01-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hang in there Weekenders! I'm wrapping up day 7, a full week. Not too many days, but a really big deal to me. I've been reading sobriety literature every evening, checking into SR twice daily, talked to my husband about trying to stay sober through September -- he promised to help -- and making sure plans are in place for difficult days. Friday and Saturday are difficult days, and I made it. On to Sunday! Stay strong everyone!
Old 09-01-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

That’s terrific, Zoeydog.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss, Nonfiction. Welcome.

My new day 1 is coming to a close. It's been okay. Having the diet is helpful, keeps me busy and I made some mini vegetable breakfast quiches to put in the freezer. Also made a large salad which I had for dinner. No sugar cravings yet. That will take a few days from past experience.

Season 2 of Ozark started back on Netflix, so watched the first episode and now getting ready to call it a night.

Hope everyone has had a great day.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Branches View Post
..."Look. You haven't touched a drop in a month and a half and you've been fine. Are you telling me that you can't control yourself and just have a drink occasionally?"...
Putting the drink down was a most difficult thing for me to do. I know who would have conrol if I picked up again. Goods on you for not falling for it branches.

Originally Posted by zoeydog View Post
Hang in there Weekenders! I'm wrapping up day 7, a full week. Not too many days, but a really big deal to me....
7 days is a huge deal zoey. Congrats!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sorry to hear about your Brother nonfiction...
Old 09-01-2018, 08:48 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I made it thru!

I was dreading this day, fearing I would fall. Such a sad stressful day, however I didn't make it worse by drinking! I didn't make an ass out of myself at my brother's funeral. I didn't drink. I can wake up in the morning with a clear conscience knowing I didn't disrespect my family.