Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 1

Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Exerqueen View Post
Day one done! Brain working this morning...that’s a great sign!
Well done Exerqueen!! A sober morning!! They are so much better!! Keep doing it! One day at a time!!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Day 6. I found it really hard to get up this morning. Almost like I was in the deepest sleep I've ever been in. And some very vivid dreams. It should be another straightforward day today. Just work with no work functions or other situations with temptations to avoid.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Nice job everybody. Congratulations on 2 weeks + Mistory. Nice job on 1 week Deb T. One more day for a week Rusty Golf.

RG, I am experiencing the same thing with sleep being deep and full of dreams. I was taking Valerian at first and decided to stop taking it because of how glued I felt to my bed in the morning. So I did stop taking it, but it's been still hard to get up in the morning, and I'm usually wanting to continue whatever interesting dream I'm having.

It's been 2 weeks today, which is a milestone I set for myself. I quit on the 4th, and on the 14th felt strong enough to quit smoking, instead using a nicotine replacement product.

I've been enjoying drinking good strong coffee. I've been enjoying reading. I've been getting some small projects done, and cleaning here and there. I feel more capable and confident of setting a course and being able to maintain it, as if on a consistent path. Of course, when I was drinking, my judgement was bad, I'd make impulsive stupid decisions, and spend a lot of time recovering from them, or bailing myself out of trouble frantically. Being more proud of what I do, and more in control of myself are the two nicest changes.

I ordered a book from the Books on Recovery thread, Marcus Aurelius', Meditations. It took forever to arrive - 10 days. It was beginning to upset me, waiting, which is ironic because the book is largely about only worrying about those things which you can actually control yourself.

I thought I had fixed my water heater. It stopped working after 3 days. I ordered the part that I needed to fix it after troubleshooting the problem and trying otherwise to fix it.

I enjoy just taking life as it comes to me. I am learning to accept life as it is, and doing what I can for myself, which is within my own power. I'm grateful for the time I get to spend with my young son. I'm appreciating the time that I spend with others. There's always going to ups and downs, but I'm working to develop a stoic contentment and finding more peace in life already.

Onward to a month!
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Well done Yurio and rusty. Keep going

Evening all

In bed, very tired but sober as a judge. Easy day craving-wise as there was so much other stuff to deal with.

Very tired, hope I sleep well soon. I will when I’m tired enough I’m sure

I’m really glad to go to bed sober.

Keep going everyone
Old 07-18-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Day 4.

Great night sleep... very little anxiety... woke up and the alarm had been ringing for 5 minutes... oops!

I was doing fine, until the last couple hours of work. I seem to have the opposite problem with work than others typically have... I am bored, do not feel challenged or busy, and become preoccupied with my thoughts. Also, I get frustrated with coworkers who seem to be having a hard time following along with what I am trying to accomplish.

Sobriety makes me want to do and accomplish a lot more, especially at work, but am limited to only how fast my boss is willing to move on projects and things. He came into the office briefly today but didn't have time to talk to me so I'll be working from home tomorrow with not a lot of work to do.

Alas, visiting this thread has calmed me down... thanks all!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ExerQueen

D
Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

End of Day 4, yay! Indulging myself a little with Chinese food, yum! For some reason Chinese food and alcohol just don't go together, so I'd always miss it when I was drinking. I might just have to give up my Russian vodka friend for General Tso. The latter might not be the most nutritious dish, but it's way better than a load of vodka
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Welcome Exerqueen! Glad to hear from everyone.
It's late and I should be in bed. So tired. Put in another very long day at work. Took a group of residents out to eat at Red Lobster this evening. One of the new residents is an alcoholic. Told us that when he was moving in. Said he no longer drinks. And he ordered a whisky. What could I do? We were all together at the table, I couldn't embarrass him. So, then he ordered another just as we were all ready to leave. Poor old fellow. I hope it doesn't become a problem. I will try to talk to him tomorrow.
I am so looking forward to the weekend! Got some plants to plant outside. I need some rest and relaxation, and some time working in the yard!
I love that so many of the posts are about taking it one day at a time and not overdoing things. I know I need to make both a priority. I find myself doing too much every day.
We can do this together! Thanks to all of you who post. Reading your posts is a huge part of my recovery plan.
Sweet dreams and Happy Thursday to everyone!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Another day in the books. Sitting here on my deck enjoying a fine ginger ale and about to go read. I started reading the 30 day sobriety solution and going through the exercises.

Glad everyone is doing well. Wish I had some of that Chinese food, Lascaux.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Well done TJ, lascaux and 369. It’s great to know people are going through the same stuff. We can do this!

Woke up feeling like i has drunk the night before. Panic - much! Very odd, heavy head and eyes and sweaty. But it only lasted a few minutes and now it’s great to feel ok when I wake up.

I’m 38 - 21 years of waking up drunk or hungover. That’s just silly isn’t it?

Glad that i don’t have to drink alcohol today. Nobody will force me, the drink doesn’t have legs and I sure as hell don’t want to. Looking forward to going to bed sober. I’ve got to work til 2 then I’ll be in my house, safe as can be

Have a good day people
Old 07-18-2018, 10:58 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Exerqueen View Post
Day one done! Brain working this morning...that’s a great sign!
Welcome!! Congrats on getting that first day under your belt!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I’m thinking we Dry July’s are a strong bunch! 💪

Isn’t it amazing how much more productive and motivated we are when we aren’t drinking? The littlest things used to feel like colossal tasks to me. Even watering my plants, for crying out loud! I will say- one of the first signs of relapse for me would be dying plants... kinda symbolic, I suppose. My hanging basket is currently thriving.

I have been walking everyday. It’s something I do at night to occupy the hours that used to be spent drinking. I actually located my FitBit AND the charger today (something I could not have mustered drinking!).

Now that I am sober I can take a step back and see how my life was in serious disarray when I was drinking... It’s a nice feeling to put the pieces back together.

I had the WORST NIGHTMARE that I drank last night!! It was awful. It was the best feeling when I realized it was only a dream. Ugh!

Hope everyone had or is having a wonderful day! Good night, SR friends.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Day 11 here. Sorry I haven't been so active posting this week. It's been a really really busy week and it's not over yet. I have two busy days at work today and Friday so I have to be on my game!

On top of it all, I've had a really stressful situation with a neighbor targeting me for romantic reasons. It's really creepy and gross and has been stressing me out. I'm a friendly person and think it's good to be friendly to all people and neighbors especially, since we all live together, and unfortunately this guy has interpreted my friendly personality as me somehow being interested in him. Ugh, it's been really yucky.

Lascaux - I have to comment on the Chinese food! I used to think that wine went well with Chinese food (boy, was I wrong!) I used to go pick up my favorite "Broccoli Chicken with white rice" and then pick up a bottle of either white or red to "go with it." Either one of two things would happen (1) I would drink the wine and no longer want to eat the food and it would go to waste or (2) I would try to drink the wine with the food, and later would end up throwing it all up. I still remember the look of it in the toilet (I'm really sorry, that was gross). But I still like Chinese food and now know that it goes best with WATER, pure and plain ice water and Chinese!!

Have a good day - I'll check in over the weekend!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaigeMasters View Post
I’m thinking we Dry July’s are a strong bunch! 💪

Isn’t it amazing how much more productive and motivated we are when we aren’t drinking? The littlest things used to feel like colossal tasks to me. Even watering my plants, for crying out loud! I will say- one of the first signs of relapse for me would be dying plants... kinda symbolic, I suppose. My hanging basket is currently thriving.

I have been walking everyday. It’s something I do at night to occupy the hours that used to be spent drinking. I actually located my FitBit AND the charger today (something I could not have mustered drinking!).

Now that I am sober I can take a step back and see how my life was in serious disarray when I was drinking... It’s a nice feeling to put the pieces back together.
I also started walking in the evenings... to occupy my time I used to spend with wine. It was a chore at first, but now I’m starting to look forward to the evening walks. A new way to wind down at the end of the day! Thanks for your inspiration and support!
Old 07-19-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Today will be one week. Woo hoo.

Down 5 lbs over the 7 days. I'm sure its mostly water weight, but I sure feel a lot better.

I'm really having a hard time getting up in the morning. Feels like I've taken a few sleeping pills and am in a really deep sleep. And lots of vivid dreams again last night too. Looking forward to sleeping in this weekend.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I had the realization today that I used to spend between $50-70 per week on wine. Over the many years that I was “dating” the bottles of wine, I have spent thousands of dollars in this bad relationship with nothing in return. I’ve decided to save the money instead and invest in my own wellness and self.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hello, everyone - this is a great group! Wrapping up Thursday here and making plans to get through a sober weekend (it's been a long time since I had one of those). Planning to hide out in the house Saturday, but if the weather's nice I'll go someplace Sunday when the liquor stores are closed. Will be checking in here a lot to see how everyone is doing.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForMe247 View Post
… I’ve decided to save the money instead and invest in my own wellness and self.
Brilliant, I love this post
Old 07-19-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Day 18 for me. There have been a few times I’ve felt sad I can’t drink anymore. Only for a moment, tho. I think it through, about the feeling of being buzzed, waking up feeling polluted, then feeling hungover and depressed, and I realize I just want the idea of it, what it means to me. The unwinding, loosening up, escaping my constant anxiety. I realize it’s always been like that.

I would like to find a new place to go for that feeling that doesn’t kill brain cells. I’ve been meditating, but that’s not the same. I’ll figure it out eventually.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Day 5.

I have had a pair of string drawn shorts sitting on the coffee table for about two months. The draw string came out of the shorts during a load of laundry. I finally found the motivation to rethread the shorts today (took about 30 minutes but it is done). I am actually accomplishing things now. Go me!