Old 09-15-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I just wanted to add my welcome and reassure you you're not alone Sky

D
Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you. I have made an appointment with a psychiatrist via getting referred by my therapist but his only availability is at the end of next month so I will be waiting for that appointment. It gives me a bit of hope to know that you were able to get sober after seeing a psychiatrist and getting properly diagnosed. Do you mind sharing your diagnosis? Did he prescribe medication? I know for some medications it only makes things worse so that's why I am a bit nervous to meet the psychiatrist.

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
Hi Sky. Be proud of yourself for continuing to work on our disease. Yes, I meant to type our. I haven't read here that you have seen a psychiatrist? I was a chronic relapser until I was properly treated by a psychiatrist. I had no peace in the previous 10 years, none. 14 months sober now. Please keep checking in. Xoxoxo
Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello?

How is it going everyone?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good here thanks Sky - how are you?

D
Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ah glad someone else is up! I am now on day 2 heading into day 3...just reading a lot of old threads related to how I have been feeling (threads on suicidal ideation) and it's been helping

dreading to leave my house even for a walk...paranoia is a bit of side effect for the withdrawal.. but it's also because I just want more time sober before I head out into daily life again. Also, I am trying to figure out if I can just move out of this neighborhood its a relatively good neighborhood but I associate a lot of my using and nights coming home high to where I am at now...hope that makes sense..but then again I'd like to be financially more stable before moving so I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I reached out to my mother about what I have been going through...

I can't afford going into treatment and my relatives cannot afford it either but we are trying to figure out a plan of action to keep me busy and get me back on track..

I am glad to have her to talk to when my cravings and negative thinking get too intense...although she is facing her own set of mental health issues lately since my dad got very sick so it gets complicated

Glad to hear from you!

Good here thanks Sky - how are you?

D
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't really afford to move...for what it's worth I got sober in the same house and area I used to drink all day in, so it is possible - the area didn't change but I did

D
Old 09-15-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

wow that really does give me hope thnx Dee74

I couldn't really afford to move...for what it's worth I got sober in the same house and area I used to drink all day in, so it is possible - the area didn't change but I did

D
Old 09-16-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Glad you decided to stay here for the support. Other people's stories help too. I read more than I post and I think it has helped alleviate the cravings because at Day 12, my AV is still at bay. Mind you I have another issue consuming me lately with someone else but it has nothing to do with addiction.
I second that moving would not solve your problem at the core, your addiction will follow you anywhere. It has for me after moving cities, even countries. The change and work has to come from within and with help and support. Trying to face it alone has been nothing but continuous failures for me, and there was no escaping it or myself.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great to read you're making some progress. I'm really hoping I can get long-term sobriety this time too! Good luck😀
Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow I really did think demographic change works for some but I guess majority thinks it will not. Day 12 is great. Yes other peoples stories has been my saving grace these first few days.

Right now the simple things are the toughest...laundry, eating etc. a lot of irritability and want to stay in bed a lot

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Glad you decided to stay here for the support. Other people's stories help too. I read more than I post and I think it has helped alleviate the cravings because at Day 12, my AV is still at bay. Mind you I have another issue consuming me lately with someone else but it has nothing to do with addiction.
I second that moving would not solve your problem at the core, your addiction will follow you anywhere. It has for me after moving cities, even countries. The change and work has to come from within and with help and support. Trying to face it alone has been nothing but continuous failures for me, and there was no escaping it or myself.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

thnx what are some of the things u will be doing to stay sober long-term?

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
Great to read you're making some progress. I'm really hoping I can get long-term sobriety this time too! Good luck😀
Old 09-16-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I hope you do find a solution to the other issue that is consuming you

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
Old 09-16-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Also,

I live in the big apple. It is tough here. I dread the MTA but I also dread driving in the city...aside from my issues with addiction being a reason that I want to move I have never really enjoyed being here... And my sister recently moved away she was my biggest supporter with my mental health issues, addiction (she was pretty overwhelmed with it) Anyway, she moved to a nice quiet area outside of the city with her husband about an hour away..she really was my rock. We talk via text but it's just not the same since we were always a block away from each other and we actually lived together before she got remarried so it's sort of like my entire family and I got separated...

I told her I have been struggling with my mental health but I am too scared to even tell her about the relapse because well sometimes she's not too nice or hopeful about it.

Ultimately, I miss her so much and this is the furthest we have been away from each other since birth
Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

How is everyone doing?
Old 09-16-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sky90 View Post
thnx what are some of the things u will be doing to stay sober long-term?
I've started therapy again and I'm using SR a lot. I'm also going to try to learn from the mistakes I made the last time I got sober. I don't think I ever truly let go before. I want it to be different this time.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by sky90 View Post
Thank you. To be honest I have never been comfortable talking about my feelings in a group setting when it comes to my addiction/mental health issues. I don't think NA, CA, or AA would work for me. But I will try to keep an open mind.
I didn't think AA would work for me either. But I did it anyway, and it worked. By did it I mean steps sponsor the whole deal. AA is a single purpose fellowship, alcoholism, so not much use to you. But the others like CA and NA, may have the answer for you, if you are willing to do your part.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It's great to hear you will stay on here for support. I can see both sides of the "moving/geographic" debate. Whatever works for you is what counts. Keep up the progress and hope.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I know a few people that have gotten sober through AA from being addicted to heroin, meth, etc. I think different things can work for different people.

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I didn't think AA would work for me either. But I did it anyway, and it worked. By did it I mean steps sponsor the whole deal. AA is a single purpose fellowship, alcoholism, so not much use to you. But the others like CA and NA, may have the answer for you, if you are willing to do your part.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Great let me know how therapy goes I am in therapy too and plan on using SR more frequently please do share your journey to long-term sobriety with me...we can do this together

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
I've started therapy again and I'm using SR a lot. I'm also going to try to learn from the mistakes I made the last time I got sober. I don't think I ever truly let go before. I want it to be different this time.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
It's great to hear you will stay on here for support. I can see both sides of the "moving/geographic" debate. Whatever works for you is what counts. Keep up the progress and hope.