Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend survival - plan your entertainment. Weekenders 21-23 July

Notices

Weekend survival - plan your entertainment. Weekenders 21-23 July

Old 07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

In horribly depressing news, my Downs Syndrome brother (age 48) is starting to exhibit signs of dementia. Really common for people with Down Syndrome to develop dementia, but we were hoping he would dodge that fate. He has not been formally diagnosed, but the symptoms seems pretty clear.
Sorry to hear about your brother. I am a scientist at the national institute on aging and our lab studies Alzheimer's disease (among other neurodegenerative diseases). Not sure if you know this or not, but I found it really interesting - It is nearly 100% of Down's syndrome patients that develop Alzheimer's disease, and the reason is that the APP gene, which produces the protein that ends up making Amyloid beta plaques (a diagnostic criteria for Alzheimer's) is on chromosome 21 - the chromosome that Downs patients have 3 instead of 2.

It is believed that all modern Downs patients will develop Alzheimer's if they live long enough. It used to be that a lower percentage developed it because so many died younger before the critical heart surgery was routinely performed.

I hope this doesn't sound cold as far as your brother is concerned. I very much understand the devastation of that disease both professionally and personally. I just thought you might be interested in that information. Or maybe you already knew.

Anyway, here's hoping better treatments are available soon. By the way, the most reliable treatment we have seen in the lab (with mice) is exercise. Same has been seen in humans.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I found it interesting. I used to take care of people with Alzheimer's and did my pediatric nursing rotation in a place for people with developmental disabilities, some with Down's. I am planning to work there when I graduate.

I took care of a woman with Alzheimer's in her home, and got to know her entire extended family (circus), and they had a very strong tendency to dementia and MR, and also alcoholism, depression, ocd..

Always find it interesting how some people just wind up with all those cards and others don't.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry about your brother, Nons. Dementia is very difficult.

I'm glad, though, that you'll soon be spending time with your son.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the new thread Sao.

I like plans

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I'm sorry to hear about your brother Nons. Best wishes to him, to you and all your family.

D
Old 07-20-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hugs, Nonsensical ~ for you and your brother

Thanks Sao for another weekend thread. I will need to stay close ~ I was doing okay, then was saddened by the news of Chester Bennington. Idk why I take it so hard when a rock star dies ~ it's not like I know these people....I avoided the bar after work; somehow I went to the gym instead.

I'm off Sunday from my part time job and I'm signed up for goat yoga that day. I'm looking forward to it
Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Tiny goats? I want a tiny goat!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Who has tiny goats?? Sign me up, too!

I have had a devil of a time this afternoon. I know for a fact I would have had a drink if there had been anything in the house. I don't know what is wrong with me lately, but I've been "off". Im OK now, and my partner is home. I am shocked at how very weak I was, and still feel weak. Giving it a lot of thought.

I'll be sticking very close to you Weekenders.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Purplrks...goat yoga? Now I'm really confused.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I want to get people who I can call on the phone whenever I have an alcohol craving.. or even if it's not to that point and I just feel like I need to vent..
Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Isn't that where a goat walks on your back?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm in too.

Really liked everyone's posts. I can definitely relate to what one of you said about the spontaneity and freedom that we experience not being slaves to the booze. In other words, we can do pretty much anything at any hour of the day, within reason (we may have jobs, limited income, etc.). If I want to go to Walgreens at 10 pm on a Tuesday night I can. Many people would take that for granted. But not us.

When I was still drinking, right before I quit, it was getting so bad I had to start drinking in the afternoon, every day, or I would get the shakes and my heart/chest would get really tight and I would get really anxious. By 10 pm I would usually be wasted and would just stay at home. I would never drink and drive, but instead would ask my wife to go out and pick up this or that, which wasn't right or fair to her at all. Looking back, I am ashamed of a lot of what I did/said over the last 10 years or so I've been drinking heavily.

It is nice to be free again and I am looking forward to being a better husband and father. It will be 6 weeks on Sunday.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi DesertTraveler, six weeks is so great!!! Congrats...this is exactly how we get over the shame and regret. By literally being better people in our lives now. I don't know any other way.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well, I am packing in my strange confusing day and going to bed early. I will see you all again, wherever you be, when it is Friday where I be.

So glad SR is here.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Aaand this another one of those times I feel like I've stuck my foot in my mouth.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Aaand this another one of those times I feel like I've stuck my foot in my mouth.
Unless I missed something, it doesn't seem like you said anything wrong!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, it is a glorious morning here.

Welcome to Weekenders DesertTraveler and JulySeaCoast. Congratulations on 6 weeks.

Today is our annual stock take at work. If previous years are anything to go by something strange will turn up.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Here is a little about goat yoga if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HgyPmuAll4
Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm in!

Thanks for the opener Saou and congrats on shotgun Lunar!

Nonsensical, I'm sorry to hear about your brother

Last weekend in the mountains was beautiful. So much positive and to stray from being negative I'll just say there will be some changes made when we go next year. Part of it was staying 6 miles offsite. I'm grateful we were given the chance to stay in a condo free of charge. However, the first night we were there it began to really fog in and rain. The road was, well, what you would expect in a winding mountain road. Driving it was one thing but you get locals behind you who know the road well and ride your butt when you do the speed limit. I was apprehensive about driving back to the condo. Still, what a gorgeous weekend and so many activities. It's always good to be home though.

As for telling people I don't drink here's something I ponder when I think about it.

My husband, who has absolutely no issue with alcohol quit 4 years ago in May. He simply came home one night from his friends with a good glow, woke up the next morning with the cobwebs, and decided after spending a day feeling like that it just wasn't worth it anymore. I asked him if it bothered him to tell people he doesn't drink anymore. He said "Are you kidding? I see it as a badge of courage. Not drinking isn't a weakness, it's a strength!".

Wear your badge of courage proudly this weekend!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Dragon, did you tell your wife about the hidden liquor and your surprising reaction to it?

It would provide good accountability for you and a great way to keep her in the loop.
I would also get rid of it. Your statement about 'safely out of view' reminds me that I would 'forget' my wallet when we got to the car so I could back inside and get it, and also have a "safe" opportunity to take a big pull on the bottle of vodka I had stashed in the garage.

If it isn't there, you won't be tempted.