Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Weekend survival - plan your entertainment. Weekenders 21-23 July

Notices

Weekend survival - plan your entertainment. Weekenders 21-23 July

Old 07-24-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao for the article.....a good wake up call to quit while we're still ahead.....

And thanks for another successful weekend! It makes Monday suck that much less!
Old 07-24-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ugh, just hit a hot key and lost my post!

Anyway, good morning to all!

STDragon, oh yes, those kitty personalities are definitely coming through and....how they love to get into things. All part of the fun

Sao, thanks for the article. It's so disheartening how it's not just alcohol that's celebrated in the U.S., I see situations where the overuse of it is laughed off. I have a long time coworker acquaintance on my FB friends list. He has three, beautiful, small children. He is a runner. He seems to think because he runs marathons and does things that are good for his body that it's going to negate the effects of alcohol. Every weekend his posts are about the hangover he's experiencing from the night before. Not to mention, the last post I saw they were at yet another local brewpub and the remark was something about "let's finish off this 72 hour alcohol adventure!".

All the signs are there, and yet, it's not any of my business and I know that. But..........society celebrates this activity and condones it. It's the right thing to do.

If only they knew.

I'm grateful to be where I am today. Here, safe, and free from doing further harm to my body and from harming others.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Interesting, I googled for Canadian public health reports on alcohol consumption. Costs related to alcohol abuse in Canada was estimated at over $20 billion in 2010. According to the 2015 consumption report. But that include all aspects such as law enforcement and lost productivity.

When I was drinking, LadyBlue, I was also an avid runner (stopped when I quit and hoping to get back into it "someday"). Being a 'Gym Rat' certainly does contribute to ones delusions of invincibility. I know I felt that running was negating the negative health effects of drinking. I used to love to come back after a hard long run and fire back a beer. (Which quickly lead to a few more).
Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Whew! I have not been home long, I've had a very long day today. One of the places I had to go to was near a large reservoir that was completed in 1975. This is called Normanton church and it is below the waterline but a capped base and surrounding wall was built to save it and now it is a popular wedding venue.

This photo was taken today although it looks more like it should be November. A gale was blowing, it was raining and quite cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170724_192752.jpg (32.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

That's a nice picture Sao.
I'm at work this week and they appear to be giving me more work to do. They started a new surgical thing at work and when I asked which consultant would be doing this I was told "your Mr X" which means more work for me.

On the plus side I went shoe shopping at the weekend with my dad of all people. Surprisingly he has good taste in clothes. Except for "jeggings" which he asked me never to wear as he thinks they look cheap. Anyway I couldn't make up my mind between 3 pairs of shoes. I actually wanted to buy the 3 but I felt guilty as I know my dad never bought 3 of anythingfor himself in his life. I went with 2. There are a lot of things going on at home right now. My mothers brother has been saying awful things about my dad and I have been having nightmares. When I told my dad he just said "why are you worried? It's just "locker room talk" and I don't give a damn. "We laughed and I said "do you mean like Trump?" He said "exactly like that". My Gran will be 2 years dead on Saturday and things are going to get worse instead of better I fear.

Anyway we went shopping in Castlebar on Saturday. Unfortunately we got caught up in the local Pride Parade in the town. My father is not against gay people by any means but I could tell he was frustrated stuck in traffic. He turned to me with a laugh and said "a pride parade in Co Mayo. I never thought I would see the day. Anyway I don't know what this is about as they got everything they were looking for". Yeah anyway... I love my new shoes though.

I hope you are all keeping well.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I got a 94.66% on an exam I studied minimally for. I took it for granted I wasn't going to do well and didn't dwell on it, second person done because I basically threw it away. So I miss four out of 75 questions. Highest grade in the class.

Funny though, I haven't told anyone what I got and nobody asked me. So another lady who missed one more question than I did is under the impression she has the highest grade in the class and she didn't. I'm waiting for my moment. She's a bit full of herself at times.

I'll take my boards now! I am so ready.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, good work on those shoes Tetra, my younger daughter seems to spaend most of her money on shoes.

Congratulations on 94.66% Brenda that is amazing. I am sure you are ready.

LadyBlue I hope the kittys are settling in, i'm sure they are a delight.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I slept for 8 straight hours last night, long drives really take it out of me now i'm in my 50's.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

50 is the new 40 Sao, your still a young man.

Brenda, why did you think you'd do poorly on that test? Obviously you know your stuff. Is it self confidence?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Good morning from the middle of the USA.

I've got a lot going on the next month, personally and professionally. Unusual convergence of needs, expectations, and pressures. I'm worried about my ability to perform. Mood is high one moment and low the next. Rampant anxiety.

This may or may not make any sense, it feels like my attention is split along so many alarming and tense lines right now that I have less reserve with which to fight. I am struggling every day again. Feel depressed and sad.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Last edited by BixBees505; 07-25-2017 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Blah blah blah
Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Last edited by BixBees505; 07-25-2017 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Forget it.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hugs bix
XXX
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Congrats Brenda xx
Old 07-25-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I guess it's because I have done so many semesters of nursing school that I know this stuff but I won't feel confident until I have graduated and even then I won't for a while...

I should have graduated as an RN in spring 2016. But I failed the previous semester. And again last summer, when I picked back up where I left off. So then I decided to go the LPN track and that has been tough at times but mostly good, and to be honest, I have learned and applied this stuff for so long now it has become second nature. So I have not had to study this stuff as much as someone who is learning it for the first time would.

But I never got an A on a nursing test on this material before. Cardiopulmonary nursing is very involved. I could work on the floor where I'm training right now.

In fact I impressed my instructor and the RN I was working under today, and prior to this semester, this never would have occurred to me... I noticed a medication order didn't make sense for the patient.. to me..

Edit: On further research, it wasn't right or wrong and arguably the way the doc ordered it might have made more sense for the patient, but we didn't know this at the time..

Anyway they both said oh yeah that makes a lot of sense, let's see if we can get that order changed, very nice catch. I felt very good about myself. lol

Pharmacy couldn't change it though.. our pharmacy does weird things. They sent me 6.5 mg of coumadin.. it comes in several different strengths, 1 mg, 3 mg, 5 mg, 7 mg, they can all be cut in half. The obvious way to do the 6.5 would be either two 3s and a half of a 1, or some other combo of two tabs plus a half tab, right? To add up to 6.5.. They send up... 13 half tablets. I guess it's done by a machine and it felt it was easier to spit out 13 halved 1 mg tabs.

I'm just like... what am I even looking at?

At the beginning of this semester when we were hacked, a student noticed that a patient was getting his meds plus the meds of another patient... he was totally crashing because he had like 28 meds on board and the registered nurses didn't notice something wasn't right about the number of meds, didn't check for compatability.. a student finally did.

Just don't let your loved ones go to the hospital for any reason.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

****, BC. My partner is on Coumadin, for a rare and complex clotting disorder. It is BEYOND frustrating for techs and nurses to be "unsure"...when the NEXT pulmonary embolysm could be "It". "Yeah....whoop...let's increase meds so far..yeah...come back in 3 weeks...so we can check". Scares the effing hell out of me!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for being profane. I am out if my depth here.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Good night all. I think I had better go. Please just forgive me. Talk atcha later.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

(((((((Bix)))))))

I hope you are able to get some soothing rest tonight.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Yeah.. that one requires blood monitoring.

The issue that came up for me wasn't so much in the dosing.. it was still the same dosage. In nursing school we learn to minimize the amount of pills they have to swallow. Uh, would you rather swallow 2 and a half little tablets or 13 tiny pieces. The stupidity of machines.