Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

WEEKENDER thread, no waking up to shame or embarrassment 7-9 July

Notices

WEEKENDER thread, no waking up to shame or embarrassment 7-9 July

Old 07-07-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

On a lighter note.. the plan for the day. I'm gonna stop lollygagging as soon as my coffee cup is empty. Make my bed and put laundry away, see what assistance the mother needs, then work on my care plan and if I have time left I can study. That'll carry me past 9pm easily.

I want to see if I can find garage sales in the neighborhood where I work, so I can stop between 8 and 9.. Just because I haven't hit a single garage sale this year, I never get up early enough. At work I'll get a lot of studying done, hopefully be ready for the test Monday.

Sunday is a half day of work, and if I'm lucky I'll get to swim.. but consistently that hasn't happened because although it is sunny all day while I am work or school, as soon as I get out, it is overcast and rainy and the pool isn't very appealing then. Every. Single. Day.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I'm gonna stop lollygagging
Excellent word! I had to Google it but I am going to try and use it this weekend.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Got through the doctor appt....hadn't had blood work done in quite a while so we'll see how much damage I've done to my liver......having some coffee at the mall (Whaaaat!?!) And gonna shop a little....this is why I don't take time off work....too much opportunity to spend $$$$$
Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Once I got 72 hours sober, I became open to hearing advice on how to recover, but you can't get anywhere while drunk or withdrawing. It's a little like trying to drive with a flat and an empty tank and going "But I have to get to work". You're right, but fix your tire and get some gas first.
This is a good point, BC, and the problem is, even a person with the best of intentions who is drunk or withdrawing is going to feel vastly different physically (and maybe emotionally) when they have gotten somewhat clear of the alcohol and are in a more coherent mental state. For many, it's harder to make the tough decisions when you're no longer slurring your words, or your head isn't pounding anymore.

One of the many problems with alcohol (and drugs) is that there's no instant reset button. To get well, I had to get the 72 or so hours away from the booze to make the rational decision to get myself into a place where I simply no longer had access to it, and I didn't have that crutch to fall back on when I had to start facing reality and making the right decisions. But before that happened I spent many hours and days, drunk or withdrawing, promising myself that "this has to stop" and then forgetting all about that promise when I felt better.

Prayers to all that are still suffering
Old 07-07-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

A week in, I still have brain fog. Told my clinical professor I'd see her in two weeks since next week I am in procedure areas and won't see her on the floor... not thinking that I would see her on campus on Mondays and Thursdays.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi all! I am excited for a good weekend! I have a usual run tomorrow morning, and then a trail run Sunday morning. I love trails, but I'm a bit nervous because even on city streets I tend to fall. I fell 5 times in 1 year. I was not drunk for any of them, so they really hurt! I have been working on picking my feet up better so I don't trip, but the trail might be tricky.

Maybe now that I don't drink at all I will do better???? Fingers crossed!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders applewakesup!

Best of luck on your Sunday trail run.

Brenda you are right about not being able to get anywhere whilst drunk or withdrawing but you can use the memory of those times to reinforce your decision. I had brain fog for about 10 months at least, yours is a young and will recover in full.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I'm going to a new AA Women's Only meeting tonight. I'm hoping to find a sponsor, soon.
Tomorrow I will spend lollygagging at the pool Packing tomorrow night and leaving on Sunday to drive 9 hours for family vacation for a week!
I plan on trying to get to an AA meeting while I'm on vacation.
Have an awesomely sober weekend, SR peeps
Old 07-07-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I am in! A little late but it is before the weekend this time. lol
Old 07-07-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Decided to binge Six Feet Under. Forgot it's where my name came from until I heard it. I went "Hey that's my name" lol
Old 07-07-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Count me in! I do expect a little bit of shame from the pizza I gobbled up though
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Thanks for the intro, Sao. I'm glad those shameful days are over with. Nice to not have those worries anymore.
Quiet weekend around here...thank goodness for air conditioning cause it's hot!
I had a fun early morning with my volunteer work and will be going to sleep early tonight.
See you all tomorrow. Enjoy a sober Friday night -
Old 07-07-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Just home from an absolutely amazing live performance by the North Carolina Symphony playing the music of U2. That was beautiful.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hmm, I always thought lollygag was a British term....

When drinking was the time I was most determined to quit. Getting thru those first 72 I believe is key. My resolve would dwindle as I sobered up.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Hmm, I always thought lollygag was a British term
I know, right? I thought the same thing!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I start three weeks away from work! First order of business will be to get my fence up now that the neighbor has finally cleared away his old one.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I'm glad the guy finally got the show on the road, Dragon!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, good to see you upstairs.

I can't seem to get going this morning.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:18 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, Sao.

I have hard times to get going too - gloomy, rainy, and cold here. Having my first cup of coffee and trying to wake up)
Old 07-08-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

My third sober weekend and 21days sober!
Had a morning walk with the dog and thought about how my weekends seem longer now, they aren't a blur. I used to go in on a Monday feeling absolutely shattered but now I actually get rest, I get stuff done. I enjoy my time off work instead of being in limbo between drunk and hangover.
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend