Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

WEEKENDER thread, no waking up to shame or embarrassment 7-9 July

Notices

WEEKENDER thread, no waking up to shame or embarrassment 7-9 July

Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Just thought of another first! Today I have no work. I'll drive my wife to work AND I'll pick her up after. In the past I would've made her take the bus home 'cause I'd be drinking all day. It's little things like this that make me feel stronger proud of myself.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

On my way to see the consultant and trying to put my "best foot forward". I went to work this morning to talk to my line manager. I told her I would prefer to be at work if possible instead of at home feeling sorry for myself. She said if it's ok with the orthopaedic surgeon then she would be happy to have me there answering the phone. So we will see.

Of course my own consultant -who I work for - came in when I was otherwise engaged. The girls told him I fractured my wrist to which he responded "how did she do that? By slamming the phone down on an angry patient?" I get frustrated the odd time by being roared at on the phone but I would never slam the phone down on anyone.

The cheek of that fellow! I was upstairs telling the manager that I really like my boss and singing his praises and he comes out with that guff!

As my dad said he was trying to add some humour to the situation.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Absolutely, Tetra! That was definitely an attempt at levity.

I'm sure he completely shares your frustration with entitled prima donnas.

I'm sure he was being cheeky FOR you and not against you!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

So fell down the stairs just now right in front of both my adult children. Laundry basket flying and all. Nothing bruised by my ego (and my left wrist, not broken, stairs are carpeted). Beside the embarrassment, I was hoping they wouldn't think I'd been drinking. So I told them I hadn't been but now I'm worried they may think I jumped to my own defense to quickly. Sheesh....
Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hope you're ok STDragon X
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you're not hurt Dragon.

Today got off to a bad start when I discovered an order hadn't been picked up by the courier so I had to drive the ancient company pickup to Enfield which fortunately is only about 8 miles away. I have been playing catch up ever since.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I just wanted to update as a lot of you took the time to send me warmest wishes.

Well I arrived at the office today and every single time someone new walked into the room I had to tell my story all over again. As I was leaving some one said "here's a tip: get to the outpatient clinic way ahead of time. I know your appointment says 2 PM but other wise it will be at least 4 PM". After I sorted my work stuff I decided to head to the other hospital and find this unit and get a paper and something to eat. So I checked in at 12:00 and went off to lunch. I came back and 1:15 and was seen by 1:30. I was seen by the consultant himself. He got a pair of scissors and hacked off the cast. I was saying "I can't look" but when I did look it was just bruising and the swelling has gone down a bit. He looked at my x-rays on the computer and said something about "non displaced something or other". I asked is that good or bad? He said it's very good. You were very lucky. He gave me a choice of a white cast for about 4 weeks or something similar to this thing as pictured below except mine has nothing around the fingers. My fingers are free. I chose the below picture as I can move my thumb and fingers. He gave me a sick cert until Tuesday 18th July and wants to see me again next Monday for a check and repeat x-ray. I asked if I could start typing from next Tuesday? He said @you can and it will be good therapy for you. Start practicing on your laptop at home". Mind you I'm in a bit of pain right now so I don't know if I will be able to do that by Tuesday. But still it's a week away. I'll try to relax if possible and enjoy my time off if I can and I'll worry about the rest when the time comes.

Thank you all for your prayers and wishes. I could feel relief flood from every cell in my body when he said I could go to work Tuesday week. And yes I know I'm very very lucky. My dad says gratitude is an underused gift so from now on I'll try to practice being more grateful.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Dragon, I was really annoyed by my own graceful move last night, I am just glad nobody else was home.. but houses are close enough that if anyone was looking out their upstairs window they saw it. I know my coworker who lives next door to me was having a dinner date so at least she wouldn't have been paying attention!

So I only missed 9 out of 75 on my test today, for an 88%. I'm pretty satisfied with that. I am that much more secure in terms of successfully completing this semester.. two tests to go.. I will do my best but I won't have to stress about passing that part of things.. I just have to focus on clinical, specifically being prepared to give medication.

My biggest motivator to getting and staying sober has been my desire to.. safely practice nursing. I have been kind of irritable lately and fighting the urge to drink, to be honest, I wanted to yesterday and today. It bugs the crap out of me because I have a genuine passion for helping people and a desire to make nursing my career, but that the line between helping people and causing them harm, as thin as that line is to begin with for any nurse, it's even more precarious for me because I know that all I have to do to make the latter happen is pick up a drink, get back in that habit, come to work hungover.. I can not be distracted or lackadaisical or anything other than my best in this profession.

I have no point to saying all of this, just venting, because I am just so irritated that after everything, I am still fighting urges. I wish I wanted to be a librarian. Or a florist.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I am also really irritated that as much as the LPN program SHOULD be a review for me after having completed so much of the RN program before dropping out, I am still learned things for the first time that just went over my head before. I look back at how I studied for the same chapter exams.. and I'm like.. what was I EVEN THINKING??? I was studying all the wrong stuff. I'm just glad I'm finally starting to get it. But if I had been focused from the beginning I could have been graduated and working for a year now. It just should never have been this hard for me, I always had the potential and always got in my own way.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I never have time to make phone calls during normal week day business hours.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Darkness falls in Saoutchikland, i'm off to bed .

Congratulations Weekenders for not falling off, over or down something for, let me see...a good couple of hours.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Nice closer Sao. G'night all.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

My first job was for a florist, delivery and general grunt work around the shop. I was 16, just got my license. I soon lost that job when I ran the bosses Chrysler l'Baron into a pole. (Not due to drinking, just an inexperienced driver fooling around).
Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning y'all.
"My biggest motivator to getting and staying sober has been my desire to.. safely practice nursing." sounds like you well on your way to being a great LPN. Quickly now! shout out those insulin onset and peak times solder.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
saoutchik

My ex wife backed into a bollard 10 minutes after passing her driving test (this was a long time before I met her) She was too scared to tell her dad so she pretended she had lent it to a friend while it was fixed, fortunately it was only minor damage..
Old 07-11-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Good morning. I missed our whole weekender thread, this time, except to "thank" a few earlier on. But I am here and already looking forward to the next weekender thread.

I read a lot more than I post these days. Kind of turned inward. I'm working very well and very hard at my job each day, for which I am glad and feeling lucky.

I'm suddenly having night after night of drinking dreams. Thought I was done with those. What's up with that? Maybe it is just due to sleeping rather poorly and lightly. I'm worried about people and things in my life.

I sure do enjoy the company and commiseration with the everyday on this thread. Such a great bunch of people.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Oh, and special shout out to those who are further down the road of successful sobriety who spent the time and pay the attention to make threads like Weekender what they are. You know who you are.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Drinking dreams do seem to occur in little clusters Bix or at least they do for me. Since it was once the biggest thing in my life I am surprised I don't have more of them.

I am still at at work, I have been discretely watching the tennis while pretending to work. Kinda stressful.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Trying to get back in at my previous psychiatrist, but waiting for scheduler to call me back about a billing concern I have.. Why she didn't know is beyond me.. but if the answer is a deterrent from going back there, I will go to the doctor I saw before that.. before I moved to Maryland, so that's going back to.. 2009! My counselor there would be excited to catch up, but it is a bit of a drive for me.

But this will be a good thing. I am done being angry and depressed all the time.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

My moods have been up and down all day. I woke up around 9 AM and had no clue what to do with myself. My dad suggested going for a walk which I did. I have a pile of books to read but can't seem to focus on anything. I don't know if I can take 4 or more weeks of this and I ask myself from time to time "how could you have been so stupid". I can't even tie my own shoe laces now. Although I have noticed a change since the weekend. Saturday morning I went to A&E and I was in so much pain I was sure that they were going to chop my arm off. Then she produced the sling and I cried even harder. Sunday I went to Tesco with my dad and I couldn't even push the cart with my left hand. We went out for bread and milk today I can push the cart today and pick up small objects. I added a wedge of cheese and a small chocolate cake to the cart and said "look dad I can carry small items!" He said "yeah you can especially when it's something you like". Thanks for keeping a sense of humour dad.

I had some time to think today and I've been through quite a lot in the past year. First my job and re-entering the world of work, and the phenomenal stress associated with that. Then finding a new place to live that wasn't my parents house and the whole scabies/bed bug saga which dragged on for ages. Then the rows over my Grandmas will which is still far from settled even though it's coming up to her 2 year anniversary. I suppose it's not surprising that I felt slightly burnt out. I hope I will get used to this extra thing on my arm in time.