Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
DesertDawg

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Once I got 72 hours sober, I became open to hearing advice on how to recover, but you can't get anywhere while drunk or withdrawing. It's a little like trying to drive with a flat and an empty tank and going "But I have to get to work". You're right, but fix your tire and get some gas first.
This is a good point, BC, and the problem is, even a person with the best of intentions who is drunk or withdrawing is going to feel vastly different physically (and maybe emotionally) when they have gotten somewhat clear of the alcohol and are in a more coherent mental state. For many, it's harder to make the tough decisions when you're no longer slurring your words, or your head isn't pounding anymore.

One of the many problems with alcohol (and drugs) is that there's no instant reset button. To get well, I had to get the 72 or so hours away from the booze to make the rational decision to get myself into a place where I simply no longer had access to it, and I didn't have that crutch to fall back on when I had to start facing reality and making the right decisions. But before that happened I spent many hours and days, drunk or withdrawing, promising myself that "this has to stop" and then forgetting all about that promise when I felt better.

Prayers to all that are still suffering