Notices

Post ante vos pick sursum Weekender 24-26 Feb

Old 02-27-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

G'night everyone. Been at work all day, read your posts, off to bed now.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

:You_Rock
Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I ALWAYS leave clinical on Monday with a HORRIBLE headache! I don't know what it is.

We went up to the dementia unit to help feed residents lunch.. I got a tough one. If I could get her to do anything, it was little nips I wouldn't count as actual bites of food. She would sing and tell me I was pretty. The staff told me the only way she eats anything is if I dump half a sugar packet on each bite of food! I feel like she was mostly licking the sugar off the top lol

It was hard. I thought I didn't mind feeding, but I've never had people this uncooperative. Last week I had one that would barely open her eyes the entire time. I'm like, How do I know she's even staying awake??

I need to be a more outgoing assertive person for this. Even getting my two assigned residents up and moving at 7 was hard. I HATE waking people. And there is a way to do it that is nice and still effective, but the way I go about it, I think I make it easy for them to ignore me and do whatever they want. And I feel bad but in a nursing home you have to get the residents up and washed and dressed and then pass breakfast trays because the nurse is passing meds and then they have appointments like pt and before you know it it's lunch time.. It's surprising how fast paced it seems to be

Brenda, thank you, this work is so important. You will develop relationships and it does get easier as you all get to know each other in some ways, and the shifts become routine. I understand that many of your charges cannot communicate and it can really try the patience, you sound like you are getting into the groove. Knowing that "there by the grace of god go I....,"helps me.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Mklove!

Congratulations on going to the gym Brenda.

This weeks recycling is done for another week. It is often the only time I see or speak to some of my Neighbours although they are friendly enough when I do meet them. People can be quite insular in London.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, is the traditional feast day before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. Lent - the 40 days leading up to Easter - was traditionally a time of fasting and on Shrove Tuesday, Anglo-Saxon Christians went to confession and were "shriven" (absolved from their sins). A bell would be rung to call people to confession. This came to be called the “Pancake Bell” and is still rung today.
Shrove Tuesday always falls 47 days before Easter Sunday, so the date varies from year to year and falls between February 3 and March 9. In 2017 Shrove Tuesday will fall on the 28th February.
Shrove Tuesday was the last opportunity to use up eggs and fats before embarking on the Lenten fast and pancakes are the perfect way of using up these ingredients.
A pancake is a thin, flat cake, made of batter and fried in a frying pan. A traditional English pancake is very thin and is served immediately. Golden syrup or lemon juice and caster sugar are the usual toppings for pancakes.

The pancake has a very long history and featured in cookery books as far back as 1439. The tradition of tossing or flipping them is almost as old: "And every man and maide doe take their turne, And tosse their Pancakes up for feare they burne." (Pasquil's Palin, 1619).
The ingredients for pancakes can be seen to symbolise four points of significance at this time of year:
Eggs ~ Creation
Flour ~ The staff of life
Salt ~ Wholesomeness
Milk ~ Purity
To make 8 or so pancakes you will need 8oz plain flour, 2 large eggs, 1 pint milk, salt.
Mix all together and whisk well. Leave to stand for 30 minutes. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, pour in enough batter to cover the base of the pan and let it cook until the base of the pancake has browned. Then shake the pan to loosen the pancake and flip the pancake over to brown the other side.

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Pancake-Day/

This is my ultimate comfort food, they are lovely as a treat for breakfast or brunch (I am sure I probably had them for dinner at some stage too). They are quick and easy to make but whoever you are making them for will love them!

I think I have a pancake problem.

The problem is my stomach is too small to allow me to eat pancakes all day, every day.
NOM!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shrove-Tuesday-Pancakes.jpg (78.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Dee74; 02-28-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks for that info Tetra, Now I want pancakes. (Maybe for supper!).

Good morning, happy Shrove Tuesday everyone.

I live by the train line that takes grains and supplies up to the Seagram's distillery north of the city. (Just past Gimili Manitoba). Must've been an urgent shipment, the train doesn't normally pass in the middle of the night unless there is a strike. In a past life I would been cursing that train thru my hangover.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I live by the train line that takes grains and supplies up to the Seagram's distillery north of the city. (Just past Gimili Manitoba). Must've been an urgent shipment, the train doesn't normally pass in the middle of the night unless there is a strike. In a past life I would been cursing that train thru my hangover.
LOL! That is kind of ironic as that shipment will be causing other people to have a hangover at some point in the future.

Today is markedly better than yesterday, not having to avoid my boss for one. Originally the guy who was going to upholster the ball chair was going to be doing his stuff next week. Now he wants to do it Friday putting me under pressure to get it painted before then. At least it will be over and done with I suppose. I will have to stay late tonight and finish the prep.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Good morning. I am far behind in weekenders. Been reading and posting rather randomly, and with a scattered mind. I hope everyone is doing well.

Today is a weird day for me. Passing off work tasks that can't wait to others on my team. Cancelling a couple of personal appointments, packing up, and heading to be with family while we deal with a new health issue. This is not good timing to be away and distracted from my job. But I need to help my family.

It is important to me to check in here on SR, for continuity, support, understanding. It will probably be late tonight before I am back online.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

I just read the last two pages Bix. I'm even further behind than you are. Can't even remember if I checked in last Thursday.

Kev, the therapist sounds like she's not helpful at all and agree with Brenda. How could a therapist specializing in alcoholism suggest going to a bar and having A beer with friends? It's never just ONE beer so I think she doesn't know what she is talking about.

Sao, that chair is really coming along. A chair for Chairman Sao?

A woman I knew from high school died over the weekend. I knew her from high school but became friends with her in the past 9 months through AA. Hard drinking wrecks our bodies. She just made a year sober. But her health issues were too much.

What I took away from this was that if I like someone as a friend, reach out more. I'm never so busy that I can't make a phone call or send a text. Life is short. Work will always be there. People are what matter.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Tetra, I saw that article on the Historic UK website too. Thanks for reminding me about that. Good magazine for information. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Does anyone else ever get tired of this life? I'm constantly exhausted. I had blood tests a while back which came back normal. I have been forgetting little things lately which is starting to concern me.

I often feel like I'm going to be struggling all my life.

I'm not sure if it is absent mindedness or if there is something really wrong.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Omg...I was just going to ask tetra if she wrote that post or "borrowed " it from elsewhere. Then I saw Ruby's post. I think it's all good..and i appreciate the information. ..but we should give credit to the actual writer or source, rather than posting as if we wrote it. At least put it in quotes. Just sayin. And I think we've had this discussion before.
I love pancakes!!!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

My apologies. I do appreciate the slap on the wrist.

And I do know that we have to include a source when posting things from elsewhere. I was in a hurry this morning and it slipped my mind. Apologies once again.

I'm not sure if my tiredness is work related or not. I had booked a child for surgery this afternoon but because she is so close to 12 years old they were refusing to take her over at pediatrics. So I booked her to the day ward but they called me and said "we can't take her here as she is still 11". So I get stuck in the middle.

"Going from Obama to Trump was like going from an iPhone to 2 soup cans and some string".

Please note that I do not have a source for the above.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I used to get a lot of pleasure from small things but I think this job is squeezing the life out of me. I don’t feel the same about things anymore.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I don't do very well with mismatches in verbal communication skills? lol That's the best way I can categorize my socially awkward moment of the day.

My clinical instructor described a client's blood pressures as "brittle". I didn't understand this adjective in that context. I said "blood pressures are what?" She just repeated the word, thinking I didn't understand the word, but she didn't clarify what she meant.

Later in post conference, she commented on how quiet I was, and then pointed out to everyone that I did correct her that morning. And I was really tired and I just sort of looked at her, eyes glazed over, and just waited for her to elaborate because I had NO clue what she could be referring to.

She said I corrected her pronunciation of the word brittle.
I don't care how you pronounce it, and I know what the word means, it means something falls apart or breaks. Like peanut brittle? Or like my nails are brittle? They break.
How are blood pressures brittle?
Eventually I figured out she was trying to say the blood pressures tend to FLUCTUATE.

The word of the day, kids, is FLUCTUATE.
To rise and fall irregularly in number or amount.

Brittle: hard but liable to break or shatter easily; a candy made from nuts and set melted sugar.

Blood pressures? Probably the first one.

And I get looked at like I'm a dummy for not understanding what someone is saying. USE THE WORD FOR WHAT IT IS YOU ARE ACTUALLY TRYING TO SAY!

Okay, I'm done. I can't cope.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Brenda, that's pretty funny although I'm sure the instructor's passive aggressive commentary wasn't. Brittle blood pressure? Sheesh. I would have been confused too.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Brenda, that's pretty funny although I'm sure the instructor's passive aggressive commentary wasn't. Brittle blood pressure? Sheesh. I would have been confused too.
Truly, she was being friendly and trying to get me to join in the group bantering a little bit more, cause there is a lot of that goes on, she's not as serious as other instructors.. but she can be a little ditzy.

I will add that if it were just chitchat about nothing during a coffee break that would be different. If I'm about to go take a client's blood pressure and you're trying to relay information about their vital signs, I need to understand what you're trying to say.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Good to hear that she was being friendly and bantering. I somehow misread that she was sort of picking on you. Sometimes I'm a little brittle
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

No, totally understandable.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I have just left work, stayed late in order to try and get that ball chair ready for painting.

Merde! I'll pleut.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Actually I think 'jaded' is the word.
I fear my work is getting sloppy but sometimes things happen and I'm not sure if it was down to me or someone else.
A lot of people there seem to know exactly how much work they have to do according to their contract and God forbid they go beyond that.
I was also surprised this week to see a colleague booking in one of her family members for some kind of tests. She knows people there so she got the doctor to sign off and this person got to jump the queue. Bear in mind that the waiting lists for everything are extremely long. Is this how things work?

I would like a holiday. I haven't left this country for almost 3 years.