Notices

Post ante vos pick sursum Weekender 24-26 Feb

Old 02-26-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Yes it's very common here in Europe to speak several languages. Most jobs for which you have to have a university degree require that you're somewhat fluent in English. And then of course you have to speak your countrie's language.

I wish my French was better, I had already booked a course at university but I only had one year to complete it but my drinking and some kidney surgery got in the way, so I couldn't finish in time.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I'd like to learn more Spanish and then I could move to the southwest.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Sao, I'm intrigued to find out more about that chair of yours! I'm a huge DIY fan myself and built a huge table in a rustic/industrial style last year plus I made my boyfriend an adjustable drawing board for Christmas. Did you post a photo in last week's weekender?

Julia, I'm fluent in English, Swedish and German. I also speak French on an intermediate level plus I understand Dutch, Danish and Norwegian (but can't speak it). I think Spanish is such a useful language, maybe I'll give it a try once I'm done with studying. Although I prefer the sound of Italian but I think Spanish would be the better choice, from a rational point of view.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

kevlarsjal - that is sooo awesome on the languages! I am very impressed. I think Spanish seems like a very easy one to learn, knowing English - but finding time, having no one to speak to on a regular basis, and my brain not really working that way the best (I am a math/science person), are all challenges. Spanish as a second language is definitely the most useful here in the US. I know some jobs I was looking for in past years in the South wanted you to be able to speak both. I really want to be an effective translator someday. Each time I go, I know a little bit more.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Thanks! I have to admit, it's not too hard to speak these three, in the end they're all Germanic languages. And although being a math/science person myself I find it easy to learn languages. I find they're all logical in their own way and I love complex systems and recognising patterns. I'd also love to really challenge myself by learning a language that's completely different and maybe even has a different alphabet. I'm thinking of Finnish (same alphabet but very unique and therefore difficult to learn and I would have covered the whole of mainland Northern Europe language wise) or even Russian or Japanese.

And for getting good practise when learning a language I can recommend the concept of language-tandems. We have sites where you can search for people from your area who are native speakers of the language you want to learn and are looking for someone to help them with your mother tongue. I found that very useful and you get to know a lot about their countries culture too.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Here's a lil dose of the American Southwest for ya, Brenda. Just got back from 6 Weeks of RV Trailer Camping around dem parts.

We toured this Pueblo nearby a Mineral Hot Springs Resort we used as Base Camp for 3 Weeks. Simply an amazing Story! This Gent was the ultimate Recycler. Kinda puts in perspective non-issues, like getting ticked off about slow WiFi, or someone cutting me off in Traffic. About nuffin' gets to me in Sobriety anyway...

- Cabot Yerxa's Pueblo -
Old 02-26-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I should have started practicing with my old coworker, but he got a new job as an interpreter. I taught him some English though. He was looking at a text from a friend and he asks me 'What does DIP mean?' I gave him a few different possibilities, then he says 'He call me dip ****'.. It's like a dumb ass, I told him. he understood that. lol
Old 02-26-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

I have never been out there, it just looks so beautiful. I have been to San Antonio Texas in July though and I loved it. I'd like to visit New Mexico.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you MesaMan!

kevlarsjal, I did not post a photo last week, as you can see it is in a pretty raw state at the moment as I have only repaired all the cracks and splits.

Incidently I must stop calling it an egg chair, it is actually the more rounded ball or globe chair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170226_215535.jpg (45.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-26-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

I speak five hundred million languages
Old 02-26-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sunday night here,
hope you all made it through, not too far to go till the regular monday morning routine.

Saving sounds good sober finances helps me sleep at night.
Investing and paying into retirement gives the future me the gift of not having to worry about being completely on the bread line when i'm older nor technology advancing beyond my abillity to maintain an interest at work.

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-26-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Well I'm back at my place. I don't like it here. I can feel my mood go down hill rapidly. My friend works for a property management company. She says May would be the best time to look for a new place when the students will be off for the summer.

Anyway it suits me better to spend one night with my parents and not two so I got the bus on Saturday. I hadn't seen or spoken to my mom for about 10 days after the way she abused me on the phone. She confuses me though. When I arrived at the house she had made my favourite dinner and she had put the heat on in my room so it would be cosy. She said "I have not heard from you in ages". I just told her that I didn't want to talk to her after the way she attacked me. She got embarassed and said "I didn't. It was in your imagination" and busied herself with the dessert. I think my dad had already told her she was well out of order. My therapist told me it's important for me to express my feelings so I did that. So she knows she was wrong so I'll let it go now.

As I left tonight she said "you don't have to come home every weekend". I laughed a lot at that. It is very different to what she used to say to me "you will never cope on your own". I think what she meant is that I don't have a car so when I do visit my dad has to pick me up at the bus stop in the bad weather and it is very stormy again tonight. My dad said "of course you know that you are welcome anytime". Anyway suits me!!

I can’t decide what to read tonight. I was going to read a Swedish crime novel I bought until I read a review of it in today's paper. I thought Swedish crime novels were usually surpringly good. Like I always thought that the Swiss made the best chocolate in the world until I visited Belgium and discovered that honour goes to the Belgians. Anyway I hope you all have a nice week ahead.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
I speak five hundred million languages
No one said they had to be languages that others understand!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad the home visit wentvOK Tetra.

Knowing my luck I would likely have bought Swedish chocolate and Belgium crime novels.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

I am not looking forward to getting up at 6am. I need to shower when I get home tonight at 10, and hopefully asleep by midnight.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

There's nothing wrong with Swedish chocolate (marabou is quite nice actually) and Belgium crime novels, Sao and I'd love to see the finished chair project!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

I wonder if I have a headache because I've been staring at a computer screen all day?
Old 02-26-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

I can get a headache very quickly when working on the computer, especially when the brightness is too high.

Have you been drinking enough water? Sometimes I tend to forget to keep hydrated when I really focus on work.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Good evening, sober buds...movie was great, dinner great, too. Home and getting ready for bed. Going to make myself keep reading the two books for my work, every night, until I kill them.

So, the weekend is done for me. Pleasure spending some of it here on SR, and this thread especially. I got a lot out of Sportdeck's and Leviathan's threads out on the main Newcomers board - if you didn't see them, go enjoy. Did my heart and my hope a lot of good.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Monday morning here and a very damp and dingy one at that but at least I'm not hungover filled with regrets for another wasted weekend.