Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Mklove

:You_Rock
Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I ALWAYS leave clinical on Monday with a HORRIBLE headache! I don't know what it is.

We went up to the dementia unit to help feed residents lunch.. I got a tough one. If I could get her to do anything, it was little nips I wouldn't count as actual bites of food. She would sing and tell me I was pretty. The staff told me the only way she eats anything is if I dump half a sugar packet on each bite of food! I feel like she was mostly licking the sugar off the top lol

It was hard. I thought I didn't mind feeding, but I've never had people this uncooperative. Last week I had one that would barely open her eyes the entire time. I'm like, How do I know she's even staying awake??

I need to be a more outgoing assertive person for this. Even getting my two assigned residents up and moving at 7 was hard. I HATE waking people. And there is a way to do it that is nice and still effective, but the way I go about it, I think I make it easy for them to ignore me and do whatever they want. And I feel bad but in a nursing home you have to get the residents up and washed and dressed and then pass breakfast trays because the nurse is passing meds and then they have appointments like pt and before you know it it's lunch time.. It's surprising how fast paced it seems to be

Brenda, thank you, this work is so important. You will develop relationships and it does get easier as you all get to know each other in some ways, and the shifts become routine. I understand that many of your charges cannot communicate and it can really try the patience, you sound like you are getting into the groove. Knowing that "there by the grace of god go I....,"helps me.