Notices

Be committed Weekender 17-19 Feb

Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks for the opener Sao, congrats on the photo finish MB. I have a visual of the quest for shotgun like when I was a kid. Two people running for the front passenger seat and landing in it at the same time. Tetra. I think you share because your post was in the same exact minute.

Great to see everyone on board!

Weekends in the beginning were hard. So, my plan which still is in effect months later is the same. DO SOMETHING. Fridays are usually date night where we catch up on the DVRd shows. Saturdays are kind of up in the air but this week noooooo, we are watching the new release of "Arrival". I'm thinking of making lasagna. Sunday morning is volunteer time at the recovery center so who the heck would drink on a Saturday night and have to be somewhere by 8am, especially a recovery center!

I've come to know that the words "recovery" and "spontaneity" are enemies. Never invite them into your house together because there will be a treacherous fight you don't want to witness, plan now!

Have a great day everyone
Old 02-16-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Sao, to my taste OP wasn't long at all - just the right length to convey the message.
I agree!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That was more than an old car, sao. That beautiful piece of metal and leather was a work of art. I missed the ending to the story. You sold it, and made a ton of money, right?

Lists. Lists are my friend in sobriety - especially early-on. Everyone always says, "Have a plan," and I think planning the whole day is really good in early days. The next morning I would rewrite it so it was a new list.

The only important things in early days were:
1. Don't pick up a drink.
2. Do something recovery related (posting here, meetings, reading recovery stuff.)
3. Eat nutritious food.
4. Get a little exercise.

in
Old 02-16-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

IN!!

Sao, the OP is perfect length. We want to read a topic and ponder a bit.

I was thinking yesterday that I find myself enjoying being a student of my own sobriety. I'm still so early in recovery that this in itself seems quite the project to me, and all other endeavors are considered in support my uber-project of sobriety.

In my neck of the woods, it is time for me to assess beehives. I lost my beekeeping friend to a cross country move...and my back is not what it was a few years ago. I've been dreaming up ingenious (?) ways to hoist the hive bodies one by one with the lift power coming from a winch mounted on my four wheeler. Still in design, and I'm sure Rube Goldberg will be proud when I'm done.

All that to say....I have a lot of projects that got dropped and neglected two or three years ago. As my energy returns and brain opens up and clears (oh blessing), I am able to tackle some of them.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Great OP, Sao, thanks.

When I first got sober I was working so hard on just being sober that I didn't really dive in to too many projects. Plus, I didn't want to overwhelm myself, and set myself up for exhaustion. I was happy with small accomplishments like rearranging a closet or updating a bathroom with new shower curtain and towels. But now, over 2 years in, I'm thinking about bigger projects. I have the energy to do more (but not necessarily the time!) so I'm planning a few things to do on weekends. Like painting rooms, getting my flower gardens in order come spring, and finding a volunteering gig. Keeping busy is easy enough for me, but a lot of what keeps my busy is just the daily stuff that has to be done. I'm craving something more creative and fulfilling.

Like Bim said, lists are your friend, especially in early sobriety. Your list might have only 4-5 things on it, but you will get such satisfaction crossing those things off your list. A far cry from the drinking days when nothing much constructive happened. Make sure to include some just plain fun things on your list! Go to the movies. Take a kid to the park. Have coffee with a friend. Go to a sporting event (if that doesn't hold too many drinking associations for you). You get the idea. It's a big world out there. Get out and enjoy it!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Lists. Lists are my friend in sobriety - especially early-on. Everyone always says, "Have a plan," and I think planning the whole day is really good in early days. The next morning I would rewrite it so it was a new list.
^^^^exactly
Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

MLD51, you sound so grounded. I aspire to that. Yes...more creativity and fulfillment beyond the "have tos" !!

I am still in digging out and clearing wreckage, mostly...but I don't want my bees to die or move out, so checking in on them soon is actually sort of a have to.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

in for the weekend!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Nearly shaken off this cold... 5 weeks and counting!
hope everyone is ok.
Hugs all round
XX
Old 02-16-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm in!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
That was more than an old car, sao. That beautiful piece of metal and leather was a work of art. I missed the ending to the story. You sold it, and made a ton of money, right?
Thank you biminiblue, there is no ending just yet as I still own it but I have had a monster of an offer from a Swiss guy who really knows his history so if I do sell (unfortunately i will have to) it will be in good hands

Here it is in a place called Kew Gardens last summer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170216_185227.jpg (37.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Wow, Sao. She is stunning!!! Does its color have a particular name? Love it!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's got to be Midnight Blue, amirite? (I'm thinking prolly not biminiblue)

She will love it in Switzerland!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you both for asking, back in the 1960's it was called Veridian Blue. This is similar but with a more modern take comprising of Manganese and Cobalt Oxide to give it a deeper look. It took a few mixes before i was satisfied.

From now on I shall call it Midnightbimini
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170216_191053.jpg (20.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm in, too.

I plan to lie in in the morning (no work on Fridays), and have a grocery order coming early afternoon. I plan to cook for the week ahead. Not sure what yet; but things to take to work for lunches, and to have in the fridge to pick on in the evenings until my appetite gets better.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Yes!

Midnightbimini she is!

I am so happy for her - Switzerland sounds like a right place for this beauty.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Have refused a night out this weekend, it would be like torture so why bother!

Might treat myself to a fish and chips takeaway Saturday night!!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am SOOOO IN!!!

Thanks for the OP Sao, and the car is beautiful!

Bix- the meditation thing I did was from "the honest guys". It was my first one, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I just searched "mindful meditation" on youtube and it was the first 1 or 2 that came up.

It is amazing what a few days can do. Went from despair to hope.

I listened to a church podcast that I like today in the car, and there was a guest speaker who was a big pastor that lost his job last july due to alcohol abuse and went to rehab. Was like it was there just for me today. Had me in tears. Good tears. Was such a blessing.

I am feeling free.

Happy Thursday, Weekenders.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Weekenders Thread SueDenim. In the early days I ate lots of sweet and sugary food, not good for me but still a lot better than booze and it took the edge off of my cravings

Fish and Chips is a possibility for me too this weekend Trees
Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I would love to find a good place to take out fish and chips. All the good places close in the winter. Imagine that, in Maine!