Notices

What's the best/worst of the first few weeks?

Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's the best/worst of the first few weeks?

I am newly on my sober journey (1st week). Looking for input from those who are further along that me.

What was the good/bad/ugly of your first few weeks/months?

What kind of things did you notice quickly physically/mentally/emotionally?

I am interested to learn what things might be in store that I haven't anticipated, and what things I can look forward to.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

I came from a very deep hole I'd dug for myself so everywhere was up. The very best was seeing the many choices in the new life and the hardest was to experience stepping into them. Dealing with life in sobriety is sometimes easy sometimes hard. It's a bit like being born again and learning to walk all over again. A good thing there is learning to trust the techniques learnt to deal with it. Mostly 'it'll pass' and 'one step at a time'.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
All is Change

Another thing I'd like to add to that. I have learnt not to be afraid of my feelings and to trust the process of letting go of them. Faith has a place in that. Generally I find that I never get more to deal with than I can deal with. Even though sometimes it does not seem so which is where faith comes in handy.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was very (VERY) sick when I quit. The first five or so weeks are somewhat of a blur- in fact, my beloved gently inquired yesterday (on my one year anniversary) what it was like when I quit. I was able to share things, and know that I am grateful that I really don't remember a lot - being asked to remember was a good thing as it reinforced how ugly it was and honoring that process is important.

Physically, I had pretty much all the physical problems of immediate (severe) withdrawal and subsequent PAWS. I had horrible nightmares, night sweats, leg seizures, aphasia, spatial and balance difficulties. headaches, nausea and vomiting, trouble eating (including chewing and swallowing), the need to immediately lie down and sleep, incontinence and diarrhea....I could go on because I sure I forgot stuff. And I didn't even think about drinking, the idea was so repulsive. I have also had zero cravings, to which I attribute my problem being removed (AA) and....it was keep drinking or die so once I went cold turkey, having no idea what was on the other side but knowing I had to go there, there was no turning back.I realize I am likely an extreme example and as a 5'7" woman of about 115 lbs at the time (about 125 now), my body suffered so much that many people wouldn't make it through. I am grateful for every bit of the suffering I went through quitting- a few months of that, compared to the rest of my life - peanuts.

Oh, and a hard time concentrating too, to say the least.

I saw a big turnaround about 100 days.

Practically speaking...I saw my drs, righted meds, and went to about 82 meetings in 90 days. I drank a ton of fluids and started eating. I made to do lists that initially included simple things like shower, eat twice, take the dog out. That basic.

Frankly, it is a miracle I lived long enough to quit, and that I am healthy (from the brink of cirrhosis and more), strong and living a wonderful (AA-dedicated) life, at 366 days.

If I can come back (my everywhere was up, too, as Grymt said) - anyone can.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The good was that in short order I was sleeping well and eating normally. Those are 2 necessities in life. The bad/ugly was boredom, and from the boredom I would get cranky. Amazingly the boredom goes away and its a relief. That is when you truly feel free again.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The good: the sense of accomplishment waking up every morning knowing that I added one more day to the longest sober period I had in over 20 years; not having to lie to myself every single day that today would be the day; amazingly vivid dreams; better return on investment from exercise; an almost instantaneous love of ice cream and other sweets that I hadn't enjoyed in over 20 years.

The bad: the change of habit, especially when I was in a location where it was always my routine to get a drink (this, of course, covered a LOT of places); difficult falling asleep; some concentration issues; finding alternative ways (mostly exercise) to deal with anxiety.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Physically, one of the immediate effects of quitting for me was being able to really sleep for the first time in years. Another effect was that my long-standing intestinal issues, which had been diagnosed as IBS, got better quickly, and have now disappeared completely. The brain fog cleared.

Mentally - at first I was terrified of what sobriety was going to be like. What would I do besides drink? Who would my friends be? How were people going to judge me? Who would I be? I had no idea who I really was anymore. I had spent so much time hating myself that I was afraid to face the real me. What if I still didn't like myself sober? Would I still have a social life? Would I be horribly bored?

Most of those fears dissipated fairly quickly. I'd say within a month or two my confidence started to return. My outlook on life changed a lot - due to working hard on a plan and figuring out who to spend time with, and who not to. I took a lot of action - and that left little time to be bored. I was in treatment. I was going to AA. I was spending more time taking care of my family and home. I discovered I was actually more bored when I was drinking. Well, maybe the word is ennui. Sitting on a barstool or drinking wine at home left me feeling so empty and hopeless. In sobriety, I found a peace and serenity I never thought I'd have. And a new determination to live a clean, simple life, free of drama and complications (as much as possible - life is still life).

I seem to have written a novel. Sorry. My main point is - it gets better. The early days are hard. It gets easier.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you ALL!!! Above all, each of your responses has shown me that being sober is BETTER than drinking.

I appreciate the time you've taken to share your experiences with me!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good:

Waking up without that horrible sick feeling
Remembering with clarity the night before
A gradual lessening of that exhausting obsession to drink (no more coming home and planning how many drinks, where to get the drinks, how to hide it, etc. etc)
Clear eyes, noticeably less puffiness, better breath, hair and skin (for me this started to happen as early as three days into sobriety)
Lower blood pressure, weight loss
The noticeable reduction of tension in your household due to the fact you are not drinking.
A feeling of pride at your accomplishment (I had forgotten what that felt like)

The difficult:

Mood swings...OMG that was tough. For me it started to calm down at about 60 days. Still a bit of a struggle but I am better equipped to deal with it thanks to not drinking.
Feeling "left out" - unfair resentment towards others
Nervousness/agitation at going to places where you used to drink.
Feeling overwhelmed about "never drinking again" - try not to get yourself get caught in this self-defeating thought process. Focus on the day at hand.

I feel there are far more good things to sobriety than bad! By a longshot. Congrats on a week RuralJuror, that is great. I hope you keep posting!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I was kinda happy to stop gagging when I would brush my teeth in the morning.

I experienced increased anxiety for a couple of months. It comes with the territory - and punching through that to the other side where my lowest anxiety levels in decades was waiting was pretty darn awesome.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the best got my taxes done.. hahaha got the house cleaned.. want to dig my garden... when I started at being balanced.. nothing worked. slept cried and felt sick.. that was 9 years ago..

worst.. had a drink on Sat night to put me to sleep. had a terrible thing I had to be part of and the person died in my care.... on Sunday my leg swelled up from the wine.... will never never do that again ever no matter what..
Old 02-22-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The best was the clarity, and the hugely satisfying feeling of accomplishing a step-by-step return to a rewarding life: straightening up my flat, my finances, my health ... and doing my job properly for the first time in ages.

The worst was the feeling sometimes of being off-balance. I had some anxiety at a couple of work functions that I later on realised was an issue re. anxiety that I had masked for years with alcohol. It has smoothed out over time. I now know what works for me and what doesn't to overcome feelings of anxiety.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess the worst part was the insomnia.. The best part was getting Me back.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The best for me was getting my mind back, at 52 days now and feeling better by the day.

The worst was the crazy thoughts, insomnia, non cogitative performance, feeling totally crap and being dry drunk.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I was very (VERY) sick when I quit. The first five or so weeks are somewhat of a blur- in fact, my beloved gently inquired yesterday (on my one year anniversary) what it was like when I quit. I was able to share things, and know that I am grateful that I really don't remember a lot - being asked to remember was a good thing as it reinforced how ugly it was and honoring that process is important.

Physically, I had pretty much all the physical problems of immediate (severe) withdrawal and subsequent PAWS. I had horrible nightmares, night sweats, leg seizures, aphasia, spatial and balance difficulties. headaches, nausea and vomiting, trouble eating (including chewing and swallowing), the need to immediately lie down and sleep, incontinence and diarrhea....I could go on because I sure I forgot stuff. And I didn't even think about drinking, the idea was so repulsive. I have also had zero cravings, to which I attribute my problem being removed (AA) and....it was keep drinking or die so once I went cold turkey, having no idea what was on the other side but knowing I had to go there, there was no turning back.I realize I am likely an extreme example and as a 5'7" woman of about 115 lbs at the time (about 125 now), my body suffered so much that many people wouldn't make it through. I am grateful for every bit of the suffering I went through quitting- a few months of that, compared to the rest of my life - peanuts.

Oh, and a hard time concentrating too, to say the least.

I saw a big turnaround about 100 days.

Practically speaking...I saw my drs, righted meds, and went to about 82 meetings in 90 days. I drank a ton of fluids and started eating. I made to do lists that initially included simple things like shower, eat twice, take the dog out. That basic.

Frankly, it is a miracle I lived long enough to quit, and that I am healthy (from the brink of cirrhosis and more), strong and living a wonderful (AA-dedicated) life, at 366 days.

If I can come back (my everywhere was up, too, as Grymt said) - anyone can.
Mine ended pretty dramatically 8 months ago. In hospital, everything wrong, predicted to die. I was forced to quit and didn't even make the decision as I was intubated (sp?).

anyway, when I first came out, there were so many things my weak body at 120 lbs (high school weight) could not do. stand up quickly, write without shaking, etc. It went away after 2 months or so. the only "good" thing (and I know, I know) was that I looked good at 120. I am not up to 140 and not happy about that, but all things considered, I'll take that.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
G-Woman

The best part was waking up in the morning clear-headed without the 'mental horror show'. I no longer had any reason to feel the crippling guilt and shame, because I was no longer engaging in those behaviours. It gave me some breathing room to finally take stock of my emotional health and begin to heal.

Worst part: being stuck with myself 24/7! Good thing I'm not such an awful person after all.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi there, i'm also new to recovery and sobriety. I never thought I would make it to 4 weeks the first week. I wanted to climb the walls, I was restless and was constantly thinking obsessively about drinking. The craving were strong especially in the evening. But it got gradually better and life became sharper and possibilities became more real.
The negative: now not too many. My breast seems to have shrunk... I have to go shopping for new bras. I know a bit weird, maybe just a coincidence. I've not loss much weight so its not from weight loss.