Notices

Need help with conflict!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hugs, Kiki. There's a lot of great advice here.

I don't have any. I grew up feeling safe. What I do offer you is prayer, but you've been in my prayers since March. I'll up it though. Love you. You can do this - you are a strong and amazing woman.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for that amazing link Anna. I am half way through the article and I am learning A LOT!

I am taking notes and reading through each and every post you guys made. I need to drive my son somewhere and then I am going to continue reading!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey all, just wanted to contribute here. I started drinking heavily when I began my venture into Law...apparently this is quite common in the field, and lawyers, paralegals, judges, etc. often have addiction problems. I used the alcohol to avoid personal conflict. When my whole career became dealing with other peoples conflicts, I could no longer handle dealing with my own ones in my personal life.

Recently I've realized, all that time of ignoring my own personal problems and drinking them away has left me emotionally stunted and unable to deal with conflict at all in my personal life now. I've been recently diagnosed with a serious anxiety disorder myself...I understand wanting to go grab a drink when things happen. Sometimes it feels better to be drunk and not jumping at every little sound. Not advice really, but I understand how you feel. I'm willing to suffer through this with everyone here, day by day. Best of luck.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I hate conflict or even confrontation and try to avoid it. I know looking back when I was drinking I caused a lot of the arguments. My life seemed to be full of drama. When I don't drink my life seems much simpler. I've also learned healthier ways of dealing with conflict, taking a step back, breathe.
I agree ReadyAtLast. I think sometimes I create what I hate. I hate conflict but sometimes I subconciously search for it because it's what I have known my entire life. I need to just focus on my sobriety and my recovery program and the rest will work itself out.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Kiki: I'd go to a counselor for tips. This panic reaction is probably something that is fairly common and there are no doubt ways to deal with it. Drinking may seem like relief but it only makes it worse and as you know the alcohol slippery slope of self medication is not where you want to be. No way! It can only end in disaster, worse than merely panic. Good luck. Keep posting.

W.
You're absolutely right about alcohol only making things worse! I am exploring options for counseling now. Thank you for taking the time to post!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
I'm same way. Anger and conflicts are my main trigger. I've been known to have imagined arguments (all in my head) with people and gotten drunk over it.

Hey, I never said I was well.

Thanks for the topic
I've done that too! It's crazy, isn't it?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
I can relate to this,the need for a drink to calm down after confrontation or even upsetting thoughts.I am 9mths sober now and can deal with these issues without getting overly upset.Guess you want to give up drinking very soon?A wealth of support from this forum.Take care
Thanks Jojay! That gives me hope that you are having an easier time with conflict etc. after being sober for a while. Do you work a recovery program of any kind?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elliemae215 View Post
I am a recent soberer as of Day 7 for me. I find that when the thought enters my head by saying "A drink sounds good, or a glass of wine sounds good" I have been saying "Not today". By saying that, it doesn't seem like forever, and basically that's what we are talking about if we want to become sober. So far it has worked for me for a week. Which I know doesn't seem like a very long time.....but as you know.....it's a start! Plus I am determined for health reasons too. I've been checking in every day, I went to the SR meeting Friday night for the first time, and I've joined the Feb class too. All these things help. Keep posting! Have a great Day!
I am going to try the "not today" tool. It sounds like a good idea and it can't hurt, right? I think 7 days is awesome!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I don't really have any tips for you but I can tell you that alcohol was always the solution, no matter the problem. In reality, as you mentioned, it always makes it worse. The key for me was to fight through these situations without drinking. The first time is hard, as is the second and maybe the third, but its part of the process in my opinion. Lots of firsts in early sobriety.
You're definitely correct thomas. Each time I get through a situation without drinking I will build confidence. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

AA has helped me tremendously... I am only 4 months sober, and still have so much work to do on my soul and repairing my life, but I know that right now... I probably wouldn't still be sober if I didn't go to meetings.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hate conflict but as a sober adult I had to accept I'd find myself in conflict sometimes.

I try to get at whats eating me - is it anger, do I feel unfairly treated?

is it fear at an emotion I'm scared I can't control? Do I need people's approval? do I use that approval as some kind of validation?

I'm not saying any of these apply to you Kiki, but if you can pinpoint why conflict makes you feel so bad, chances are you can do something about it - something positive and life affirming, unlike drinking

There are a lot of good links here for a lot of the things we wind ourselves up over:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...f-respite.html

D
Wow! Great links!!! I found a lot of new tips and wrote them down in my journal. Now I just need to USE them!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubythrill View Post
AA has helped me tremendously... I am only 4 months sober, and still have so much work to do on my soul and repairing my life, but I know that right now... I probably wouldn't still be sober if I didn't go to meetings.
I agree! AA is a life saver. I am going to another meeting tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackDsMissus View Post
Hi I'm reading an absolutely fantastic book called Complex PTSD : From thriving to surviving. If you haven't read it already, I can't recommend enough to take a look at it on Amazon, the reviews alone are what convinced me to buy it. And, it's one of those game changer books where you suddenly understand what's going on and how you might do things differently. Best of luck!
Thank you for the book recommendation. I am going to look into it asap!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I agree with seeking a therapist. Unhealthy actions to deal with issues such as drinking as you know is not a good thing to do. They can help with getting over your issues and to find healthy options.
Thank you Forward. Therapy is a must!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Kiki, I also have PTSD from childhood trauma, and like you, I found that it got worse as I got older. I thought that when I left home, things would be okay, but of course it's not like that. I found this link posted by Morning Glory (our Admin) years ago and it's been so helpful to me. Basically it explains that you have a 60 to 90 second window (once an emotional memory is triggered) in which to shut it down. You can stop the overwhelming emotion before it takes hold.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anagement.html
Thanks so much for this Anna! I haven't gotten through all of it yet but am planning on finishing it tonight. I am taking notes too!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Kiki,

I'm glad you are here and posting. I used to pour myself a glass of wine as soon as I walked in the door from work to deal with whatever the stresses of the day were. It seemed like a good way to destress, but it actually just made me more anxious, and then I was dealing with whatever the current issue was on heightened anxiety, and a hangover.

I have worked with my doctor about my anxiety, and I take something at night to help me sleep, and have a prescription that I take occasionally when very anxious (a big presentation, or meeting, dealing with someone who is extremely angry). I also have found going for a walk helpful in being able to allow me to refocus, and to calm my nerves, and something that has really he,led me is mindfulness. There are a bunch of articles online if you google it, and even apps on your phone.

You can do this, start by not drinking today, plan out the time you would normally drink, and get rid of any alcohol so you do not have any temptations.

Looking forward to seeing you on here tomorrow!

❤️Delilah
Thank you Delilah! Walks are so therapeutic for me! I took my dog for a walk an hour ago and feel so good. I just need to keep doing it.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
Ok. This is going to not sound like great advice (but - mind you - my graduate degree is in Conflict Resolution...so whatever).

One of the most powerful tools I have held to deal with conflict is a joy in being alone, & a respect for that joy. My confidence in my own life grants me power.

Some people & situations are worth doing the work for & some are not. I am a listener & a compromiser & a negotiator, but - seriously!! - screw that sometimes!!

One of the most important things I ever learned was from an AA friend who irritated the **** out of me because no matter what my issue was, she would begin with "did you pray about it?" Ok. Whatever. But she once asked me - in the middle of a conflict in a relationship - "are you working harder on this than they are?"

I have never forgotten that wisdom.

See, I have a vested interest in "working harder on this than they are." This is my profession! I am a conflict Resolveolutionary!!

Her words freed me (thank you, wise Alaskan Julie forever & ever!!)

Are they working on it as hard as you are?

That is the only relevant question...
That's really good! Can you elaborate? When you say "am I working harder on this than they are" do you mean am I fighting more than they are???
Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sponsx View Post
Hi Kiki,

I also suffer from PTSD, childhood trauma and from the army. I was a heavy drinker that would routinely blow up and say fk it all and drink myself stupid.

I'm still fairly new to sobriety, 2 months 15 days, but I had the luxury of going to a rehab program and getting some really good therapy. If it is available to you, I would totally recommend counseling, I never thought it would help me but it has greatly.

What works for me, I set a boundary for myself, I will not lose my temper or allow myself to get to the point of the fk its. Sometimes you know you will be entering a frustrating situation, for those plan an escape route.. Politely excuse yourself from the situation and give yourself time to cool of. Remember no one but you can make you mad, you can control your response. It also helps to have someone who knows your situation, like a sponsor, to be able to call.

I'm no expert, just sharing what has worked for me so far, hopefully you find something that works for you.
Thanks Sponx. I totally relate to the "fk its"! I do that ALL the time! Great advice about having an exit strategy and allowing myself time tool cool off and call my sponsor.....
Old 02-06-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Kiki- just caught this thread. After my burns- I got PT. Not the same as from childhood- but maybe some common ground. I get overwhelming feelings of 'being there'. Eternity in a split second. Vivid, real- hellish. I breathe. I affirm to myself over and over and over- sometimes hundreds of times a day that I am okay. That the past is the past. That memories cannot hurt me. Then I go to a meeting, talk to someone, post at SR, journal. I avoid being by myself if I possibly can.
Prayer, PJ.
Great advice! I need to work on my positive affirmations! Absolutely!!!
Old 02-06-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Kiki,

Until I got really clean, maybe about 6 to 10 months...my personality was still under the influence of booze.

I obsessed every day about things.

I created internal stress.

As the days went on everything changed. Now I don't obsess, I move forward. If me and my wife argue, I calm down in moments vs days. Alcohol was the problem.

Addiction is the problem.

Thanks.
I agree. Thank you.