Notices

90 days sober...

Old 02-11-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

90 days sober...

Hey y'all, happy Saturday!

Well it came and went without any fanfare, but I hit 90 days sober a few days ago. As this isn't my first round of sobriety, things are settling down like last time and it's a really good feeling.

As with before, when I first stopped drinking, my mind and body were all up in arms about the cessation. Then when that settled, I was just bored...couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do sober. However, 90 days in I don't have those same feelings and I've been able to find productive things to occupy my mind and thoughts of drinking are gone. In fact, more so this time than before the urge to drink is absent.

I really think I'm done this time with drinking. This is the third time in the last three years that I've tried to stop and each time I gain a bit more insight...not just about the drinking and the quitting...but how my brain operates and the transition from one state to another.

I've learned more about my underlying anxiety and depression than ever before, and my propensity to lean on alcohol as a "med". I've also seen now three times the downside of drinking and how I just can't do it. It takes resolve and hard work to push past those anxious times, but doing so without alcohol is the way to go.

Glad to have SR along with me in this journey for sure.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 02-11-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! Massive congrats on the big NINE ZERO. nearly to double digits.
You got this Plure!
Old 02-11-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days! That's great.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

nice

Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ninety days sober!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome Plure - congrats!

D
Old 02-11-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats Plure
Old 02-11-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations Plure!!!! The next 90 are easier than the first 90. You got this one day at a time.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Feels great doesn’t it? And it keeps getting better too. Believe it or not, there even comes a point where the thought of drinking is a turn off.

Especially if you keep telling yourself you can't have "just one" . The more you tell yourself that, the more it becomes instinct.

I like that you've learned a little how the brain works. Me too. And for me, I finally appreciate how easy it is to train the brain and change its core beliefs with repetitive thoughts.

The power of thinking positively is amazing. Even if you don't believe what your saying at first. Eventually, you do and it becomes an assumed truth.

The same goes for negative self talk.

Keep up the good fight and keep on growing!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Plure!!!!!!

So happy for you!
Old 02-11-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just remember the sensation of being in control! It will be powerful when you might be distracted rather then an urge to drink. Congrats friend. Happy to hear!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats Plure! I am hoping to make it to 90! I agree with you that a lot of it can be self-medicating. Instead of really addressing the issues, we drink and they go away for a time. But they never go away, they are only watered down for a spell. Working on some of my demons right now too, without the booze.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertTraveler View Post
Congrats Plure! I am hoping to make it to 90! I agree with you that a lot of it can be self-medicating. Instead of really addressing the issues, we drink and they go away for a time. But they never go away, they are only watered down for a spell. Working on some of my demons right now too, without the booze.
That's the hardest part...staring down those demons or at least recognizing they are part of you and moving in the direction of managing things. For years I thought I could just will my demons away and then alcohol came along making things better, like you said, for a little while. Problem is they come roaring back, smacking me down harder than had I just learned to manage in a positive way. Now finally, I feel like I'm on that good path. Sounds like you are too!

And yes, you will make it to 90! Then 180 and more...
Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post

The power of thinking positively is amazing. Even if you don't believe what your saying at first. Eventually, you do and it becomes an assumed truth.
Yes it definitely does. And you're right...at first it sounds like just lip service, but after a while your mind starts to believe it and even start to notice those small but positive things that add up like droplets of water filling up a pitcher.

I read a book that talked about how our brains focus on negative things like velcro (probably for survival reasons) and let positive things slip past like teflon. You have to affirmatively seek out those positive things you come across and pause long enough to let them sink in for a little while (pretty sky, nice flowers, fun outing with friends or watching a favorite show). Over time this is like exercise, building up your brain's happiness like gaining muscle.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Could not find a fan fare. You deserve one.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 and as importantly on the the positive mindset! That's wonderful you're content with being sober, quite inspiring.