Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 1

Old 02-03-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey all!

I see Mr. Rogers! Nice avvie, BGJ.

omni, I'm so with you on cooking and enjoying dinner again. Too many times wasted on eating whatever was quickest, easiest and within reach and even while dining out the food wasn't given as much attention as deserved. We'll appreciate it so much more when not focused on drinks!

Okay, it's Friday. By Monday we'll have gotten through the worst of physical withdrawals. I can't wait!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
BGJ

It's a wonderful day to be sober. Back to work for me after a couple of days off.

Welcome to any newcomers and congrats to everyone for being sober today. Have a wonderful Friday!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone.
Star, I was thinking the same thing this morning. I went out last night to do a community bicycle cruiser ride that happens once a month. I normally would have drank beer, come home lazy, ordered pizza, stayed up too late, and woken up feeling like hell, and regretted the whole thing. Instead, came home sober, made a chicken & spinach salad, went to bed by 10, and woke up feeling good!
From what I've read, and people I've talked to (my sister is a nutritionist), taking care of your body through good food and exercise can be very helpful. It can't hurt anyways. AND...cooking occupies time in the evenings. That's a big one for me.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Ugggh.... craving, craving, craving.... physical symptoms are going but my HEAD... seriously, it is out of control! Is there an off switch?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi minion. It will pass. Drink some water, tea, juice etc And try to eat something that kills it fr me. Cleaning my teeth always puts me off cravings too. Google urge surfing it does help. The cravings will pass you don't have to act on them. You're in control.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

And stay on sr of course
Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I would like to join you all. Day 1. I am going to try out AA. Was going to go to a meeting this afternoon, but one of my son's started throwing up at 3 am. I'm hoping the whole house doesn't come down with it.

I will not drink today.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Welcomechick chick. Hope your son is OK. Think a a do online meetings which may help till you can get to a real one.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Minion - I don't know if it helps you but eating something definitely helps anytime I'm having a craving.

ReadyAtLast- I've always heard that about the teeth brushing. I'm going to have to give that a try sometime.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
BGJ

How you doing now, Minion? Good for you for getting in here and talking about it. Keeping those thoughts bottled up is not good for us.

Welcome chickchick!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Count me in. Day 1 again. Tapered all week, now the hard works begins anew!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

About to head out of work and get my hair done-will probably pick up a hot chocolate on the way
So...I have been a problem drinker for too many years to count. I'm turning 40 this year and it all probably started in college. It was so fun, up until maybe 5 years ago. That is when I started dating the father of my 19 month old daughter, who I am still with today. Both of us drank shot upon shot of vodka daily until blacking out. When we started trying to get pregnant, I immediately stopped drinking and did great throughout the pregnancy and when she was first born. He has actually been sober for 3 years-his family and ironically enough, me, had an intervention for him! He completed detox and hasn't touched a drop since.
Anyways, after our daughter was born, things became very stressful, as she was diagnosed with a progressive, typically terminal illness. She was in the NICU for 2 months after her birth and has had numerous hospitalizations, including 3 surgeries in her short life. He has been able to stay sober through all of it...I, unfortunately, have not and have become, I guess, a binge drinker.
But....I have had enough...I have to stop. For myself, my own health, my family, my job and my daughter. She needs me to be well, so I can help take care of her.
That's the short of the long of it
I'm very excited to begin this journey with all of you. Have a wonderful night and stay sober!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
BGJ

Welcome steve-in-kville!

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Readytodothis. Very powerful stuff. Certainly sounds like sobriety is the right choice for you and everyone else in your life.

Heading to work. Wishing everyone a safe and sober evening!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thank you BGJ...yes, sobriety is most definitely the right decision for my family and I.
I got to the hairdresser and they as usual, they asked if I wanted a glass of wine while waiting. Glad I got the hot chocolate.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wilcox605 View Post
Hi Everyone.
Star, I was thinking the same thing this morning. I went out last night to do a community bicycle cruiser ride that happens once a month. I normally would have drank beer, come home lazy, ordered pizza, stayed up too late, and woken up feeling like hell, and regretted the whole thing. Instead, came home sober, made a chicken & spinach salad, went to bed by 10, and woke up feeling good!
From what I've read, and people I've talked to (my sister is a nutritionist), taking care of your body through good food and exercise can be very helpful. It can't hurt anyways. AND...cooking occupies time in the evenings. That's a big one for me.
Excellent!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

So tired yet can't sleep. Don't know why, nothing on my mind. Maybe just brain and body recalibrating themselves!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Minion, I agree with the others and as soon as I feel anything like a craving I eat something. I'm eating constantly but I'm much more concerned about not drinking than gaining a couple of pounds. Next time I'm at the grocery store I'll pick up some lemon-lime sparkling water and some cucumbers to slice and throw in a pitcher of water. Along with some tea bags.
Any craving seems to pass in 10-15 minutes.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

ChickChick, I hope your son feels better soon!

steve-in-kville, have you tapered off alcohol before? I'm curious as I've read that it helps prevent some of the withdrawal symptoms. I don't know that I'd be strong enough to do something like that so I've a lot of respect to those that can! I've heard of others quitting smoking by tapering.

Readytodothis, I love getting my hair done! I forgot about the wine. You'll have to start making morning appointments so they offer coffee or juice instead.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

RAL, go to sleep!
Ohhhh... I might be up for a while tonight too. I could take a Benadryl again but I've done that a few days in a row now. Bad enough that my body has to recover from wine, I don't want to add meds with anticholinergic properties into that mix.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

count me in! I posted earlier, but I think it got lost! Welcome everyone!