Notices

Holiday Weekender for Christmas 2016

Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Yes, Bim, the author of Watership Down just died. He was 96.

Your weather doesn't sound very inviting SW. Warmish and sunny here. That will change, I'm sure.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Just back from walking the pooch so chilly & misty tonight
Its freezation up north too wolfy. Its not very often I'm de-icing the car mid afternoon!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

I'm back at my own place thank God.
My mother drives me INSANE.
I told her that I might meet friends tonight - her response was "oh, going out at this hour of the night?" It's 6:44 PM here by the way.

She mentioned something to me about how heartbreaking it is to have a child who is in her words "mentally ill". I think she was referring to my sister. She never mentioned how difficult it can be for children to have a mother who has mental problems. (Something she will never admit to and gets crazy if we mention it.)

The way I see it is that my mother's problems are far, far more severe than my sister ever had.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

You're a good daughter for visiting. I'm glad that being on your own has distanced you a lot from the crazy. It seems that now she just exasperates you; in the old days she could really affect you deeply.

You have a lovely relationship with your dad.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's colder up north too B be safe on the roads driving I think there will be more ice/frost tomorrow
Old 12-28-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good too see you biminiblue

It is taters in London

Translation - taters in the molf = cold
Old 12-28-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Good too see you biminiblue

It is taters in London

Translation - taters in the molf = cold
That should read mold not "molf"

Really!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Goodnight all.
I have overeaten again today.... Mr P has whiskey whilst Mrs P drinks herbal tea..... and eats far too much.... especially sugar....
Still it's better than the alternative. Xx
Old 12-28-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

A friend of mine on another thread made a classic statement: "Better fat than drunk!"
Old 12-28-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I'm not convinced fat is better than drunk.

That doesn't really ring true for me. It was far harder for me to lose 60 pounds and to keep it off than to stop drinking. Both are fatal. Food is socially acceptable, even encouraged. I had just as much self-loathing wrapped up in my weight as I did in my drinking, but I just couldn't hide my weight.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

I see what you're saying: I can't have just a little bit of sugar. I can't moderate. I've found I can't even have it in the house. I've got to purge it every bit as much as I had to dump alcohol down the drain when getting sober.

Others keep bringing it into the house. It has been relatively easy to keep my home alcohol-free, because everyone agreed my drunkenness was a problem; but nobody thinks my sugar problem is any big deal, so I'm on my own.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Morning all - haven't caught up yet on all the posts that came in overnight.
This is one of those times where I actually WISH I could be transported to the cold (talk to me again about that once it's winter again here): it's been soooo humid, and pretty high temps - which taken together, as many would know, can make one feel quite ill. Esp those like me with things like lung disease and other chronic conditions.

I finally was able to get Bess out of the house early this morning, to the beach. Even there, whilst it was lovely walking along with my feet in the water, it was hot n humid. Came home sweating like a pig, followed by doing a bit of sweeping up of the vast leaves detritus from yesterday's strong northerly winds.

This tropical low (an intense one) is coming via the northerlies all the way from Central Australia, down to most of south and south eastern States. Won't cool down a little here in melbs till around Saturday.........

Anyway, yesterday, I've remembered (after so many summers...duh!) to get in some electrolyte drinks (Hydralyte) to have as well as all the water. And yes, as some of you know - I have been drinking (wine), most days; aside from all the other reasons not to drink, it of course adds to dehydration. I'll do my very best to keep away from it today; if I do cave later on, I know to keep it limited and to eat what I can manage (have near-zero appetite in the heat even sober). If only for the sake of the old bod.

I'm sorry to everyone who might be offended by me posting during a relapse period, while you're working so very hard to get through this time sober. Having said that, though: reading and posting on SR helps keep me looking forward to sobriety again, and very importantly, actually helps my mental health to stay reasonably balanced. Of course, I rely on the mods to delete any of my posts if they're inappropriate. I always do my best to keep it from being unwieldy or over the top, truly.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

At least we can drive legally under the influence of pie Gilmer.

I'm sure alcohol is worse than sugar, but not by a whole lot. When I was overweight I would frequently eat nothing but sugary stuff all day long. It's a huge battle for me, too.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Perhaps better to compensate for cravings for alcohol over this silly season by eating stuff? That is ok- eating too much does not kill others or have terrible repercussions- if only done every now and then. For me it is ANZAC biscuits. I draw the line at supermarket mince pies- ugh! Hope all are having a peaceful, quiet and sober in 'tween period.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Bemyself, hanging with us is a great way to get motivation to give it up for a higher good.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

I made ANZAC biscuits for Christmas here! None of my family had tried them before, and they were a big hit!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

G- a CONVERT? Do you know where they come from? I could write an essay for you? Does the dog like ANZACS? Virtually indestructible.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Yes, PJ, I do know the history. When my tenant's Aussie guest made some for me to try, I was really skeptical; I thought that surely something so sturdy would taste like a mud brick!

Au contraire, Pierre! Absolutely amazing! I understand my American facsimiles can't quite compare to the real thing--but they're still pretty darned good!

But why am I going on again about sugar?

I really am an addict. I absolutely have an addictive personality.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Your posts certainly don't offend me bemyself, I hope you don't cave today

I had to Google Anzac biscuits, they would be a use for the Golden Syrup I bought for some recipe and never got round to using

Half past midnight here, time to raise the drawbridge and snuff out the candles at Saoutchik Towers
Old 12-28-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

I substituted honey.