Notices

Thanksgiving Weekender 22-27 November2016

Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

In recovery everything is nothing and flipped, great and small, happy or sad. The posts are so good- raw, honest and real. This season is one definitely one for me to plan the plan. The only constant is change. Sober change is scary at times.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

VMan

Sorry to complain about such a little thing when some of you are going through real hard times....
No such thing as this here. Every little thing that you feel is valid. You're feeling a threat to your sobriety and this is exactly the place to discuss it. There is no comparison on who's hurting more, only that there's hurting and the reaching out to people for assistance.

In fact, what you had to endure is what I consider to be one of my worst nightmares. I had a hard enough time going to dinner with the work crew a while back. But, at least the goal was a good "dinner". Standing around with people in groups who are doing nothing but drinking alcohol is a hair raiser for me. Glad you got through it!
Old 11-25-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

bump
Old 11-25-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Well, Thanksgiving is over, but can I get in here? Thanksgiving Celebrated ! Wine included. Help

I love the quotes here, and I am looking for a way to stay sober -- one hour at a time. I have been trying to do this for so many years now, that I'm afraid I am quite angry with God. Why doesn't He keep his promise to help those who pray to Him? This may not be the proper post for this site, and if so, I apologize.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Hamartia View Post
I love the quotes here, and I am looking for a way to stay sober -- one hour at a time. I have been trying to do this for so many years now, that I'm afraid I am quite angry with God. Why doesn't He keep his promise to help those who pray to Him? This may not be the proper post for this site, and if so, I apologize.
Hi Hamartia, it's absolutely proper! You are obviously a person of strong faith and believe in the power of prayer. He does promise to help those to pray to Him. You said above that you love the quotes. I've often heard the phrase "He helps those who help themselves" which I'm sure you've heard. I understand your anger about this. Your faith is strong and you've been praying but have you also been working a plan? I see you've been posting out in the Newcomers Forum. Quitting is not an easy task, it takes some diligence and the one thing that can make it easier is a plan for what you're going to do instead of drinking. Do you like to read? Can you go for a walk?

Combining prayer with a plan can be a powerful thing. The more you are active in recovery, and the more you do to support yourself the easier it will be. It really is something you have to do yourself. You can also gain strength to work your plan through prayer.

I'm glad you're here.

Do you have a plan?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Mr

Today felt like running a Marathon.
This evening feels like I won that Marathon.

Pizza night ( to hell with the extra kilos )
Old 11-25-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

5.59pm!

Welcome to the Weekenders thread Harmartia, as long as you are still breathing you are never too late for the Weekender bus. Staying sober or drug free is not easy but teading other peoples posts and posting yourself helps to find the right mindset to beat the addictive voice
Old 11-25-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Well done for getting through it Vman - I don't know, I think work functions may be the worst situation.
We've got three christmas parties coming up - yep 3.
I'm not going to one, will pop my head in at another and have to be there for the third, but will make sure I have an event to head onto after that one.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

(((((Hamartia))))).
Old 11-25-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I'm all set for the Christmas party in my sparkly dress but I'm not sure if I want to go. To be fair it's not a Christmas office party in the conventional sense. What it is, is dinner with a group of colleagues in one of the fanciest restaurants in town paid for by the consultants we work for - they can well afford it I'm sure.

Anyway I think I was more enthusiastic about the idea of it - I'm finally feeling more confident about myself and I was eager about being more sociable and feeling more sociable.
Anyway I said I would go so I should go.
Wish me luck! I'll check in when I get home tonight.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you got through your lunch "do" Vman. I must admit i never do them.

For me the hardest thing would be to join some normal drinkers enjoying a few drinks and some good conversation like drinking is often portrayed by advertisers. If on the other hand people have had more than a few drinks and are getting loud and laughing at anything then it always reinforces my desire not to be one of them

Shared a carriage with some boisterous types on the commute home. They were not obnoxious, just annoying.

We got paid yesterday at work and people got their Christmas bonus so there were a few hungover people about today. I SO don't miss that
Old 11-25-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Have fun tonight Tetra!
Old 11-25-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Good luck with your party ?)
Old 11-25-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Mr

So any good ideas for xmas presents
Old 11-25-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

Sao - That was exactly me today .

I've had a terrible day at work. I don't remember last time I was so pi$$ed off. And what sucks most that I did great job this week even according to my hardcore perfectionist standards.

Time to re-learn how to distance myself emotionally.

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

To newcomers - remember that Holidays are not some days that were created to obligate us to drink and stuff ourselves with food up to madness. If anything they give more reason to celebrate different shades of life, and what is better way to do it than to steer clear from poison.

Have a good weekend, all.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
My piece of good mood.

Listened to audiobook today where this scene was mentioned and checked it. Never seen this movie.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry you had such a bad day MidnightBlue. At least you have the weekend ahead

I have no great ideas for Christmas presents Vman but i have seen a couple of bad ones, i like animals but advent calenders for pets. Really?
Old 11-25-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Dinner improves the prospect 200% as far as I'm concerned, Tetra. Bonding and good will can come from sharing a meal, especially a really nice one. Much better than simply milling around with drinks.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Tetra, have a good time.

MB, I love that movie! Serpentine, serpentine!!!!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I hope you have a relaxing and pleasant weekend, MB!