Notices

Thanksgiving Weekender 22-27 November2016

Old 11-22-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi guys
Im thankful that my mom is still alive at 83.
Im thankful that my husband put up with my drinking every night for 5 years.
Im thankful that my young adult daughter's still love me and respect me (i was a lovable drunk)even though I couldn't remember what they told me while I was drinking.
And now im thankful for this forum and to know I'm not alone. ��
Old 11-22-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You are never alone

Here
Old 11-22-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
Old 11-22-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Dee! Thank you for being here for us and posting this.

I will be needing to work on this one especially...

Thanksgiving is usually about family. If there are people in your family who trigger you, be ready. You don't have to go to every fight you're invited to .. plan what you'll say or do if someone gives you a hard time.

Here was a great reply from that article.... Worth me writing out for my own and others.

A great tool I was taught in "treatment" was
>> instead of saying "I don't want to drink" say "I want to stay sober".

Thought it was too basic, until I actually used it.

Amazing how our minds can be adjusted through positive thoughts. It made me feel so strong. Try it!

\
Old 11-22-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fortunately it's just me and hubby this Thanksgiving. If my daughter was here then I would be very much tested, as she is extremely high strung and emotional. I love her, of course, but I'm taking the time while we are estranged to work on myself and stay sober (We're not estranged bc of my past binge drinking. I think she has alcohol and anxiety issues herself and doesn't like to be told the truth about anything). Last year, while I was helping her with her baby shower for my second grandson, she had my nerves so tore up that I ended up getting drunk as a skunk with margaritas at a place I went to later that afternoon with my sister. Don't remember getting back to my daughter's or passing out on her couch. That will never happen again. I am learning everyday how to deal with my emotions and not use alcohol as a band aid when issues arise.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

And this weekend hubby and I will be going to the Clemson/South Carolina football game. I have already told him that I am not drinking alcohol and will be fixing virgin mojitos for myself. Got the ingredients today!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey BeeLover - went to a game 2 weeks ago. Tailgated and stayed sober....Enoy the game food and your new drink!

It was fun to go to the game...

Watching all the drinking and crazy drunks in the parking lot before and after the game was actually good therapy in a way... It's amazing what you really see.. When sober.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Weekenders thread MidnightRider and Beelover and well done for being aware of possible triggers

I mentioned before that in the UK we don't celebrate Thanksgiving but it is probably only a matter of time, we already "celebrate" Black Friday

It is lights out time at Saoutchik Towers, I am not feeling great myself, headache and the roof of my mouth is sore. Hopefully sleep will improve things
Old 11-22-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Hey BeeLover - went to a game 2 weeks ago. Tailgated and stayed sober....me joy the game food and your new drink!

It was fun to go to the game... Watching all the drunks was a hoot too!
That's what I'm banking on, and seeing all of them lined up at the portapotties!!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Welcome to the Weekenders thread MidnightRider and Beelover and well done for being aware of possible triggers

I mentioned before that in the UK we don't celebrate Thanksgiving but it is probably only a matter of time, we already "celebrate" Black Friday

It is lights out time at Saoutchik Towers, I am not feeling great myself, headache and the roof of my mouth is sore. Hopefully sleep will improve things
Try to get some good sleep, Saoutchik!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm staying away from Black Friday, will be home getting ready for my trip and making potato salad. I am a firm believer in shopping online!
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

No Black Friday shopping for me. Although I'm dropping my two children off at the local gymnastics center from 9 to noon for open gym. They will need the exercise after being off of school and cooped up in the house for three days.

Glad to see everyone. I was wondering why the weekend thread looked so barren but that's because Dee moved over here. Thank you Dee.

I'm thankful that I don't have to drink any more. That I realized that I could get through life without it. I'm grateful that I still have a job and a car and a house and relatively well adjusted children. And a sense of humor.

Sao, feel better. Sounds yucky. Congrats Tetra on shotgun again.

See you all later.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Today was not a good day.
I had to cancel a surgery because the theatre list was too long. I called the doctor at the other hospital and asked him who will I take off? He told me I was actually just going to call you because I'm bringing in a patient from this hospital. So that was ok I guess.
So then my friend came back from visiting her husband and she was crying. She just said "ladies I have to go. I just have to go because he is not going to get better". I was broken hearted. Most of the other secretaries work mornings only so in the afternoon it's usually just the two of us and she was very good to me when I was new and scared so I feel very close to her.

So our manager called me and said "Tetra would you be interested in doing some extra typing? The overtime would be useful coming up to Christmas?" Truthfully I would have helped out for nothing but the extra money will be helpful.
So I was standing at the printer at 7:45 this evening and my own doctor came in after the ward round. He said "oh extra work I presume? It's very decent of you to help out".

So I have my usual candle lighting for my friend, her husband, myself and for anyone else who is distracted and/or struggling tonight.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Today more than ever, gratitude governs my life.

My mother died late last night.

I'm grateful that her final weeks were comfortable and that she was surrounded by family. I'm grateful that in-home hospice was available to us, putting Mom in the hands of compassionate professionals. They put her humanity and dignity at the center of their care. I'm grateful that she set an example for me, one to which I'll aspire for the rest of my life.

She was wise and kind. She loved to learn. I was so fortunate to be her daughter.

I'm grateful for SR and people like Dee. When I first joined the site, a little more than three years ago, I quickly learned that there are people here who are wise, too. One of the things I learned is that life will continue to happen, good and bad and on its own terms. Drinking in response to the bad times will do nothing to make them go away -- it only delays and diminishes our response to challenges.

With sobriety, we can build a solid foundation underneath us, one that helps keep us secure when tremors rumble through the ground around us.

I'm going to be gone for a while. I'm headed back to my hometown for the holiday, then returning here briefly with my nephew before the two of us leave for several days in Washington, DC -- a gift to him from Auntie Venecia for being a good kid and a senior in high school. It was planned quite a while ago and as a family we decided to carry on with it. Then it's back home for the funeral the weekend after next.

If you're new, welcome. Sobriety is a commitment and it takes work. And you will never regret it.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Venecia, I am sorry for you loss.

But your post is so full of warmth and love, that it sets an example of going through hard times.

Hugs to you.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Today more than ever, gratitude governs my life.

My mother died late last night.

I'm grateful that her final weeks were comfortable and that she was surrounded by family. I'm grateful that in-home hospice was available to us, putting Mom in the hands of compassionate professionals. They put her humanity and dignity at the center of their care. I'm grateful that she set an example for me, one to which I'll aspire for the rest of my life.

She was wise and kind. She loved to learn. I was so fortunate to be her daughter.

I'm grateful for SR and people like Dee. When I first joined the site, a little more than three years ago, I quickly learned that there are people here who are wise, too. One of the things I learned is that life will continue to happen, good and bad and on its own terms. Drinking in response to the bad times will do nothing to make them go away -- it only delays and diminishes our response to challenges.

With sobriety, we can build a solid foundation underneath us, one that helps keep us secure when tremors rumble through the ground around us.

I'm going to be gone for a while. I'm headed back to my hometown for the holiday, then returning here briefly with my nephew before the two of us leave for several days in Washington, DC -- a gift to him from Auntie Venecia for being a good kid and a senior in high school. It was planned quite a while ago and as a family we decided to carry on with it. Then it's back home for the funeral the weekend after next.

If you're new, welcome. Sobriety is a commitment and it takes work. And you will never regret it.
So very sorry for your loss, and it's a pleasure to meet you.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Prayers, V
Old 11-23-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

((((((((Venecia))))))))

I'm sorry. I am glad that you have the satisfaction of knowing that she died happy and loved.

Hope you and your nephew have a great time in DC.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Musket!
Happy Thanksgiving to all yous Americans who celebrate it.
And happy weekend to all of yous who don't celebrate the rape and pillage of indigenous peoples and the taking of their land.

Be safe, be happy, be thankful that you are who you are, AND, sober or getting there... sober gets better every year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
musket.jpg (66.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-23-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Great to see you, LBrain!