Notices

Thanksgiving Weekender 22-27 November2016

Old 11-23-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Today more than ever, gratitude governs my life.

My mother died late last night.

I'm grateful that her final weeks were comfortable and that she was surrounded by family. I'm grateful that in-home hospice was available to us, putting Mom in the hands of compassionate professionals. They put her humanity and dignity at the center of their care. I'm grateful that she set an example for me, one to which I'll aspire for the rest of my life.

She was wise and kind. She loved to learn. I was so fortunate to be her daughter.

I'm grateful for SR and people like Dee. When I first joined the site, a little more than three years ago, I quickly learned that there are people here who are wise, too. One of the things I learned is that life will continue to happen, good and bad and on its own terms. Drinking in response to the bad times will do nothing to make them go away -- it only delays and diminishes our response to challenges.

With sobriety, we can build a solid foundation underneath us, one that helps keep us secure when tremors rumble through the ground around us.

I'm going to be gone for a while. I'm headed back to my hometown for the holiday, then returning here briefly with my nephew before the two of us leave for several days in Washington, DC -- a gift to him from Auntie Venecia for being a good kid and a senior in high school. It was planned quite a while ago and as a family we decided to carry on with it. Then it's back home for the funeral the weekend after next.

If you're new, welcome. Sobriety is a commitment and it takes work. And you will never regret it.
Venevia
Sorry for your lose...... i am new here 21 days tomorrow....im glad to have found this site .....there is so much wisdom here.
Thank you
Old 11-23-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
You are never alone

Here
Thanks Della
Old 11-23-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Sorry about your Mum, Venecia - it is good that your nephew has you around at this time and also that you have him to focus on. Good to have mutual support.

I wish you and all our US friends a happy thanksgiving. Hope you all have a peaceful and sober day.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy Thanksgiving America
Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sorry about you mum ven, glad she had good care though as well of course her loving family.
Just about to get up and start my day here, it's cold and wet so I shall wrap up warm xx
Old 11-24-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Good Morning and Happy Sober Thursday!

I know that all of you don't celebrate Thanksgiving but I wanted to take a moment to tell you all how grateful I am for you and for this board. I may not take the time to reply in this thread to all posts directly but I read everything depending on how crazy work is. If it were not for you guys and this board I could have easily gone off the deep end many times. Sometimes, all it takes is coming here and reading to get a sobriety recharge and to help refocus. I am eternally grateful to all of you for this.

I have something realllllllllly exciting going on right now. This board has motivated me. I started to think about what the most common theme is here of not succeeding in the beginning or relapsing after a period of time. Yes, indeed, it comes down to not being able to overcome cravings but really, what is it all about? It's about sidestepping our mindfulness of why we quit in the first place. Additionally, not having a solid plan in place to follow through when that time comes. Additionally, not being ACTIVE in recovery. There are so many programs that are out there to attend. So many sobriety tools to put into your toolkit. But, what good is this if you don't use those tools?

So, I started thinking, what if there were a group at the recovery center that I volunteer at that was meant, not to replace, but to enhance the ability to actively use the tools that you've chosen? To assist in creating a plan and following it? To be together to discuss tools with like minded individuals? There are no requirements for how often one should attend, this program is all about assisting consistent mindfulness. If you're new you're probably going to come weekly, maybe down the road, less. It's a whenever you need it group.

What is this group? Here's the flyer I created that will be posted around the center to tweak inquisitiveness.

AWARE stands for Actively Working Accountability Recovery Exercises

REP stands for Recovery Enhancement Program

This idea was created all due to this board. Being ACTIVE in recovery. Formulating a PLAN, and WORKING it. The whole basis is the sharing of ideas and discussing what worked out and what didn't. Each person is responsible for their own plan but we get to share our successes and what didn't work so well. This group includes all drugs of choice and regardless if you're involved in secular or non secular programs.

Side note: this program will not support discussing programs of choice, rather that it’s a part of the toolkit. AWARE recognizes that programs of choice are essential to sobriety, but cross discussion comparing these programs will not be allowed. This detracts from the goal of the group which is a positive environment that enhances each individual’s self-coordination of a plan that assists them in staying mindful. The entire focus is ACTIVE recovery. Staying, AWARE. Newcomers may attend weekly. Longer term recovery individuals may attend once a month. Whatever the current balance is that’s necessary to maintain mindfulness. There are no requirements other than the goal of staying happy and active in sobriety.

Soooooooooo, I'm just a bit excited to get this going. I have to go and sign a facilitator agreement this coming week and I expect the group to begin sometime mid December. I'm going to be posting these flyers around the center when I go in this Sunday.

This idea was all due to the reflection of the commonalities of what fails us. I'm hoping this combats that and assists people in remaining sober. We will also be dedicating a portion of the meeting discussing CRAVEBUSTERS.

I am so grateful for this board and for all of you. This idea would have never presented itself were I not a part of this community.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

That's really excellent, LadyBlue! I'll bet this program will be very useful to a lot of people! Assist them in thinking outside the box to really take control of their recovery! Very cool!
Old 11-24-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wow thats really thoughtful of you to start a group like that LadyBlue, i'm sure there are lots of people out there who could benefit from hearing some positive actions as well as not drinking or drugging
Old 11-24-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm in for the long weekend. This will be the 2nd holiday sober for me. I'm looking forward to many more.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Venecia, you are in our thoughts and prayers sorry for your loss.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rainypnw!
Old 11-24-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hugs @ ven ,

Hope everyone having thanksgiving for escaping from england day are enjoying it . it's only another sober day to get through, we build the significance ourselves , let our expectations run away with themselves .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-24-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I went to an aftercare meeting tonight. It's frightening how many people had relapsed and you can always tell before they even speak a word.

Anyway the registrar came to me today and asked "does your consultant have a theatre list Friday 2 weeks? Because we all have to go to Dublin for a meeting so he'll be on his own". Now, I already have patients pencilled in for that day so I said "God I hope so".
I thought I should double check so I called his mobile and told him he will be on his own that day with 2 theatre. There was a silence before he started laughing and said "don't worry. Actually I'll be delighted to be on my own because I'll get the patients done faster. You don’t worry about that. Just keep booking them in for me and I'll keep operating".
He seems to laugh at me a lot, not really in a mean way though

I swear he has so much energy for a man over 60. I'm only 30 some thing and I wish I had a fraction of that energy. I know he jogs and cycles because I have seen him out and about. I'll have to look into that...

The trainees think they run this hospital. They think the place will collapse if they are not here.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the thread Rainy and FacingFuture

That is impressive for a guy over 60 Tetra, i expect as a medical man he looks after himself

Well i am 56 and i cannot keep my eyes open mich longer so it is time to snuff out the candles and raise the drawbridge at Saoutchik Towers

Have a GRRRREAT Thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Glad you're here Rainy and FacingFuture!

Well i am 56 and i cannot keep my eyes open mich longer so it is time to snuff out the candles and raise the drawbridge at Saoutchik Towers
Ok saou you just confirmed it. My husband is 56 and I'm 54. We laughed at ourselves for going to bed between 7 and 8 and getting up between 4 and 5. So, don't lament, you are in good company

Venecia, I hope you're doing ok.

I hope all that struggling stay close. This is a tough weekend. I had a bit of a down day reminiscing about my mom and dad. Then, I thought about it and how happy they'd be to see my life right now. Helped to turn the damper around for me.

The stuffed peppers were yummy. I have lowfat ice cream bars in the freezer so I had one for dessert. Later, I felt like another one. My hubby asked "Having another ice cream?" To which I responded "Heck, no, I'm having another piece of pie!"

I do have to say that's the one thing I missed. A nice piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Hope all who celebrated had a great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Venecia,
Apologies for the late response.

I'd like to offer my condolences for your loss.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Ven, thinking of you.

Im in. Had a very good day and Im happy I didn't buy booze to 'reward' myself. thankfully my skin is still crawling with thoughts of last time.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hmmm.

I went to bed early last night; I wake up this morning and see an empty pie plate!

I'm SURE there is some left over; I think we had four pies altogether, and I only found evidence of two empties.

The others must be out in my son's car being refrigerated.

Let's just hope so.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I texted my younger daughter and asked her to please pick up a pumpkin pie on her way up here.

She replied that the Lord must have been looking out for me, because somebody just randomly gave her a whole pie the other day, and she had planned to bring it up anyway!

A couple months minutes later, my sister-in-law came in with a cooler full of stuff to make a big breakfast for everyone!

I guess I won't have to clobber those people who are "not a mindreader."
Old 11-25-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Mr

just back in the office after a work lunch. Couldnt really get out of going. Three colleagues got promotion. God was I stressed. It started out "what are you drinking"... "juice..." "noooo come on Irishman get some beer..."

I got juice. There we were 40ish standing in little groups alcohol everywhere, friday feeling, everyone going around from group to group trying to join in on discussions.. god i hate that. Either its still too early or im just not made for social gatherings.

Dont know why but these sort of events seem to drain the blood out of me.
I can get up on a stage and give a presentation no problem but theses gettogethers, no thanks.
Glad I got through it.

Sorry to complain about such a little thing when some of you are going through real hard times....

Roll on the weekend